2015 Subaru WRX

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

2015 Subaru WRX

Post by Boston Fit »

Subaru is flip-flopping. The previous-gen WRX was available in stick and auto, current-gen is stick-only, and next-gen 2015 model will be offered in stick and CVT.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-subaru ... 00155.html

2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: 2015 Subaru WRX

Post by AHTOXA »

Looks pretty good, but I'd be interested in a hatch.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Looks pretty good, but I'd be interested in a hatch.
Being a married guy with a kid, I'd look like a tool driving a WRX hatch. It's def a bachelor's car, impression wise.

That is not to say it is a bad looking car by any means, but they certainly aren't aiming that particular vehicle at a family :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't really care about impressions. Also, there plently of married guys in 40's with kids driving WRX's and Evos.

Impressions of others don't much get in the way of me doing what I like or driving what I like.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Same here. I see plenty of older guys, with kids or car-seat in tow, driving WRXs (even STi's).

Maybe they see it as a cheaper "mid-life crisis" alternative. Not everyone can afford a Corvette, financially or otherwise, especially if they have kids.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Exterior looks meh to me, the previous gen looked a lot more aggressive but the interior is improved, still sucky but looks a little better.

Supposedly, there isn't going to be a hatch offered at least initially. :(
2012 VW Golf R
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

daleadbull wrote:Exterior looks meh to me, the previous gen looked a lot more aggressive but the interior is improved, still sucky but looks a little better.

Supposedly, there isn't going to be a hatch offered at least initially. :(
I would be hard pressed to be interested in buying one without the hatch. The hatchback makes it more useful, at least in my opinion (though I'm obviously pro-wagon/hatch).

And the back seat isn't especially spacious, at least from memory on the last time that I saw one.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

To me, the way a car looks absolutely matters. There are some cars - even brands - that I avoid for aesthetic or other intangible reasons. I'm willing to bet that the surpassing majority of consumers are like-minded, and that car makers respond by investing heavily in exterior design and branding.

The WRX is great on paper - AWD, hatch, stick, and fast - but it has always looked a little too conspicuous for my tastes. A bit overdesigned; not enough fly-under-the-radar-ness. But I will say that this new version looks tamer (without actually being tamer), which I feel is a step in the right direction.

Still, there are tons of WRX's up here in New England. Volkswagen GTI's too. Just eyeballing it, those two models seem to be more popular than Civic Si's or Mazdaspeed3's in the Boston area. I don't know how that compares to national trends.
2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Between the Si, GTI, WRX or Speed3, I'd buy the speed3. Looks like the average Mazda3 to the average eye and goes like stink. Versatile as well.

Edit. That is if I didn't need AWD. If I were back in the northern climate, I'd buy the WRX.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

If you are going for hardcore performance, there is always the STI too.
2013 Honda Civic Si
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:Between the Si, GTI, WRX or Speed3, I'd buy the speed3. Looks like the average Mazda3 to the average eye and goes like stink. Versatile as well.

Edit. That is if I didn't need AWD. If I were back in the northern climate, I'd buy the WRX.
Focus ST. Cant forget the ST
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Ah! Indeed, I like the ST.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

^ those being the choices, I'd have to take the GTI or the Focus ST especially since we don't know anything about the new Mazdaspeed 3.

The new GTI is going to be a beast tho with the front eLSD!
2012 VW Golf R
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

AHTOXA wrote:Between the Si, GTI, WRX or Speed3, I'd buy the speed3. Looks like the average Mazda3 to the average eye and goes like stink. Versatile as well.

The speed3 especially the new ones, are a love/hate car. Personally, I like them, and will look at one down the road. Many think they're hideous, though. The clutch however is horrendous but that's on the pre2010 models. I remember valeting one i'm pretty sure the clutch engaged twice at two different points lol.

I'd probably get the WRx just for the AWD. GTI's are really nice, too. I love the new styling of them and interior. And i'm pretty sure you can now have a VW dealership chip it for you if im not mistaken whereas in the past you couldn't and it would void your warranty.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I kind of like it because it didn't look quite so juvenile compared to the outgoing model (hood scoop notwithstanding).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!