How much MORE would you pay for manual transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Your max

$0
No votes
Up to $500
20%
Up to $1,000
10%
Up to $2,500
20%
Up to $5,000
20%
More than $5,000
30%

Total votes: 10

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: How much MORE would you pay for manual transmission

Post by ClutchFork »

Maybe the government will restrict manual transmissions in the name of the ecosystem. After all, they say the new automatics get better fuel mileage. They would still have to allow classic cars/restorations to exist, but perhaps they would put a ecosystem tax on manual transmissions. Maybe that is where part of the $5000 premium will come from, via the manufacturer. If they can pass a law making it illegal not to have health insurance, they I guess they can pass a law requiring you to drive a hybrid with a CVT, who knows.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Maybe the government will restrict manual transmissions in the name of the ecosystem. After all, they say the new automatics get better fuel mileage. They would still have to allow classic cars/restorations to exist, but perhaps they would put a ecosystem tax on manual transmissions. Maybe that is where part of the $5000 premium will come from, via the manufacturer. If they can pass a law making it illegal not to have health insurance, they I guess they can pass a law requiring you to drive a hybrid with a CVT, who knows.
Toyota would support that. Several other companies that haven't gone the CVT route and chosen 8-speed transmissions would probably fight that one. One of the only reasons the health care stuff was passed was because it was written by the insurance companies and so had the full support of the industry.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So for <$5k, go buy an Amish playcar, to have and to hold, from this day forward, till death do you part and then drive something else that meets your other needs for a daily driver.

Sure, everyone remembers the Jensen Interceptor, but you do know that Max had another car as his daily driver, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd pay up to $500 more for a manual. Otherwise, if I have a well-sorted non-CVT automatic I'd be okay. Limiting my choices is not my idea of a good thing. I don't know that I would want a non-manual 4 cylinder Accord because they've gone the sewing machine route.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!