I found an automatic that I really like....

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: I found an automatic that I really like....

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Not sure this little 4 banger would push an overdrive on the freeway.
Yup, that's what I was thinking, hence why I was talking about improvement elsewhere. Especially when relatively underpowered, closer ratios should be able to help once you've already got the most appropriate high and low gears.
Heavier would affect city most I would think but the less aerodynamic front end would affect highway.
Yup, and the 2007 lost one city MPG vs. the 1999. However, indirectly speaking, originally designed weight affects highway MPG because of design changes related to it...gearing, power, etc.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:Not sure this little 4 banger would push an overdrive on the freeway.
Yup, that's what I was thinking, hence why I was talking about improvement elsewhere. Especially when relatively underpowered, closer ratios should be able to help once you've already got the most appropriate high and low gears.
Yes but I still love the simplicity of it and I love the idea of being about the only person out there driving a 3-speed automatic anymore.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Post by dakta1420 »

tankinbeans wrote:Can't watch video, on phone right now, but the feature sounds nice.

I continue to scratch my head at "no third pedal, do not want!" posts. I just can't get that vehemently opposed. I value the skill I've gained in learning how to drive a manual vehicle, but wouldn't sneer at an automatic that behaved reasonably.

The transmission in Olie is dim, but he's old and most autos have probably progressed.

Carry on!
The slush box is a great example of the american culture, lazy and not involved. I personally despise that.
We own 2 autos I inherited my grandpas truck and my wifes civic. My car is a 5speed. I wish the truck had a stick as well. But I dont like autos much at all, however I do enjoy rebuilding them when they break. :) done a few now its kinda fun. I just wish people were more involved. I dont hate the auto mechanically I hate it because its taking over and ruining what could be some very fun vehicles if it had a stick.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't hate autos either, but I agree, dakta, that they encourage stupid behaviour. Bumper to bumper traffic is a prime example. If a person attempts to leave a space so they can coast, some asstard will fill in the gap. Everybody has to fill in every inch of the road even though nobody is going anywhere fast.

Speed up really fast, SLAM on brakes...rinse, repeat.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

dakta1420 wrote:My car is a 5speed. I wish the truck had a stick as well. But I dont like autos much at all, however I do enjoy rebuilding them when they break. :)
If you have mastered the black art of rebuilding slushboxen so well that you enjoy doing it, converting that truck to manual should be well within your abilities...

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

dakta1420 wrote:The slush box is a great example of the american culture, lazy and not involved. I personally despise that.
I love that quote! You just created my new signature, thanks!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote:
dakta1420 wrote:The slush box is a great example of the american culture, lazy and not involved. I personally despise that.
I love that quote! You just created my new signature, thanks!
LOL...why do I see a trend here? :roll:
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote: Maybe better but here are the mileage figures for city, combined, and highway to compare:

1999 Voyager 2.4L 3-speed auto: 18, 20, 24

2007 Caravan 2.4L 4-speed auto: 17, 20, 24

Not the best comparison as it is only one more gear ....
Yeah, apples & oranges for sure. Trust me, more gear ratios equal better fuel economy (and better acceleration too) in just about all cars. There are good reasons why we're seeing more and more gear ratios in all transmissions (except CVTs, for obvious reasons) and one of those reasons is the EPA. Jeep now has a 9-speed automatic in its new Cherokee. Several other manufacturers are currently working on 10-speed automatics. Where does it end? :lol:
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Shadow wrote:Where does it end? :lol:
CVT.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:
CVT.
Instead of going varoom, cars go VVVVVAAAAAA.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMBoring25 wrote:
CVT.
Yeah, I guess more and more gear ratios eventually become a CVT in a weird way. But seriously, I wonder if there is any practical limit to the amount of ratios in a conventional automatic transmission.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

CVTs don't tend to have the ratio span that conventional, multi-ratio'd slushboxes have.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:CVTs don't tend to have the ratio span that conventional, multi-ratio'd slushboxes have.
Time for a hybrid CVT/gear transmission with a low gear, CVT middle, and a high gear...or a 2 or 3 speed auxiliary unit like a transfer case / add-on overdrive (such as the Doug Nash unit on early 4th gen Corvettes).

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

theholycow wrote: Time for a hybrid CVT/gear transmission with a low gear, CVT middle, and a high gear...or a 2 or 3 speed auxiliary unit like a transfer case / add-on overdrive (such as the Doug Nash unit on early 4th gen Corvettes).
The Nissan Juke has a CVT that does an excellent impersonation of Tiptronic automatic. Not what you were asking for, but still a pretty good alternative for someone who wants a CVT, but likes Tiptronic shiftability (yes, I made up that word).
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

InlinePaul wrote: According to my calculations (done with pencil and paper, no calculator) she ought to be turning around 2680 at 70 mph. I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement for the little 4 banger. The ranger turns nearly that much in overdrive with it's manual transmission. I suppose one could try an overdrive and rpm of say 2400 at 70 but I suspect she would be downshifting for inclines.
I wonder what formula is used to calculate rpm at a given speed?