2014 Toyota Corolla

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

2014 Toyota Corolla

Post by Shadow »

Wow, just saw this for the first time. Toyota really stepped up with the new Corolla. Much more sporty looking than the older models. And you can still get it with a stick. Not too bad at all...

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: 2014 Toyota Corolla

Post by ClutchFork »

Nice. Has a stick shift, all else is secondary. Have to get rid of those horrid looking wheels though. Maybe you can option plain steel wheels. Not all that fond of the big black hole front end look but it seems to be the style of the 21st Century. Many are going that route. And I'll take the stripped down version, no touch screen, manual windows if they offer them.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

looks like a lexus dart from the front and sides; otherwise, looks impressive, especially the interior and that fine behind.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

If there is interest, I can get some pics of one posted on here. I think we have a handful we received in the past week or so.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Great, reliable and very sensible transportation appliance. I'm glad that it looks better than previous gen.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I test drove one for a bit. CVT is like any other automatic, I'd rather get a stick shift. Very nice interior, lots of room in the back, but I the seats I found a bit lacking much like my old 2008. I drove it in the city so didn't get to test its handling. It should remain a top 3 seller.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

yo yo yo, get a new corolla g dawg STAT!! gotta love the ghetto generation z marketing. time to put a bigger engine in that boat.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:yo yo yo, get a new corolla g dawg STAT!! gotta love the ghetto generation z marketing. time to put a bigger engine in that boat.
Remember the KIA Soul hamsters? Those worked. There are quite a few KIA Souls driving around town... even though they only have slightly more space than my Fiesta inside.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:
potownrob wrote:yo yo yo, get a new corolla g dawg STAT!! gotta love the ghetto generation z marketing. time to put a bigger engine in that boat.
Remember the KIA Soul hamsters? Those worked. There are quite a few KIA Souls driving around town... even though they only have slightly more space than my Fiesta inside.
yeah they look tiny in person. was at gas station earlier and an old lady was driving a bright red soul. sounded like it might've been manual too (no automatic gear selector movement noise when she left the pump) but she was driving too conservatively to really tell either way. :|
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

potownrob wrote:sounded like it might've been manual too (no automatic gear selector movement noise when she left the pump) but she was driving too conservatively to really tell either way. :|
I always drive so that everyone knows it's a manual! :mrgreen: Image Well, anyone who knows what a manual even is anyway.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

ClutchDisc wrote: I always drive so that everyone knows it's a manual! :mrgreen: Image Well, anyone who knows what a manual even is anyway.
I hope this doesn't mean the "Hey look at me" rollback while waiting for a green light.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

theholycow wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote: I always drive so that everyone knows it's a manual! :mrgreen: Image Well, anyone who knows what a manual even is anyway.
I hope this doesn't mean the "Hey look at me" rollback while waiting for a green light.
:lol: No, it means that I drive it hard.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I do sometimes roll back at a light, but more because I am testing if it is flat enough to sit there without the brakes.

A guy I work with who loves to drive stick said you are supposed to drive a stick so that people think you are driving an automatic. I disagree. You are supposed to drive a stick any way you want to! :D

Our of courtesy, one should not drive to jerkily (even if it is fun) if you have a passenger who does not appreciate it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

...and after posting that I found myself at a red light that I thought was flat...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:...and after posting that I found myself at a red light that I thought was flat...
Once did that and was so engaged in conversation (and it was at night) that I rolled back about 5 car lengths, by then someone was coming up behind and honked! :lol:

One other time I had just got the Ranger and I pulled into the parking space, jumped out and the Ranger began to roll. Neither in gear nor parking brake set. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77