Best brands for manual transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Best brands for manual transmission

Post by Squint »

I actually agree with Shadow that Toyota shouldn't be on the list. I put up a list of Toyotas with transmissions available a couple of months ago, but basically, the Corolla, the Tacoma, the Yaris, and the Scions (xB, xD, FR-S, tC) are the only vehicles available with a stick. Camry doesn't come with one, Avalon doesn't, even the Tundra doesn't.

It still exists there and I think the quality of their transmissions are fine, but I don't think they should be on a best brands list considering they seem to be phasing out the manual in favor of a CVT.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I'm glad the Tacoma still comes with a manual, because that's really the only real compact pickup any more. It's sad what happened to the compact pickup.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ClutchDisc wrote:I'm glad the Tacoma still comes with a manual, because that's really the only real compact pickup any more. It's sad what happened to the compact pickup.
It's not all versions of the Tacoma, if memory serves. If you have the time, sift through the posts on here (don't remember which subreddit) and you can find where I listed out the all the models that Toyota makes and which transmissions can come with _____ trim/model. Maybe a couple of months ago?

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:I'm glad the Tacoma still comes with a manual, because that's really the only real compact pickup any more. It's sad what happened to the compact pickup.
It's not all versions of the Tacoma, if memory serves. If you have the time, sift through the posts on here (don't remember which subreddit) and you can find where I listed out the all the models that Toyota makes and which transmissions can come with _____ trim/model. Maybe a couple of months ago?

Is this what you're referring to? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19270
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Yup, well found. That list is a split of 2013 and 2014 models. I know the Corolla was 2014, though I think the rest were 2013 models. There might have been another new model that snuck in there, not sure.

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

As long as the manual is available on the base model i'm happy. Of course there still is the Nissan Frontier/Suzuki Equator but that's more of a mid size than a compact. Or actually more like a full size or at least what a full size used to be. Before the full size grew in size in the early 2000's. :roll:
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

As far as who's likely to support manual in the near future, I would say its BMW/Mini. VW/Audi has began phasing out the manuals, most of their performance models will be exclusively DSG in the future.

Of course Honda, Subaru and Mazda will hopefully continue to offer manuals in their base models. Anyone heard about the upcoming WRX/STI being manual?

I'm sad to say that the days of having manuals in a performance car is coming to an end. Look what happened to the 911 GT3 and Turbo. I'm glad Corvette still comes with a manual, but I'm sure some journalist idiots will start complaining about how the car would be so much faster with a dual clutch. :(
2012 VW Golf R
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

daleadbull wrote:As far as who's likely to support manual in the near future, I would say its BMW/Mini. VW/Audi has began phasing out the manuals, most of their performance models will be exclusively DSG in the future.

Of course Honda, Subaru and Mazda will hopefully continue to offer manuals in their base models. Anyone heard about the upcoming WRX/STI being manual?

I'm sad to say that the days of having manuals in a performance car is coming to an end. Look what happened to the 911 GT3 and Turbo. I'm glad Corvette still comes with a manual, but I'm sure some journalist idiots will start complaining about how the car would be so much faster with a dual clutch. :(
I can see the Civic SI, WRX, and the Miata all being offered with a Stick for quite a while. The STI might eventually have a DCT, but hopefully as an option. Again all speculation on my part.

When it comes to speed machines like the Porsche or something I can see it being a DCT. But I can't afford one of those, and I don't know too many that can. If they all could, they definitely wouldn't daily drive them on their commute.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

daleadbull wrote:Anyone heard about the upcoming WRX/STI being manual?
I have not heard anything about that, but the WRX used to be available with automatic transmission before becoming stick-only - thereby reversing the usual trend. Hopefully, that bodes well for the future.
2013 Honda Civic Si
ophale
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ophale »

daleadbull wrote:As far as who's likely to support manual in the near future, I would say its BMW/Mini.
Aloha!

Lurking here for a while, first post.

As a Toyota Tacoma, BMW E91 328I, and MINI Clubman S owner, all manual transmission, I don't have high hopes for the future. Here in Hawaii it is virtually impossible to find a manual now. MINI will probably continue to make available a manual option as a percentage of the cars are special orders. I was told that the management of MINI of Hawaii only orders automatic cars for the lot. Since the cars are so highly customizable, I would assume their is a lot of customer special orders. That is how we purchased our MINI.

BMW is pushing their 8 speed automatics and here again the models on the lot are all automatic. I believe most manuals are special ordered. In addition, fewer models have an available manual transmission. 10 years ago you could get an X5 in a manual, five years ago an X3 in a manual, a year ago a touring sport wagon, now these models are automatic only. I suspect BMW North America will phase out manuals on all their offerings except a model or two (3 series, 4 series).

I expect the next model refresh of the Toyota Tacoma to not offer a manual... or just offer it on the base 2wd model like they do in certain region in the USA.

Mazda Miata's will continue to have a manual as that is a life style car (owned two, '99 and '92, great cars). Mazda being non mainstream brand will keep manuals as a marketing differential. Same with Subaru, they seem to be life style cars not targeting the general population.

Jeep wrangler is a customizable vehicle with a performance reason for a manual option and will also be available. I suspect a good majority will be customer special order like MINI and BMW.

Don't know much about VW/Audi. Seems like Audi is following BMW with fewer models available with the manual transmission option.

Honda/Acura is an interesting brand, and might hold out as their customer base may still desire a manual. Like BMW and Mazda, Honda is a stand alone company. Perhaps there might be a marketing need for Honda differentiate itself from Toyota and Nissan by continueing to produce manual transmission vehicles. However, it is probably small probability, as their bread and butter market is targeted at middle america. I've owned a '89 CRX HF and '95 Integra during what I believe was the high water mark for Honda. Both had manual transmissions and were great cars, but I'm not sure if Honda is the same brand it used to be...

Highly speculative and opinionated, but the way I see it:

1. Unless the market starts to reward manufactures for producing manual vehicles, the options are only going to get smaller in the future in the US with maybe a minority brand holding out to profit from the 2% of people who will select only a manual transmission automobile.
A. This will only change if young people learn to drive and love a manual transmission automobile.
B. Electric vehicles become dominate and the internal combustion vehicle becomes dominated by enthusiast.

2. Vehicles that are marketed to enthusiast or as life style automobiles will continue to offer the option of a manual transmission, especially those cars that have a lot of option where people tend to special order to their specific needs.

3. All other vehicles will be marketed and sold with the lowest common denominator in mind... The expense to certify an automobile due to regulations eats away at profits and will limit model engine and transmission choice.

Aloha!
'11 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof
'09 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman
'04 Toyota Tacoma | MT5 | 4wd
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome! Nice car choices. I've always wondered how cars in Hawaii work since like just about everything, they have to be imported. Does that mean your "fees" are much higher there to get the same vehicle?

Unrelated: can "aloha" mean hello and goodbye?

For Pony!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Squint wrote:Unrelated: can "aloha" mean hello and goodbye?
Yes, and Wikipedia says it can also mean affection, peace, compassion, and mercy (in addition to "love," as I was taught). Although I don't live there anymore, I was once a Kama'aina ... so E komo mai to our member from Hawaii!
2013 Honda Civic Si
ophale
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ophale »

Squint wrote:Welcome! Nice car choices. I've always wondered how cars in Hawaii work since like just about everything, they have to be imported. Does that mean your "fees" are much higher there to get the same vehicle?

Unrelated: can "aloha" mean hello and goodbye?
Yes, Aloha = Hello and Goodbye!

The car market is interesting on the Big Island. We only have a limited number of brands represented on the island. So if you want a Volkswagen, Audi, GMC, Mitsubishi, MINI, Mercedes Benz, Fiat, Infinity, Acura, Lexus, Lincoln, or Cadillac you will need to import it from Oahu or the mainland. It cost over $1000 to ship a car from California, $400 from Oahu. There is only one dealership of each of the brands we do have. So you just can't go to the other dealer across town or across state for a better price or specifications to purchase a car.

The flip side is everyone knows everyone on the island, so service can't be too bad... As the coconut wireless will put you out of business for poor service.

For me, if you see something that fits your specifications, you learn to pounce on it. As you can imagine, the dealerships don't have much inventory on their lots with only 180000 people on the island the size of Connecticut. What they do have is a grey sedan or suv with an automatic transmission, radio and air, all priced above sticker.

Can you imagine my surprise when a 2009 manual transmission 3 series touring with 8,400 miles shows up at the local BMW dealership as a trade in last year... I was looking for an BMW X3 with a manual transmission at the time. You pounce on it because the likelyhood of a car like this with a manual transmission showing up again is close to 0%. Why a BMW in Hawaii? They are the only luxury brand with a dealership on the island that sells new or used models with manual transmissions. That's because the only sales person for that dealership is Swiss German, he loves manual transmission cars (he sneaks a few in when he orders cars for the lot).

Anyway, I hope that gives you an idea of the car market here on the Big Island. On Oahu, it is different, as there are million people who live on that island. That all said, I live in Hawaii... Life is good!

Aloha
'11 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof
'09 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman
'04 Toyota Tacoma | MT5 | 4wd
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ophale wrote:Can you imagine my surprise when a 2009 manual transmission 3 series touring with 8,400 miles shows up at the local BMW dealership as a trade in last year... I was looking for an BMW X3 with a manual transmission at the time. You pounce on it because the likelyhood of a car like this with a manual transmission showing up again is close to 0%. Why a BMW in Hawaii? They are the only luxury brand with a dealership on the island that sells new or used models with manual transmissions. That's because the only sales person for that dealership is Swiss German, he loves manual transmission cars (he sneaks a few in when he orders cars for the lot).
Well done, Swiss-German guy. Well done.

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

ophale wrote:All other vehicles will be marketed and sold with the lowest common denominator in mind... The expense to certify an automobile due to regulations eats away at profits and will limit model engine and transmission choice.
Between government regulators and the desires of the masses we get boring amorphous blob vehicles that become more and more like electronic gizmos on wheels.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...