Toyotas and Scions where you can row your own boat!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Toyotas and Scions where you can row your own boat!

Post by Squint »

Snagged a sheet from the front desk that shows all of the models available 2013/2014 and has what transmissions they have (among other less useful information). Here's a list.

Yaris - 5MT - 3 and 5 door liftbacks - SE only.

Corolla - 6MT - Sedan and Sedan "Deluxe" only. (side note: apparently they redid the models - no longer L, LE, S for Corolla)

Matrix - 5MT - Base and S models only.

FJ Cruiser - 6MT - SR 4WD V6 only - not available on 2WD model.

Scion xB - 5MT

Scion xD - 5MT

Scion tC - 6MT

Scion FR-S - 6MT

They split Tacoma into two different lists because of all the options available - 2WD and 4WD.
Tacoma 2WD - 5MT - single cab, extra cab
Tacoma 2WD - 6MT - extra cab X-Runner V6

Tacoma 4WD - 5MT - single cab, extra cab
Tacoma 4WD - 6MT - extra cab V6, double cab V6

Vehicles that are NOT available with a manual:
Prius C, Prius, Prius Plug-In, Prius V, Camry (and Hybrid), Avalon, Venza, Rav4, Sienna, Scion iQ, Highlander (and Hybrid), Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, and 4Runner.

Also, Toyota still uses a 4 speed automatic on some of their cheaper cars. Jeez.. 4 speed.. :shock:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Toyotas and Scions where you can row your own boat!

Post by tankinbeans »

I've read a few of the bits about the Corolla. Does it really have 3 different transmissions (4AT, CVT, 6MT) that can be hooked to the same engine? If so, why?

I'll confess that I don't really pay much attention to it because I'm not looking to buy, and may have misread something.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I've read a few of the bits about the Corolla. Does it really have 3 different transmissions (4AT, CVT, 6MT) that can be hooked to the same engine? If so, why?

I'll confess that I don't really pay much attention to it because I'm not looking to buy, and may have misread something.
You are correct, and I have no idea why. It makes like 0 sense to me. I guess it does show that Toyota is apparently trying to trend towards the CVT more often, and certainly away from sticks.

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Ugh.

Perhaps they're just hedging their bets and making sure they have something for everybody. That 4 speed jobbie is well tested at this point. Hasn't it been around for 20 years or more?

I still can't quite get to the point where a CVT would be something I'd want to put up with.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I still can't quite get to the point where a CVT would be something I'd want to put up with.
The only CVT I'd ever put up with is the Prius for 50+ mpg. Other than that, just give me a shifter. I would prefer a shifter in something like a Prius too... but Toyota, like previously mentioned, apparently hates them. The Tundra doesn't come with one at all. Nada, zip, zilch, zero. No manuals in a big truck possible.

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:FJ Cruiser - 6MT - SR 4WD V6 only - not available on 2WD model.
Color me surprised!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Overall, it's not a bad selection in these perilous times for manual transmissions. With the exception of the FJ Cruiser, it seems like Toyota is offering its smaller cars and trucks with stick. Strangely, the Scion iQ - their smallest car and one that would seem to pair well with a manual - is auto only. I wonder why that is; perhaps volumes are too small to justify two transmission choices.
2013 Honda Civic Si
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Boston Fit wrote:Strangely, the Scion iQ - their smallest car and one that would seem to pair well with a manual - is auto only. I wonder why that is; perhaps volumes are too small to justify two transmission choices.
It's available with a manual in other markets. It probably is a combination of sales volume and EPA regulations as it usually is in such cases.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

IMBoring25 wrote:
Boston Fit wrote:Strangely, the Scion iQ - their smallest car and one that would seem to pair well with a manual - is auto only. I wonder why that is; perhaps volumes are too small to justify two transmission choices.
It's available with a manual in other markets. It probably is a combination of sales volume and EPA regulations as it usually is in such cases.
Not just auto only, CVT only. I remember a meeting ~a year ago when the iQ was coming out where they talked about having the CVT in there... though I don't remember if they just said it was a US thing or what.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: It's available with a manual in other markets. It probably is a combination of sales volume and EPA regulations as it usually is in such cases.
FMVSS Impact Testing needs to be repeated for the Amish in most transverse FWD powertrains.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/cr ... er-feature
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"