Dogleg shifters

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Dogleg shifters

Post by Squint »

^^ What? I thought you had been driving sticks since the invention of the wheel.

In order of creation:

Wheel -> RP -> 2 gear transmission.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

... and for most cars, sixth and seventh are also mere curiosities installed for bragging rights on the Autobahn or the EPA highway cycle.
Thats how I feel about it.

Early dog leg that is a lot of fun to drive and very convenient if you have a third front seat passenger:

Or does the reverse have to be set farther left than 1st to be called a dogleg?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Quote, originally posted by Wikipedia »

Dog leg layout gearboxes are usually found on performance automobiles because in road racing it is rare to shift into first gear other than for the initial start or exiting a pit lane.
Notable street cars to feature the dog leg layout are the BMW M535 and (Non-US) M3 E30, BMW 2002 Tii and Turbo, Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 and 2.5-16, Porsche 914, early 911, 924 Turbo (all featuring Getrag gearboxes) Porsche 928, Talbot Sunbeam Lotus, Vauxhall Firenza HPF and the Lamborghini Miura. A non-performance car to feature such a shift pattern is the Subaru 360. Also: Datsun 160J Hardtop SSS. A dog leg transmission has also been seen in odd places such as a 1980 Datsun 210 Wagon built during the 210/310 crossover or a Citroën 2CV.
Many Datsun/Nissan 200SX models utilized the dogleg shift pattern. The Transmission used in the American 200sx (not to be confused with European or Japanese 200sx, which are completely different) is a popular swap for the 1968-1973 Datsun 510 (which came with a borg warner 3 spd auto or a 4spd manual w/ no overdrive.) as it bolts in only needing a modified cross member mounting.
The mid 70's Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 260 V8 had an optional 5 speed transmission that utilized the dog leg shift pattern.
http://forums.subdriven.com/showthread.php?4510112
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Good illustration Rope. :D

Poor doggie. :(
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:^^ What? I thought you had been driving sticks since the invention of the wheel.

In order of creation:

Wheel -> RP -> 2 gear transmission.
Who told you that the first car I ever drove had a powerglide transmission?
It would go up to 60 mph in low gear. Prolly best that I never did find out how fast it would go in high.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"