Will your next car will be an automatic? Is it possible?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Will your next car will be an automatic? Is it possible?

Post by ClutchFork »

Stelcom66 wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:The aerostar 3.0 had a dimwitted tranny would do a lot of flip flopping or downshift more gears that I wanted it to. .
I had an '88 Aerostar with the 3.0 and 5 speed manual. That combination while rare provided acceptable acceleration and fuel economy if I recall correctly.

The other day I was next to a UPS truck. A lot of the time those are driven with the driver's door open in good weather - I could see it was an automatic. I then was next to a good sized dump truck, not one with a pickup truck cab, but a smaller version of an 18-wheeler. Don't know if it was a Mack or what - but I listened and heard it was an automatic! That was strange.

The weekend is here so I'm looking forward to driving a standard shift again.
Manual Aerostar would be nice. I worked for a city parks department many years ago. They had these big dump trucks that were automatic transmission, and they had one small dump, an F350 with a 4 speed manual that first was a creeper gear. I got to drive it a lot when I worked there. Funny thing was while the big dumps had auto trannies, they had manual chokes--go figure.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

This makes me wonder if there is a reason semis aren't automatic, if there are any I never hear them. Are automatics too fragile for that application, or would they just be too big?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:This makes me wonder if there is a reason semis aren't automatic, if there are any I never hear them. Are automatics too fragile for that application, or would they just be too big?

There are automatic big rigs. I watched a YouTube video of a big rig made by Volvo with a fully automatic transmission.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Check this out:

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Shadow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:This makes me wonder if there is a reason semis aren't automatic, if there are any I never hear them. Are automatics too fragile for that application, or would they just be too big?

There are automatic big rigs. I watched a YouTube video of a big rig made by Volvo with a fully automatic transmission.
There are indeed. They're not the most common thing at this point though, and they haven't quite got it.

The reason most big rigs are manual transmission is this: It used to be they couldn't design an affordable automatic that would handle a big rig's demands. Serious weight pulling, stupidly torque heavy engines, etc. Yada yada so on, etc.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Was talking with the wife yesterday, she mentioned that she wants an auto for the next car we purchase. Whenever that will be... I'll still try to convince her to get a manual anyway. It worked on the Fiesta :wink: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:Was talking with the wife yesterday, she mentioned that she wants an auto for the next car we purchase. Whenever that will be... I'll still try to convince her to get a manual anyway. It worked on the Fiesta :wink: :lol:
She can have the auto, you can have the party.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Pretty much. Even if she gets an auto, about the only time I would drive it is if we were riding together. µSquint needing a safe car that he fits in and all...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Shadow wrote:Check this out:

Interesting video - from a clutch and long stick shift to push buttons. I didn't know automatics were available in such large trucks.
I wonder how many speeds, probably many.

I remember the GM transit buses in the 60's and even the older rounder styled 50's models had Allison automatic transmissions. They were just 2 speeds. First (Low) would be held to quite a high rpm, then it sounded like the driver let up on the accelerator. The transmission would cut or reduce the engine rpm during the shift to High so it wouldn't be as abrupt. Back in the 80's there were some of those buses at a trolley museum in my area that I visited. I went inside a few. The transmission was just a 3 position lever from the floor, Neutral, Forward and Reverse.
2007 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 5MT
2002 Chevy Silverado LS 4x4 4AT