10 cars that still offer manual transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 10 cars that still offer manual transmission

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:There is something to be said for a true port-a-potty. On the other hand its nice to have a smaller, more maneuverable vehicle for local travel.
Cars equipped with manual transmissions are optimal for dinghy towing...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

InlinePaul wrote:
Squint wrote: and now they have paddles in the SE if you want the "sportier" feel.
Augh--Paddles!
Paddles are for rowboats! :lol:
"sportier" in marketing jargon only.
It's funny, because unless you have a sports car or a car with a DCT, the paddle shifters are BEYOND awful.

I've used them in multiple cars and I can shift faster than them and SMOOTHER. Unless I was doing something wrong, it jerked worse than my manual shifts and the downshifts took forever.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:It's funny, because unless you have a sports car or a car with a DCT, the paddle shifters are BEYOND awful.

I've used them in multiple cars and I can shift faster than them and SMOOTHER. Unless I was doing something wrong, it jerked worse than my manual shifts and the downshifts took forever.
Interesting. I've wondered about that. Paddles are only a change of interface; they imply that additional work may have been done but I figured on many cars they probably just slap them on and call it a day. Paddles no more enable manual shifting than their predecessor the non-standard PRNDS selector with +/- positions or its predecessor the PRND321...and being just as sequential I see them as barely any more convenient an interface than a column PRND321 or the occasional column PRNDS with +/- buttons*, just letting you keep both hands on the wheel.
*: Which you can probably almost operate with your hands still on the wheel anyway.

I bet with paddles (and +/- buttons, etc) they actually introduce an artificial delay because you wouldn't want to actually shift 3 times for a 6->2 block shift...it's a sequential interface to a random access system, that configuration always requires either a delay or an "OK"/"Go" button to tell it you're done making your selection.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I didn't know that the Tiguan was available with a stick. Sadly, it's only available on the base model. That figures....
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

theholycow wrote:it's a sequential interface to a random access system, that configuration always requires either a delay or an "OK"/"Go" button to tell it you're done making your selection.
Well put. The other issue with paddle shifters (and +/- selectors) is that a computer has the power to veto your inputs and take over as it sees fit. It dangles the illusion of control in front of you, then reclaims it and relegates you to student-driver status when it really matters. Unacceptable.

Shadow - The same is true with Mazda's CX-5 - stripper model with FWD only. Sad indeed.
2013 Honda Civic Si