2015 BMW M3, M4 to offer stick option

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

2015 BMW M3, M4 to offer stick option

Post by Boston Fit »

This article reports that BMW's 2015 M3 and M4 models will be available with manual transmission. Apparently, North American demand is keeping that transmission option alive in BMW's "M" lineup.

Excerpt:

"While manual transmission sales around the U.S. market hover somewhere shy of 10 percent, BMW has found great success selling manuals in its M Division high-performance cars. And that’s not going to change when the 2015 BMW M3 sedan and M4 coupe debut sometime this year and go on sale in 2014.

'The U.S. is BMW M’s highest concentration of manual transmission ownership,' says a source within BMW who asked to remain anonymous. The person confirmed that the next BMW M3 and M4, which we've only seen testing in camouflage so far, would receive a manual transmission option. It's a no-brainer to keep the transmission for the U.S., but we were not told whether the do-it-yourself transmission would continue on in the rest of the world."
2013 Honda Civic Si
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: 2015 BMW M3, M4 to offer stick option

Post by Shadow »

I thought that was pretty much common knowledge. Maybe because I'm following the development of the new 3/4 series. Still though, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The M5 isn't available with a stick unless it's in the North American market. I'm pretty sure the same is true for the M6. Audi went the same route with the S5. Seems to me that the the tables are turning when it comes to driving stick in America vs Europe.
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MFan »

I think the take rate for manual is only about 20% nowaday, even for the M division, when it used to be 100% since the M division never used to offer "automatics". I'm sure the manual will slowly disappear in M cars :(
2008 BMW MCoupe
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Shadow wrote:I thought that was pretty much common knowledge. Maybe because I'm following the development of the new 3/4 series. Still though, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The M5 isn't available with a stick unless it's in the North American market. I'm pretty sure the same is true for the M6. Audi went the same route with the S5. Seems to me that the the tables are turning when it comes to driving stick in America vs Europe.
I thought I read a couple months back BMW was not going to offer a manual with the next generation M3.

Good they are, though. Not like i'll be owning one, though. :(
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Shadow wrote:I thought that was pretty much common knowledge. Maybe because I'm following the development of the new 3/4 series. Still though, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The M5 isn't available with a stick unless it's in the North American market. I'm pretty sure the same is true for the M6. Audi went the same route with the S5. Seems to me that the the tables are turning when it comes to driving stick in America vs Europe.
Actually you can argue that Audi is going the opposite way. I know they offered the TTRS is stick only but its sales were pretty poor I think, then the RS5 came with S-tronic only. Now I'm hearing that the new A3/S3 will not offer manual at all. Audi is also bringing over the RS7 soon and I'd bet that it will come with a dual clutch only.

As much as I dislike BMW's image, it seems like they are the only German manufacturer who still offers manuals in their high performance models.

You also see what's happening at Porsche. It's not looking good for manuals.
2012 VW Golf R
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

daleadbull wrote: Actually you can argue that Audi is going the opposite way. I know they offered the TTRS is stick only but its sales were pretty poor I think, then the RS5 came with S-tronic only. Now I'm hearing that the new A3/S3 will not offer manual at all. Audi is also bringing over the RS7 soon and I'd bet that it will come with a dual clutch only.

As much as I dislike BMW's image, it seems like they are the only German manufacturer who still offers manuals in their high performance models.

You also see what's happening at Porsche. It's not looking good for manuals.
I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that Audi (or BMW for that matter) is offering more manuals....I'm saying that there seems to be a trend where they are starting to only offer manual transmissions in the North American market cars and not the European market cars. The S5 is a perfect example of that. You can't buy a new S5 with a manual transmission anywhere in Europe (including Germany), but you can get one in the U.S.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Shadow wrote:I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that Audi (or BMW for that matter) is offering more manuals....I'm saying that there seems to be a trend where they are starting to only offer manual transmissions in the North American market cars and not the European market cars. The S5 is a perfect example of that. You can't buy a new S5 with a manual transmission anywhere in Europe (including Germany), but you can get one in the U.S.
Yea, I gotcha but I guess I was talking about the overall picture. :)

That trend of offering the option for manuals in the US but not overseas might be disappearing too. I wasn't aware that you couldn't get an S5 with a manual overseas tho. Maybe the Europeans are getting tired of manuals while we are tired of automatics. lol we can hope right.
2012 VW Golf R
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MFan »

with more & more gadgets cramped into cars these days, no wonder no one wants to drive a manual. Most people can barely drive an automatic nowadays without being distracted by all those gadgets :(
2008 BMW MCoupe
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

MFan wrote:with more & more gadgets cramped into cars these days, no wonder no one wants to drive a manual. Most people can barely drive an automatic nowadays without being distracted by all those gadgets :(
Yes. that is a big part of the problem.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

no wonder no one wants to drive a manual.
Nobody wants to read a manual any more either!

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"