Silly question

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Which would you choose?

2014 Toyota Corolla with 6-speed manual transmission
58%
2014 Mercedes S550 sedan with automatic transmission
42%

Total votes: 12

Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Silly question

Post by Boston Fit »

If you could own only one car for the rest of your life (thus, taking resale value out of the picture), and if it had to be one of the two cars shown in the poll, which would it be?

Disregard purchase price for purposes of this question. Also, suspend your disbelief for a moment and assume that insurance, tax, maintenance costs, all other out-of-pocket expenses, and even inheritance value will be equal for each car.
Last edited by Boston Fit on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Honda Civic Si
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Silly question

Post by watkins »

I would walk.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

s-class, hands down, and i'd die a happy man
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

The manual one of course! :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Well, you didn't specify which S Class.

S63 AMG with the V12? :D
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

rml605 wrote:Well, you didn't specify which S Class.

S63 AMG with the V12? :D
Ooh, got you there, the V12 bi-turbo is the S65. Which is the only one I'll take over a manual-car.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Good point guys. I changed the option to S550. No AMG.

After all, we need to keep this reasonably close :-)
2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The Merc, hands down.

Guys, I'm as big of a manual fan as the next guy but on this forum and others I often see blind fanaticism when it comes to manuals. Let's face it - running costs and maintenance costs not taken into account, the Merc is a FAR superior vehicle in ALL regards compared to the Corolla. Automatic transmissions have their place, such as trucks and lux vehicles.

To disregard all of the benefits of a vehicle like the s550 (forget about styling here) and take a manual Corolla (likely to be far less than top level trim) is asinine.

I really don't understand the hate for autos on this forum sometimes. Yes, I prefer manuals to a large degree but not in every single type of vehicle. Plus the autos of this day and age are very, very good, especially in upclass vehicles. I just hope that this forum doesn't turn into manual trans snobbery that I see on other forums, especially TCL.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I agree about the unnecessary slushbox hatred (there's nothing wrong with them and if you don't enjoy manual then you are probably better off with auto), but it's hard to predict the reality of where other qualities outweigh my preference for the manual transmission. Rowing my own gears, feeling the synchronizers, rev-matching, and operating my own clutch is huge for me; being deprived of it is a real bummer. When I drive my truck I temporarily enjoy having tons of power and I occasionally I even enjoy the slushbox's immediate and lightning-fast downshifts (though, with my style, not often), but it quickly gets boring and it's a relief to get back to a 3-pedal vehicle.

Then, in the Corolla's favor, there's driving a slow car fast vs. driving a fast car slow. Even though I'm no speed demon I like to push it on the turns, and there's only so much I can get away with; as well there is other traffic that would get in the way. If we eliminate that from the equation by saying it's on a closed race track then the faster car should keep me busy enough, even with an automatic, that I would prefer it.

For me in a more realistic context, I'd have to sit in each one. If one is uncomfortable for me (which could be the most comfortable car ever for everybody else, or not, it's mainly a matter of armrest positions and such for me) then that trumps any of the other issues still at stake.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

My biggest problem with slushboxes is they make them too complicated. I really like the old-fashioned 3 speed automatic in my 1999 Plymouth Voyager minivan. It is coupled with a 4 banger, has enough get up and go to do the job, and gets 22 mpg!

Anyhow I voted above to take the manual tranny car. Easy decision as I don't like luxury cars anyway.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

AHTOXA wrote:The Merc, hands down.

Guys, I'm as big of a manual fan as the next guy but on this forum and others I often see blind fanaticism when it comes to manuals. Let's face it - running costs and maintenance costs not taken into account, the Merc is a FAR superior vehicle in ALL regards compared to the Corolla. Automatic transmissions have their place, such as trucks and lux vehicles.

To disregard all of the benefits of a vehicle like the s550 (forget about styling here) and take a manual Corolla (likely to be far less than top level trim) is asinine.

I really don't understand the hate for autos on this forum sometimes. Yes, I prefer manuals to a large degree but not in every single type of vehicle. Plus the autos of this day and age are very, very good, especially in upclass vehicles. I just hope that this forum doesn't turn into manual trans snobbery that I see on other forums, especially TCL.
First of all, it is not stupid or foolish to take the Corolla over the Mercedes. It would be foolish to take the car that you would hate driving for the rest of your life. Remember the point of this thread was "what if........for the rest of your life".

I dislike autos, but It's not a hate. More so the fact that I love manuals. The Corolla would also be much more stripped down, not a luxury car like the Mercedes. I don't like luxury in my car, another reason I would rather have the Corolla.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

When it comes to this hypothetical scenario, I fail to understand the motives behind not getting a more luxurious, more comfortable and more superior vehicle. In the real world there are LOTs of reason - outright cost, maintenance, insurance, etc. But if all of the above are discounted and you get a choice between two vehicles where one is a far more comfortable, luxurious and superior vehicle, I really don't see the logic behind taking a lesser vehicle.

I simply refuse to believe that anyone would rather spend their life driving a Corolla vs a S550. In fact, because in this hypothetical scenario I would have this vehicle for the rest of the driving life, I would especially not want to be in an econo box.

Moreover, if this poll choice had the Merc with a manual, it would be no contest, which proves my point - this is about the auto trans dislike/hate.

Can you tell me why you would hate driving this car? Serious question - I'm not bating.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:Moreover, if this poll choice had the Merc with a manual, it would be no contest, which proves my point - this is about the auto trans dislike/hate.
Can I get the Mercerdes with manual transmission and manual crank windows? If not, I'll still take the Corolla, which hopefully has manual crank windows.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

AHTOXA wrote:Moreover, if this poll choice had the Merc with a manual, it would be no contest, which proves my point - this is about the auto trans dislike/hate.

Can you tell me why you would hate driving this car? Serious question - I'm not bating.
Sorry, but even if it had a Mercedes with a manual I'll still take the Corolla - I wouldn't want to be stuck in a luxury car the rest of my life. So that's my answer to why I would hate driving the Mercedes. Give me a Mercedes with manual door locks, manual mirrors, crank windows, no touchscreen, manual transmission, etc. and I'll take it over the Corolla. I know the Corolla doesn't have all of those features, but It will be a lot closer to what I want than the Mercedes. I actually would prefer the base model Nissan Versa over the Corolla.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:Can you tell me why you would hate driving this car? Serious question - I'm not bating.
I wouldn't hate it but I'd be bored. In the manual Corolla I'd be less bored.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD