Volvo Will Reach Three Million Miles in 2013

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Volvo Will Reach Three Million Miles in 2013

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Oh. I understand what you're saying, Shadow. I didn't think you were belittling anything. It's logical that they wouldn't try to torpedo their own company. I always thought it would be strange, but what do I know? There are decisions businesses make that generally throw me for a loop.
For sure there were some (and I should probably also say "are some") bad business decisions made by auto companies. If you don't already know the story of Ford and the decision they made about recalling the Pinto, look it up when you have a chance. It's by far one of the biggest blunders of any car company.
I had to do an ethics paper about the exploding gas tanks.

Wasn't the quote, "styling sells, safety doesn't."?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote: I had to do an ethics paper about the exploding gas tanks.

Wasn't the quote, "styling sells, safety doesn't."?
I have a hard time putting the words "styling" and "Pinto" into the same sentence :lol:

The main point is that Ford made the decision to put money over life when it came to the Pinto. They determined that it would cost less to pay for lawsuits to the families of victims than it would to recall all those cars.

http://web1.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My aunt had one, and always wanted somebody to steal it. She says she'd borrow my mom's Fury just to avoid driving that little kvetch.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!