How often do you make mistakes?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Re: How often do you make mistakes?

Post by Jastreb »

I never make mistakes. I am perfection incarnate.

No actually, I probably make some small mistake every time I drive the car. The only one who notices is me. Maybe once every month and a half, I'll forget/get confused while stopped and not put it in neutral before releasing the clutch. That's embarrasing :oops:
tankinbeans wrote: You've just jinxed yourself.
Tsss--- he drives an slushie.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Jastreb wrote:Tsss...he drives a slushie
Forgot about that.

I can only say, "but it's a VW!"
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The other day I was going anywhere and tried starting in 3rd, after checking and thinking it was in 1st. Didn't quite work some more. Slight distraction was distracting. Stupid construction zone.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:The other day I was going anywhere and tried starting in 3rd, after checking and thinking it was in 1st. Didn't quite work some more. Slight distraction was distracting. Stupid construction zone.
So all of the construction workers stopped, pointed, and laughed at you, right? :wink: :wink:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:The other day I was going anywhere and tried starting in 3rd, after checking and thinking it was in 1st. Didn't quite work some more. Slight distraction was distracting. Stupid construction zone.
So all of the construction workers stopped, pointed, and laughed at you, right? :wink: :wink:
Luckily, no. I just had to wait longer to pull out, my moment was gone.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
emilyk
Junior Standardshifter

Post by emilyk »

I rarely make mistakes associated with the manual transmission - but I learned on a manual and have now been driving one for 20 years. The one that I do sometimes is squeal the tires a bit when starting on a steep hill. I never stall or roll backwards, it just seems I like to give it a little too much gas and maybe pop the clutch a little to fast. I can't even blame it on the car since I do it in both my Sube and my husband's Honda!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I just had to wait longer to pull out, my moment was gone.
*snickers* :wink: :roll:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

emilyk wrote:I rarely make mistakes associated with the manual transmission - but I learned on a manual and have now been driving one for 20 years. The one that I do sometimes is squeal the tires a bit when starting on a steep hill. I never stall or roll backwards, it just seems I like to give it a little too much gas and maybe pop the clutch a little to fast. I can't even blame it on the car since I do it in both my Sube and my husband's Honda!
My problem is always not giving enough gas. I got into a bad habit of giving next to no gas while launching, now I've been trying to actively tell myself to give it some gas. Habits are hard to break. :(

Once I perfect my launch, I can finally consider myself a good stick driver. I can rev match downshift like a boss tho! lol
2012 VW Golf R
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

My only issue right now is downshifting for quick accelaration as in passing. Im too slow with it and my biggest thing with my rev matching is, I always forget to get back o nthe gas after blipping. As in, you're suppose to:

-Clutch in and shift to lower gear
-Blip
-While releasing clutch get back on the gas

Correct?

Well I have this habit where I don't get back on gas until im fully off the clutch.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

rml605 wrote:My only issue right now is downshifting for quick accelaration as in passing. Im too slow with it and my biggest thing with my rev matching is, I always forget to get back o nthe gas after blipping. As in, you're suppose to:

-Clutch in and shift to lower gear
-Blip
-While releasing clutch get back on the gas

Correct?

Well I have this habit where I don't get back on gas until im fully off the clutch.
I don't do the rev matching, but downshifting into first I routinely blip the throttle to ease the syncronizer engagement, but not worry about matching for engaging the clutch.

As for downshifting to pass, anticipate it and get into the lower gear before you pull out to pass, even if you have to run higher RPMs for a little bit. That way you can be focused on the lane change and just floor it when you move over. I do it that way all the time.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I don't do the rev matching, but downshifting into first I routinely blip the throttle to ease the syncronizer engagement, but not worry about matching for engaging the clutch.
I assume you're double-clutching, otherwise you're not helping the synchro at all.
As for downshifting to pass, anticipate it and get into the lower gear before you pull out to pass, even if you have to run higher RPMs for a little bit. That way you can be focused on the lane change and just floor it when you move over. I do it that way all the time.
If we're talking about planning ahead and using actual strategy for a pass like that, I like to back way off (even further than my normal long following distance), then charge at the rear of the car in front as my opportunity approaches, timed so I just slingshot around during my window. This eliminates any worry about not having enough power (not an issue in some vehicles, but relevant in your I4 Ranger and my car), eliminates any issue of a personally offended driver trying to block your pass (and avoids offending them in the first place), is easily aborted right up to the last second if you have any doubts (unless your brakes suck, I guess), and requires a smaller window for a successful pass no matter how much power you have.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Good idea on the extra measures for a quick lane switch, if nobody jumps in front of you. In the Ranger I can move out pretty quick if on a roll in first gear at 3000 rpm.
theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:I don't do the rev matching, but downshifting into first I routinely blip the throttle to ease the syncronizer engagement, but not worry about matching for engaging the clutch.
I assume you're double-clutching, otherwise you're not helping the synchro at all.
I never understood double clutching. What I am talking about here is that I depress the clutch, pull it out of second, and then before pushing it into first I blip the throttle which seems to make it easier to engage first, as you don't get that whine sound of what I presume to be the syncronizer spinning up to match the road speed that is turning the tranny output shaft. So does that make sense?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I never understood double clutching. What I am talking about here is that I depress the clutch, pull it out of second, and then before pushing it into first I blip the throttle which seems to make it easier to engage first, as you don't get that whine sound of what I presume to be the syncronizer spinning up to match the road speed that is turning the tranny output shaft. So does that make sense?
What you're doing is single-clutching. That only benefits the clutch, not the synchronizer. You need to engage the clutch (remove your foot from the pedal) and do your blip in neutral or else you're not spinning up the input shaft, just the flywheel.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:What you're doing is single-clutching. That only benefits the clutch, not the synchronizer. You need to engage the clutch (remove your foot from the pedal) and do your blip in neutral or else you're not spinning up the input shaft, just the flywheel.
:lol: You are absolutely right. I never thought it through. Image Maybe I didn't hear the syncronizer whine because of the engine revving. :lol:

I'll have to give that double clutching a try next time.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Maybe I didn't hear the syncronizer whine because of the engine revving. :lol:
Could be that it's different with the extra time you take and maybe you're using a different amount of pressure on the shifter.