How often do you make mistakes?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

How often do you make mistakes?

Post by rml605 »

We are still humans not robots so must make a mistake here and there, but how often and what is it usually? Bad launch, gear change, rev match?

I've been driving now exactly 1 year stick, but occassionally give too much gas in a launch or not enough or have a bad rev match. It's usually not giving enough gas bliping DS into 2nd. I actually stalled, too yesterday at a Dunkin Donuts Drive Thru lol.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Re: How often do you make mistakes?

Post by RomPirate »

I make mistakes every day. I suppose it makes driving interesting :)
Grinds - MAYBE monthly
Stalls - Its been months *knock on wood*
Crappy downshifts - daily
Crappy upshifts - daily
Over gas - dailly.

But when I nail a perfect HT downshift....

97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Not just everyday, but multiple times a day. Overshoot revs. Undershoot. Bad shifts, jolts, lugs. All the time. It comes with driving stick, and it's what makes it fun and not boring. Haven't stalled in a really long time, though.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Once in a while I'll either give it too much or too little gas when taking off. That's really where I make the most mistakes, but I'm getting much better with it. Or sometimes I'll let the clutch out a little to fast coming out of second and it will buck sightly.

When I was first learning, I would sometimes get second when I wanted fourth, or try to take off in third. (not easy) :)

I don't really stall any more and if I do it's usually when I parked, forgot I was still in first and pulled my foot of of the clutch. :roll: :lol:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Every durn day. Usually they're of the slight lurch, not enough gas on the launch, sort. They'd be nothing that I'd worry too much about.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I make many mistakes, just not too frequently.

1. Slow to stop in second and forget to shift to first so take off in second.
2. Sometimes for get where I am in the shift gate (mind blanks out) and get totally confused trying to figure out what gear to go into.
3. let clutch out smoothly but then abrupt the last little bit, resulting in a jerk
4. not timing shift quite right so engine pulls back before disengaging clutch
5. forget to put in neutral and pull foot off clutch as if was parked in neutral and so kill engine
6. forget to downshift coming off freeway and then try accelerating in overdrive at 30 mph (worse in Ranger than was in F150 4.9L, fortunately I don't do this much if at all in Ranger, so maybe the smaller engine is giving me better feedback on this particular error).
7. Sure there are others and as I think of them I can fill in the blanks:
a. Stall at launch.
b. Occasional syncro grind because didn't disengage clutch in time
c. forget to pull it out of gear and come to a stop stalling the engine
:oops:
Last edited by ClutchFork on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Very rarely....almost never actually. Then again, I strive for perfection. :lol:

But I guess it all depends upon how one defines a "mistake"
Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Krimsalt »

I make the occasional too much gas/clutch. Thankfully I haven't stalled in a while!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

A question...or maybe an observation:

Does experience have anything to do with the amount of "mistakes" made while driving a stick? In other words, do the newer people make proportionately more mistakes then the more experienced people?

Also, I think the vehicle itself has at least a little bit to do with it. As most of us know, some vehicles are inherently more easy to drive than others. I'd say the clutch action/take-up/friction point etc...is what gives most people the most trouble.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Shadow wrote:A question...or maybe an observation:

Does experience have anything to do with the amount of "mistakes" made while driving a stick? In other words, do the newer people make proportionately more mistakes then the more experienced people?
I would say yes. When I was first learning I made a lot more mistakes than I do now. Now it's really just that I'm not always perfect with my launch. But it is getting much better.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I was a perfectionist and borderline obsessive with ensuring I was as perfect as I could be, perhaps in the first couple of years of driving manual on daily basis. Then, it simply faded. I don't think I make many mistakes however I just don't think about it much. The less I think about it, the more subconscious takes over and the motions become...erm...automatic, which eliminates many mistakes.

That said, today was the first time ever I stalled the Sonic and I've had it for a year and 19k miles. I was pulling out of my parking spot and had a/c on. Went into second too early w/o letting the clutch slip a bit as I was busy arranging water bottles on the way to the trail. It was one of those ghost stalls - I had no idea I stalled until I went to get on the throttle and nothing happened. Looked down to see christmas lights on the dash.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

ClutchDisc wrote:

I would say yes. When I was first learning I made a lot more mistakes than I do now. Now it's really just that I'm not always perfect with my launch. But it is getting much better.
As I recall, he also found the S10 easier to work with than my Ranger.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

shadow wrote:words words experience words words mistakes words words car
I'd say experience has a lot to do with it. I make fewer mistakes now than 2 years ago because I've stopped thinking so much. I have more confidence in my adultery to drive the car and am not as nervous about stalling and making mistakes.

As for the car, I think that Clifford is definitely easier to work with than my Forte was. The clutch is more predictable, and I don't have a throttle delay (that I can tell) or a clutch delay valve mucking things up. It's all around more pleasant
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Also, I think the vehicle itself has at least a little bit to do with it. As most of us know, some vehicles are inherently more easy to drive than others. I'd say the clutch action/take-up/friction point etc...is what gives most people the most trouble.
Not to take away from your skills or anything, i'm sure you're a great driver, but i've driven Audis such as the A4, S4, and S5 and they are so incredibly smooth and easy. Getting into 1st is buttery smooth.

I still believe my car is incredibly hard to drive smooth. It doesn't help that I have no wiggle room as my clutch catches literally right away. I can pretty much get on the gas right away and dump the clutch if I want too, but I need to be incredibly quick. It definitely depends on the car. As a valet driver, I usually only get a car into 1st so I can't say i've "driven" multiple cars really, but I did take a 911 Turbo and the place I was at I had to turn onto a public road. Im pretty sure I drove it smoother than I even did my car.