8-speed manual

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 8-speed manual

Post by theholycow »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:Someone watched that show?? Nothing else on at the time, moofasa?
There were trucks and transmissions and stuff and my wife would watch it. I would have preferred no TV or at least something better, but those options weren't available.
...is my wife on here reading these posts? She decided to watch some IRT: Deadliest Roads tonight.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote: Who said I don't realize the amount of technology in older vehicles?
Who said I was talking about you? I was generalizing....
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote: I just find it a hassle to use switches to run my window down and up.
Sorry, but that sentence doesn't make much sense. The only way to open and/or close a window that's less of a hassle than to hit a button would be if you could somehow do it with telepathy.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Boston Fit wrote: Having owned both 5-speed and 6-speed gearboxes, I find that I don't have a strong preference either way (only a slight preference for 6 speeds).
I'd have no problem driving a 5-speed manual forever. My 6-speed is just fine, but a well-designed 5-speed with good ratios is just fine too. Probably the best gearbox I've ever had was the 5-speed in my E36 M3. It was perfectly matched to the engine and the ratios were just perfect in every gear, including 5th.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote: I just find it a hassle to use switches to run my window down and up.
Sorry, but that sentence doesn't make much sense. The only way to open and/or close a window that's less of a hassle than to hit a button would be if you could somehow do it with telepathy.
In fact, most cars these days that have electric windows have an auto up and down feature. Mine does. There's nothing more simple than hitting the button once to the "second stop" and have the window go down or up. You don't even have to hold it.

Sorry if this is turning into a Paul and clutchdisk gangbang here. I apologize, that was not the intention.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Shadow wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote: Who said I don't realize the amount of technology in older vehicles?
It looked like it was in reference to me....because you replied to a reply that was directed at me.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

AHTOXA wrote:
Shadow wrote:
In fact, most cars these days that have electric windows have an auto up and down feature. Mine does. There's nothing more simple than hitting the button once to the "second stop" and have the window go down or up. You don't even have to hold it.

Sorry if this is turning into a Paul and clutchdisk gangbang here. I apologize, that was not the intention.
It's the simplicity of the mechanics that I like, not the simplicity of the action.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote:
Shadow wrote:
It looked like it was in reference to me....because you replied to a reply that was directed at me.
Well, you and your old man definitely fit the description, but it wasn't directed at either of you. I know a few people who have the same mindset and I'm quite sure there are lots more people who feel the same way. I just think there's some irony there when one considers that even an relatively "old" car still has lots of technology in it. Maybe not the latest tech, but still tech nonetheless....
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:
Shadow wrote:

Oh no, not the auto up auto down feature. The 2005 Mountaineer had that and if I tried to open the window just a crack, the stupid thing went all the way down. I did not like it. I still turn a crank at home to open my windows too. Or am I still in the dark ages there too? Do people have electric windows in houses these days?
Shadow wrote:...and your old man ...
See what happens when I try to use technology:
:lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Usually the auto-up/auto-down is implemented with some kind of two-stage switch, either a detent or a minimum time it has to be pressed to activate the auto function.

There are times auto-up/auto-down is nice, particularly when you're dealing with some kind of guard shack or ticket booth, as it frees up both hands for steering and shifting while the window is still in transit so you don't have to wait or choose between steering and shifting. :)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Oh no, not the auto up auto down feature. The 2005 Mountaineer had that and if I tried to open the window just a crack, the stupid thing went all the way down.
The problem wasn't the concept. It was the implementation. I've used plenty of express-down windows that would never do that, very easy to open just a crack.
I did not like it. I still turn a crank at home to open my windows too. Or am I still in the dark ages there too? Do people have electric windows in houses these days?
There are actually products that will open crank-operated roof windows so you don't have to use the long pole with the little crank lever on the end of it...and I bet they could easily be mounted to regular crank casement windows too.

I would appreciate power windows in the house even more than I'd appreciate them in the car. There are far more windows in the house and some of them can be hard to reach behind furniture. If I could open and close them all at once that'd be great. It would have been perfect yesterday, here we are in November and we got 66F weather for what may be the last time for the next 6 months.so I wanted that last dose of fresh air in the house. Even more useful would be to operate them over the internet/phone/etc, so I could leave them open when I leave for work in the morning, and if a big rainstorm started I could close them.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

InlinePaul and clutchdisc gangbang...
o.0
That could get awkward. They're both dudes, and they're related. No thanks.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

You took that literally. :lol:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:You took that literally. :lol:
I guess we're both perverts, what with your dipstick and toilet paper. 8)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Post by ashowofhands »

Why is this news? It's on a truck - trucks have been using 10+ speed transmissions for decades. Aside from the incredibly inefficient shifter, it's nothing out of the ordinary.