Turbo Hybrid....or Hybrid Turbo

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Turbo Hybrid....or Hybrid Turbo

Post by Shadow »

Whichever way you say it, I'm still surprised to see it. Yup, an honest-to-goodness hybrid vehicle that also happens to have a turbocharger. Maybe this is a sign of things to come. Now we just need a turbo hybrid with a 6-speed manual transmission. CR-Z Turbo, anyone?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen- ... eview.html
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Turbo Hybrid....or Hybrid Turbo

Post by bk7794 »

I've never been a huge fan of the hybrid concept. The original Insight was interesting and so was the Prius, but now they are becoming a dime-a-dozen. I like the Turbo diesel idea better, seems more realistic, however the hybrid does kick the TDI out of the park in stop and go. So I guess there will never be a perfect world.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

bk7794 wrote:I've never been a huge fan of the hybrid concept. The original Insight was interesting and so was the Prius, but now they are becoming a dime-a-dozen. I like the Turbo diesel idea better, seems more realistic, however the hybrid does kick the TDI out of the park in stop and go. So I guess there will never be a perfect world.
Hybrid turbo diesel? Would that be too complicated with more possible points of failure than people would be willing to deal with?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

DSG only... at least it has a multi link rear suspension.

If I think hybrid, it'd be the Prius. We're considering getting a Prius C in a few months for my wife who's now doing a paper route, the frequent stop/idle/start is killing my Mazda 3's fuel economy. We need a second car anyway. CR-Z 6 speed manual would be fun but no way my wife would approve of a 2 seater.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

DKaz wrote:If I think hybrid, it'd be the Prius. We're considering getting a Prius C in a few months for my wife who's now doing a paper route, the frequent stop/idle/start is killing my Mazda 3's fuel economy. We need a second car anyway. CR-Z 6 speed manual would be fun but no way my wife would approve of a 2 seater.
If the primary usage for the vehicle is the paper route, the paper route is less than about 70 miles in moderate weather, and you can get over the way it looks, the Leaf is reported to be down to about $18K after the tax credit.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Yeah, the Leaf is definitely a good value when it comes to a true electric car. I don't think the price can be beaten for the overall package.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

$32k in Canada for the Leaf after any tax credit, plus we live in a condo so would be stuck charging at 110V. The iMiev is $26k. She'll be using the car a bit driving for meeting friends and running errands, but tracking her car usage the past few months, she drives maybe 120 miles a month for personal purposes and 660 miles for the paper route. We live a block from a metro train station and we do use it once or twice a week.

And I should clarify "killing my fuel economy", she gets 25mpg when she does her route which is a couple mpg less than EPA rated city mileage for my car. :lol: Really what it is is 35mpg driving 17 miles to/from her route and 13mpg doing the 5 mile paper route itself.

So I'm thinking it'll either be a Prius C or a cheap gasoline subcompact. There were some $16k subcompacts but the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage is coming late this summer starting at $13k, 1.2L engine and 5 speed manual with a host of standard equipment: auto climate control, power windows, keyless entry... 37mpg city and 44mpg hwy although with the CVT, maybe a bit less with the 5 speed manual. Sure it won't do 50mpg no matter what but the Prius C's payback will be about 12-14 years... plus my wife prefers driving manual. The Mirage looks very small is the downside and may depreciate at a quicker rate.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage