Do you ever worry about resale value?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Do you ever worry about resale value?

Post by Boston Fit »

daleadbull wrote:I could see resale being a concern if your particular car comes with both automatic and manual. In that case, a particular customer interested in your car might be looking for a auto which could hurt you.

On cars that only come with a manual, it doesn't hurt resale at all. For example, my car only comes in a manual so if a person is looking to buy a Golf R then by extension he already knows that he's getting a stick.

In either case, its not a big deal. You can always trade it in when you buy a new car.
Declining demand for manuals would implicate the resale value of all manual transmission cars, including manual-only models like Golf R, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, etc. (both private sale and trade-in).
2013 Honda Civic Si
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Boston Fit wrote:Declining demand for manuals would implicate the resale value of all manual transmission cars, including manual-only models like Golf R, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, etc. (both private sale and trade-in).
I don't think enthusiast models have anything to worry about, they have a big enough consumer base who love and want manual cars.
2012 VW Golf R
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

daleadbull wrote:I don't think enthusiast models have anything to worry about, they have a big enough consumer base who love and want manual cars.
I hope so. If that fails, we could always start a car swap right here on Standard Shift ...
2013 Honda Civic Si
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Boston Fit wrote: Declining demand for manuals would implicate the resale value of all manual transmission cars, including manual-only models like Golf R, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, etc. (both private sale and trade-in).

But.....declining supply of manual transmission cars would positively affect the resale value of all manual transmission cars if the demand stays constant. So if companies continue to cut manual transmissions, I think we'll all be in good shape when we decide it's time to sell.
Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Krimsalt »

Shadow wrote:
Boston Fit wrote: Declining demand for manuals would implicate the resale value of all manual transmission cars, including manual-only models like Golf R, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, etc. (both private sale and trade-in).

But.....declining supply of manual transmission cars would positively affect the resale value of all manual transmission cars if the demand stays constant. So if companies continue to cut manual transmissions, I think we'll all be in good shape when we decide it's time to sell.
depends the weigh in of demand/supply. If the demand is lowering and the supply is lowering, the value wont change much. For the most part, cars that have an automatic option will lose some value most likely in the resale, whereas cars that are only manual (STi, Golf R, Civic Si, S2000) will probably hold a higher resale value for unchanging number of enthusiasts who want manual, and less people now willing to drive manual
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Krimsalt wrote:
Shadow wrote:

depends the weigh in of demand/supply. If the demand is lowering and the supply is lowering, the value wont change much.
Yeah, that's why I specifically stated "if demand stays constant" and the supply declines. I'm not really stating anything groundbreaking here...it should be fairly obvious if you understand the laws of supply & demand.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Krimsalt wrote:For the most part, cars that have an automatic option will lose some value most likely in the resale, whereas cars that are only manual (STi, Golf R, Civic Si, S2000) will probably hold a higher resale value for unchanging number of enthusiasts who want manual, and less people now willing to drive manual
The failure in the logic there is that buyers who will accept nothing but a manual transmission vehicle will still have all manual transmission cars available as an option to them. The fact that there are cars like the S2000 that are manual transmission only doesn't have any effect on the overall market. Think about it...someone wants to buy a manual transmission car. Great....now he/she can search for any car with a manual. Just because every S2000 in the country has a manual transmission means that the buyer can choose from any of them. If he wants, say, a Mustang, then he'll have to sort through the automatics to find the manual he desires. That doesn't mean that the Mustang will lose value, it simply means that the buyer will have to pass on the automatics and only consider the manuals.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I don't have to worry about resale value since I don't pay a lot for them (used cars) in the first place, and I tend to run them into the ground.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

InlinePaul wrote:I don't have to worry about resale value since I don't pay a lot for them (used cars) in the first place, and I tend to run them into the ground.
Smart, so a decline in m/t values tends to work in your favor.
2013 Honda Civic Si