Post your speed in top gear at 3000 RPM

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Post your speed in top gear at 3000 RPM

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I'm entirely too impatient to work that hard at achieving excellent mileage.
Ha ha, the S10 dropped 2 mpg when I got ahold of it with my lead foot! :lol:

But ClutchDisk is driving about 30,000 miles per year!
shoulda got a prius :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Bite. Your. Nose.

That's gross and inappropriate behaviour.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Ain’t nuttin wrong with a Prius. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Theres nothing right with a Prius.

And what the hell is fuel economy? I get maybe 21mpg, regardless of the car.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:Theres nothing right with a Prius.

And what the hell is fuel economy? I get maybe 21mpg, regardless of the car.
Epic Fail!! :shock:

Have fun this summer!! :mrgreen:
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

If it's predominantly highway mileage, which at that number it probably is, a Prius would actually not be a great choice. Hybrid systems shine in town, but on the highway they're generally just dead weight.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:If it's predominantly highway mileage, which at that number it probably is, a Prius would actually not be a great choice. Hybrid systems shine in town, but on the highway they're generally just dead weight.
that's a myth. only a diesel can get better gas mileage on the highway, if that.

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Absolutely not a myth. There's more to the analysis than, "How much MPG can I accomplish?"

The more-complex drivetrain and batteries have costs in up-front manufacturing costs and environmental impacts and at least the potential for higher ongoing maintenance requirements. You have to get enough better mileage to overcome those factors for it to make sense. That's a lot easier if your driving cycle is in stop-and-go where a traditional gas car doesn't do so well.

The math is somewhat obscured because we use a metric based on how far we can go per unit volume of fuel instead of the other way around. It exaggerates heady numbers at the top of the scale that really don't save that much fuel. If you replace a small gas car that gets 30 in town with a hybrid that gets 55, you save 15 gallons of fuel for every thousand miles you drive. On the highway, replace the same ICE car getting 40 with the hybrid getting 55 and you save 5.6.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:Absolutely not a myth. There's more to the analysis than, "How much MPG can I accomplish?"

The more-complex drivetrain and batteries have costs in up-front manufacturing costs and environmental impacts and at least the potential for higher ongoing maintenance requirements. You have to get enough better mileage to overcome those factors for it to make sense. That's a lot easier if your driving cycle is in stop-and-go where a traditional gas car doesn't do so well.

The math is somewhat obscured because we use a metric based on how far we can go per unit volume of fuel instead of the other way around. It exaggerates heady numbers at the top of the scale that really don't save that much fuel. If you replace a small gas car that gets 30 in town with a hybrid that gets 55, you save 15 gallons of fuel for every thousand miles you drive. On the highway, replace the same ICE car getting 40 with the hybrid getting 55 and you save 5.6.
i'm not talking about environmental impact here; just pure MPGs. the battery replacement issue, from what i've read, is usually a non-issue unless you keep the car for a very long time, and some of these hybrids (the prius at least) are just as reliable as a regular ICE car if not more so. maintenance requirements are said to be less for the prius than for most other cars. you don't have to change the oil as often as on a typical ICE vehicle. what's interesting is you can easily find good deals on used prii, which can offset the upfront cost. should you keep the car long enough to require a new battery, there are cheap alternatives to having it replaced with an OEM battery. i am not a hybrid snob, but i get annoyed by people knocking them based on hearsay and folk wisdom. i've been told to steer clear of the hyundai sonata hybrid though. guess it's not as well thought out as the prius or camry hybrid.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »