Honda bringing a v8 to their Acura lineup

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Honda bringing a v8 to their Acura lineup

Post by bk7794 »

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/28/hond ... g-in-2015/

Thoughts? This article seems to be from 2008...so you think they'd ever do it?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Honda bringing a v8 to their Acura lineup

Post by AHTOXA »

I haven't read the entire article but my thoughts are that it's not going to happen. In my opinion, if they bring in a V8, what platform are they going to put it in? The closest I can think of is a ridgeline, but it's a unibody truck that doesn't need that big of a motor.

To be successful with a V8, it's going to require a RWD platform as I think a V8 in FWD is completely not necessary, ala V8 FWD Grand Prix of somewhat recent years. There's absolutely no point. It's going to be a nose-heavy, understeering car with a some massive torque steer. Otherwise, I don't see Honda having a RWD coupe/sedan. If they do, it will have to compete with an M3/M5 and other AWD/RWD European heavy hitters, which I don't think it can at this point.

Edited to add: What's more likely, is that the market will demand a turbo V6 instead. Heck, even BMW is shifting that way and there's talk of a forced induction V6 Corvette as well. A turbo 6 will deliver similar power, while better meeting higher MPG requirements.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

The V8 engine is really starting to die out. They're still out there, but it's getting harder and harder to find them. Hell, even the V6 seems to be losing favor to forced-induction 4-bangers. Anyway, my point is simply that engine displacement and number of cylinders generally seems to be declining thanks to fuel economy standards, so I have my doubts that we'll see much in the way of manufacturers actually adding more V8 engines to their line-ups in the future.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

AHTOXA wrote:I haven't read the entire article but my thoughts are that it's not going to happen. In my opinion, if they bring in a V8, what platform are they going to put it in? The closest I can think of is a ridgeline, but it's a unibody truck that doesn't need that big of a motor.

To be successful with a V8, it's going to require a RWD platform as I think a V8 in FWD is completely not necessary, ala V8 FWD Grand Prix of somewhat recent years. There's absolutely no point. It's going to be a nose-heavy, understeering car with a some massive torque steer. Otherwise, I don't see Honda having a RWD coupe/sedan. If they do, it will have to compete with an M3/M5 and other AWD/RWD European heavy hitters, which I don't think it can at this point.

Edited to add: What's more likely, is that the market will demand a turbo V6 instead. Heck, even BMW is shifting that way and there's talk of a forced induction V6 Corvette as well. A turbo 6 will deliver similar power, while better meeting higher MPG requirements.
This article was in 08 so I bet that is whats going to happen.

They were going to make an RWD sedan I guess as stated in the article. But I bet it was just to keep the dealers quiet about the want for a v8.
Shadow wrote:The V8 engine is really starting to die out. They're still out there, but it's getting harder and harder to find them. Hell, even the V6 seems to be losing favor to forced-induction 4-bangers. Anyway, my point is simply that engine displacement and number of cylinders generally seems to be declining thanks to fuel economy standards, so I have my doubts that we'll see much in the way of manufacturers actually adding more V8 engines to their line-ups in the future.
Whats funny is that hyundai actually spent money to develop their "tau" v8 used in the genesis. But that was before all the fuel economy savings and turbocharged 4 cylinders.

I am still waiting to see if Honda brings a turbo engine to their lineup. They did have a 2.3l turbo engine that put out impressive numbers. But it was only for an Acura suv and it was AWD. They claim they may bring a turbo 1.6 to the type R. I do enjoy their N/A engines though.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:Whats funny is that hyundai actually spent money to develop their "tau" v8 used in the genesis. But that was before all the fuel economy savings and turbocharged 4 cylinders.
What's funny about that statement is that the Genesis Coupe had a turbo-4 at the same time as the Tau V8 came out. The statement still stands in general, that little bit of trivia just makes it funny.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Whats funny is that hyundai actually spent money to develop their "tau" v8 used in the genesis. But that was before all the fuel economy savings and turbocharged 4 cylinders.
What's funny about that statement is that the Genesis Coupe had a turbo-4 at the same time as the Tau V8 came out. The statement still stands in general, that little bit of trivia just makes it funny.
doesn't the Tau V8 have more power though? The straight 4 now is pretty impressive. Back then it was too, but not compared to the 6
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Probably. There's no replacement for that much displacement.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

true, but it still got the car going. And atleast they were doing something out of the ordinary. Not the traditional V8 or V6.