Stick-only Ford model

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Stick-only Ford model

Post by bk7794 »

Squint wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I was reading in this car magazine that this engine will have belt driven oil pump. If I remember correctly, I believe the pump is submerged in oil, and the belt should last the life of the car. Though, what is considered the life of the car nowadays.
Less than your 1905 Civic. S'all I'm sayin...
:D
I wonder where the 1.6 and 1.0 eco boost engines will be made?? :lol:

The 1.6 also I guess is modified in some ways better than the Fusion's engine.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

bk7794 wrote:
Squint wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I was reading in this car magazine that this engine will have belt driven oil pump. If I remember correctly, I believe the pump is submerged in oil, and the belt should last the life of the car. Though, what is considered the life of the car nowadays.
Less than your 1905 Civic. S'all I'm sayin...
:D
I wonder where the 1.6 and 1.0 eco boost engines will be made?? :lol:
*goes to Google* please say Mexico.. please say Mexico.. please say Mexico.. :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Squint wrote: *goes to Google* please say Mexico.. please say Mexico.. please say Mexico.. :lol: :lol:
lol I've expressed why I have concerns about that. It's not that they can't make good cars, especially because 90% of it is probably automated, and even the parts that aren't are partially automated.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Would a turbo 1.6 in the Fiesta, were it ever to be offered that way, have the same cooling problems as in the Fusion and Escape? I've heard of the few recalls on those little jobbies. Aren't the radiators too small for the application, at least in the Fusion and Escape?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^There are a lot of issues with underhood temperatures soaring as airflow is choked-off by active grill shutters and belly-pans, all in the name of improved aerodynamics for increase fuel efficiency.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:^There are a lot of issues with underhood temperatures soaring as airflow is choked-off by active grill shutters and belly-pans, all in the name of improved aerodynamics for increase fuel efficiency.
Yikes. Those are great ideas but I would expect them to be implemented more conservatively with fail-safe designs.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:^There are a lot of issues with underhood temperatures soaring as airflow is choked-off by active grill shutters and belly-pans, all in the name of improved aerodynamics for increase fuel efficiency.
Yikes. Those are great ideas but I would expect them to be implemented more conservatively with fail-safe designs.
The only Fiesta that has active grill shutters was the SFE model, at least in 2011 when I got mine. I don't know now if they added that to all of them.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Grilles on many cars are oversized for worst case scenarios. That's why hypermilers partially block their grilles to decrease wind drag and increase engine temperatures. Just ensure you monitor the coolant temp, and remove the grille blocks during summer months or when towing.

I noticed on really cold winter days, the coolant temp could be as low as 155F. Ideal operating temperature is 180-200F.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

DKaz wrote:Grilles on many cars are oversized for worst case scenarios. That's why hypermilers partially block their grilles to decrease wind drag and increase engine temperatures. Just ensure you monitor the coolant temp, and remove the grille blocks during summer months or when towing.

I noticed on really cold winter days, the coolant temp could be as low as 155F. Ideal operating temperature is 180-200F.
What is shameful is that many vehicles no longer offer coolant gauges. So you'd have to add your own. Probably can get a digital module.
tankinbeans wrote:Would a turbo 1.6 in the Fiesta, were it ever to be offered that way, have the same cooling problems as in the Fusion and Escape? I've heard of the few recalls on those little jobbies. Aren't the radiators too small for the application, at least in the Fusion and Escape?
I would assume they worked that issue out, but what you say brings up a good point. The Escape and the Fusion have much more space for a bigger radiator. Quite odd that they'd have a problem.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:What is shameful is that many vehicles no longer offer coolant gauges. So you'd have to add your own. Probably can get a digital module.
Idiot lights (and lack of gauges) became common many decades ago. I'd say gauges are more common now than they were in the 80s. However, modern coolant temp gauges are often fake, showing normalized or even completely false info that the computer wants you to see. I thought people were full of crap when they said that, until I started watching coolant temp on my Scangauge...my VW and my GMC both can be off by as much as 30 degrees, though usually are within 10 degrees of reality.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

When my Banshee started overheating last year I had him hooked to a ScanGuage. He had been getting hot for awhile and I'd been monitoring him. When I called the dealer I asked what the recommended operating temp was (ScanGuage read 250) and I mentioned the reading to them. All they said was, "keep it in the middle of the temp gauge and you'll be fine." I was tempted to ask where this gauge was, since the car didn't have one.

That was the last time I interacted with the dealer I bought him from. The first warning that they were idiots, or at least inattentive, was when they told me I still had 7/32 of tread left, when I truly only had 2/32.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

I use an UltraGauge. I would've preferred the made in the USA ScanGauge, but the UltraGauge had some convenient features like auto fillup detect. Plus you can see up to 8 different gauges at a time, although I set it for 6.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

DKaz wrote:I use an UltraGauge. I would've preferred the made in the USA ScanGauge, but the UltraGauge had some convenient features like auto fillup detect. Plus you can see up to 8 different gauges at a time, although I set it for 6.
Also, the Ultragauge is like 30% of the price. I would have gotten the UG instead if it has existed at the time. Made in USA is nice, but it shouldn't be a charity; if the USA has to get paid 3x to make almost the same thing then it should be made elsewhere. Waste does not help anything.

DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

It was $178 shipped for the SGII vs. $107 for the UG here in Canada, $71 extra wouldn't have been a big deal but for the SGII to not have auto fillup detect is just odd. I didn't want to go through a process to reset the distance to empty meter, especially if my wife is the one driving the car. My only gripe with the UG is that it looks like a GPS unit, and can't be mounted on the steering column like the SGII can, but I found a good place to mount it in my Mazda 3 at least.

I'm always rooting for more manufacturing jobs in North America, just that the unions have to realize that making $30 an hour assembling things is just not economically viable for many companies. The oil fields are always looking for welders and pipe fitters and heavy machinery operators if they want to make more money. Significantly more money.

My Ultra Gauge:
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:What is shameful is that many vehicles no longer offer coolant gauges. So you'd have to add your own. Probably can get a digital module.
Idiot lights (and lack of gauges) became common many decades ago. I'd say gauges are more common now than they were in the 80s. However, modern coolant temp gauges are often fake, showing normalized or even completely false info that the computer wants you to see. I thought people were full of crap when they said that, until I started watching coolant temp on my Scangauge...my VW and my GMC both can be off by as much as 30 degrees, though usually are within 10 degrees of reality.
Probably more so on OBD II, but I remember my 87 Taurus used to fluctuate before the T-stat opened, and before the fan was just about to turn on. Not sure about my 91 civic. I hear that is also true with Auto tranny temp gauges on Ford trucks. They only have like 5 set points.