Yanking the car into neutral with no clutch? How bad is it?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Yanking the car into neutral with no clutch? How bad is

Post by Squint »

So, who wants Rope to find all these pieces of a transmission, find an empty office, and record weekly videos describing how parts of the car work?

That second post actually made sense :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:So, who wants Rope to find all these pieces of a transmission, find an empty office, and record weekly videos describing how parts of the car work?

*Raises hand and runs away.*
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:
Squint wrote:So, who wants Rope to find all these pieces of a transmission, find an empty office, and record weekly videos describing how parts of the car work?

:lol: :lol: Be proud of that raised hand! No questions are dumb questions! (except the dumb ones). Oh captain, my captain! *insert other phrase here*

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:

:lol: :lol: Be proud of that raised hand! No questions are dumb questions! (except the dumb ones). Oh captain, my captain! *insert other phrase here*
Since I'm a geek, and steal pics on Facebook all the time, i spotted one that said, "whoever said 'there are no dumb questions' has never worked retail."

I completely agree with this statement after having been a Walbourg for three years.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I completely agree with this statement after having been a Walbourg for three years.
Thanks for saying "Welcome to Wallmart" every time I entered...oh, and wipe that drool off the corner of your mouth. It's not a good look.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I completely agree with this statement after having been a Walbourg for three years.
Thanks for saying "Welcome to Wallmart" every time I entered...oh, and wipe that drool off the corner of your mouth. It's not a good look.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Ooh, is this the repeating game? Let me try!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Ooh, is this the repeating game? Let me try!
something happened and an error message said the post didn't send. And then, after I resent it, my confuser connection to the forum was lost. I'm blaming it on sun-spots.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

We found RP's glitch in the Matrix.

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I was watching this and it still confuses me how the gear is locked to the shaft, but the shaft can be disconnected from everything, neutral. Are there basically two shafts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:

I was watching this and it still confuses me how the gear is locked to the shaft, but the shaft can be disconnected from everything, neutral. Are there basically two shafts?
Yeah, there's a mainshaft and a layshaft. The gears on both shafts are in constant mesh, but the layshaft gears are basically one piece of metal. In other words, they are not free to rotate independent of the shaft. The mainshaft's gears are free to rotate on the shaft. So picture all the gears in constant mesh and then a gear on the mainshaft is locked onto the shaft. That's how you select a gear ratio.

Here, check this out....it's a better idea than trying to explain it:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmiss ... /printable
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:

Sure, some folks (Shadow) will tell you "Yes, there's a mainshaft and a layshaft", but that is where they would be wrong!

(Actually, it would be Tony's mother, but we'll save that argument for later)

Oh yeah, there have been two different actors who have played Shaft in the movies, but Sammy Jackson's Shaft would crap his pance if Richard Roundtree's Shaft ever caught him in a dark alley.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Look at this one. RWD again. This is a fairly modern design - reduces shift inertia by how it locates the synchronizers. 1/2 and 5/6 Synchronizers are on Mainshaft. 3/4 Synchro is on Layshaft. That means that Layshaft inertia is reduced, since 3rd and 4th gears aren't coupled to the shaft until one of them is selected (coupled through the synchronizer sleeve and hub). Less inertia means easier shifting.

In that previous video, 1st gear wasn't synchronized and they used external, straight-cut teeth on the 1/2 synchronizer sleeve to achieve 1st and Reverse gears. They had to be straight-cut. You can't slide helical gears into mesh like you can straight-cut gears. Also, notice how reverse gear slid into position so it engaged 1st gear teeth on synchronizer sleeve on mainshaft (well, it is the sleeve for the 2nd gear synchronizer) and 1st gear teeth on layshaft. Even in gearboxes with synchronized 1st, engaging teeth on the external surface of the synchronizer sleeve is still a well-used method of achieving Reverse gear. In this exact case, Reverse would have the same gear ratio as 1st, but throwing an idler gear between the two gears reverses the rotation compared to sliding the sleeve and engaging them directly with each other.