Engine Kaboom :/ (with pics)

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Engine Kaboom :/ (with pics)

Post by eaglecatcher »

Hey all. Know I've been absent, but thought I'd make some time to head back here and see what's up. And what better way to make my return than with a catastrophic engine failure!!! Who likes pictures?

Spun a rod bearing and wrecked the crank and rod. Lucky I didn't throw it through the head...

So now, it's getting rebuilt. Crank and rods are forged from the factory, so keeping those stock (albeit replacing the ruined ones...). Pistons will be .040" overbored (88mm) Wiseco forged pistons with coated skirts. And then coated Clevite main and rod bearings. Also getting just a refresh of the heads to get the valves sealing good again and make sure things are in good shape.

So now I'll have a forged bottom end :twisted: on a 0 mile engine. It's gonna be nasty :D

Also, I'm deleting the power steering (and also the HICAS 4 wheel steering system), working on creating a true divorced intake (for the MAP sensor conversion), deleting the EGR, PCV, and a couple other misc. unnecessary systems. Also gonna be cleaning everything and painting a few things.

Was going to think about upgrading turbos, but decided to wait as there's some possibility of a big fat single turbo setup coming out in the next year or two. Either that, or I'll be saving for the twin front mount setup :D

So hopefully I'll get to spend more time around here, and wanted to let y'all know what was up with the Z
Last edited by eaglecatcher on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Re: Engine Kaboom :/ (with pics)

Post by 4onthefloor »

Try again with the pics.

Also what's the purpose of this:
eaglecatcher wrote:I'm deleting the power steering
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Ah damn, they're on my Z forum. Must be weird. Will try again. PIcs are pretty brutal.

Deleting the power steering because it's leaking like a mofo, and to make room for a front mount/single setup in the future. Also, I'm going to either use an electric MR2 pump or go to a manual rack if I don't like it, but want to try it like this first.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I can understand deleting power steering, but isn't the 4 wheel steering a handling advantage?

Deleting EGR means you'll have to retard your timing, throwing away some power.

Deleting PCV means you'll have to rebuild your engine again sooner. If you don't want your PCV stuff going back into the engine, why not use a catch can?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Peacy Vee is your friend. It takes blow-by exhaust,fuel and water vapors out of your crankcase, lest they accumulate in mass quantities and dilute / pollute your oil or go boom in the presents of spock or flame.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

The 4 wheel steering is nice at low speeds, but makes the rear end feel twitchy at high speeds. Also, it runs of the PS so deleting that means deleting 4WS.

EGR: Actually won't have to retard my timing. The EGR on these cars is only active basically when cruising at under 3k rpms. So really not very active. More a source of leaks than anything, and deleting it makes pulling the intake manifold about a 30 minute job instead of 2 hours.

PCV: Will run an open catch can of some source, or possibly a partial delete. However one of the top Z tuners deleted his and ran a catch can and has had no issues in 60k miles. We all change our oil religiously (every 3k or less), so I'm not too concerned about contamination. Especially with a rebuilt engine, should have less overall than the old one even without the PCV.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

eaglecatcher wrote:PCV: Will run an open catch can of some source, or possibly a partial delete. However one of the top Z tuners deleted his and ran a catch can and has had no issues in 60k miles. We all change our oil religiously (every 3k or less), so I'm not too concerned about contamination. Especially with a rebuilt engine, should have less overall than the old one even without the PCV.

All DOG's chillin' got blowby and condensation in they's crankasses, jess some moren otters, so why not run PCV? Problems with oil getting into the lines? Better to go to hebbin whiff a baffle in your vallbe cubber than to be cast into gahenna with a low ph in your pan. I remember the days b4 PCV sonny, and we all thought it was just some emissions BS being rambed down our throtes by the Californicators on the West coast, but the biggest surprise was in how the oil quality improved. It was like stepping on a cowpie and finding a diamond inside it. Serendipitus, yup, that's what it was.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

IMO, a catch can will do the job just fine...it's eliminating the entire PCV system that would be a problem.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Ah yes I realize now that saying deleting the PCV system would easily imply I was just sealing it off.

Silly me. Yes, some sort of breather/catch can apparatus will be in place.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs