Interesting bit on shift knob weight

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Interesting bit on shift knob weight

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:Every floor shifted vehicle I have had has been a Ford truck and eventually the knob pulled off on a hard 1-2 shift, sometimes throwing the knob.
I visualized that and LOL'd.

With a nice long lever, one could conceivably experiment with duct-taping weights on to see how they affect shifting. Hmm...I too have a long lever...who am I kidding I'm too lazy for that. Though, mine is hollow so it would be easy to do it permanently and have it look fine.
Yes, quite funny. The '95 F150 had a supercab and it ended up in the back seat. The F150s had very long levers, much
longer than the Ranger pictured above. Check out the '95 (even looking from above you can see it is very long,
and I could really fly though the gears on that thing):
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:The '95 F150 had a supercab and it ended up in the back seat. The F150s had very long levers, much
longer than the Ranger pictured above. Check out the '95 (even looking from above you can see it is very long,
and I could really fly though the gears on that thing):
i used to love the baseball bat shifters in the fullsize fords. my dad had a 92 F250 manual with the 4.9 litre I6 that was a hoot to drive. i've also ridden in manual diesel F250s and F350s (the F350 was a tow truck) and they seemed to drive differently (obviously). The tow truck driver seemed to resent me even comparing the 4.9 litre with his mighty diesel rig. The fellow with the diesel F250 just loved trucks and understood my comparison (same guy who sold the older dodge ram to the deaf kid).

"Engine sizes were converted to metric for 1983, causing the 300 to become the "4.9". Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 165 hp (123 kW) with 8.8:1 compression. This engine was gradually phased out, ending production in 1996, and was replaced by the Essex V6 in the F-series trucks with their 1997 redesign. However, it was renowned for its durability, low end torque, and ease of service. The 300 4.9 came with the Ford C6, E4OD, ZF S5-42 and S5-47 transmissions, as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5-speed manual transmission, and the Borg-Warner T18 and New Process NP435 4-speed manual transmissions. The 4.9-liter 6-cylinder was built in the Cleveland, Ohio engine plant."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Straight-6_engine
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:i used to love the baseball bat shifters in the fullsize fords. my dad had a 92 F250 manual with the 4.9 litre I6 that was a hoot to drive. i've also ridden in manual diesel F250s and F350s (the F350 was a tow truck) and they seemed to drive differently (obviously). The tow truck driver seemed to resent me even comparing the 4.9 litre with his mighty diesel rig. The fellow with the diesel F250 just loved trucks and understood my comparison (same guy who sold the older dodge ram to the deaf kid).

"Engine sizes were converted to metric for 1983, causing the 300 to become the "4.9". Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 165 hp (123 kW) with 8.8:1 compression. This engine was gradually phased out, ending production in 1996, and was replaced by the Essex V6 in the F-series trucks with their 1997 redesign. However, it was renowned for its durability, low end torque, and ease of service. The 300 4.9 came with the Ford C6, E4OD, ZF S5-42 and S5-47 transmissions, as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5-speed manual transmission, and the Borg-Warner T18 and New Process NP435 4-speed manual transmissions. The 4.9-liter 6-cylinder was built in the Cleveland, Ohio engine plant."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Straight-6_engine
Aw, your makin me regret having sold the ol' torque monster!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote: Aw, your makin me regret having sold the ol' torque monster!
there's always next time (if the ranger ever should die...) 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:there's always next time (if the ranger ever should die...) 8)
Those I4 5MT Rangers run forever, many hundreds of thousands of miles, but eventually succumb to rust.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:there's always next time (if the ranger ever should die...) 8)
Those I4 5MT Rangers run forever, many hundreds of thousands of miles, but eventually succumb to rust.
Yep, well here in the Detroit area the salt kills cars long before the engine can go. They have a huge salt mine under the city and so it is cheap to throw tons of salt on the roads in winter. As much as I miss that ol 4.9 I guess I just have to move on. The Ranger is pretty peppy and quite a lot of fun, just doesn't have that torque monster kick in the pants when you nail it at 2000 rpm. I did notice a HUGE improvement in power on the '95 EFI 4.9 over the previous carburated versions. It wasn't just the EFI, but the long intake runners helped a lot, as did the dual exhaust manifolds.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:I did notice a HUGE improvement in power on the '95 EFI 4.9 over the previous carburated versions. It wasn't just the EFI, but the long intake runners helped a lot, as did the dual exhaust manifolds.
any experience with the V6 in the newer F150s??
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:any experience with the V6 in the newer F150s??
Starting in '96 or '97 they ran a 4.2L V6 which was a very good engine. I know two people who had these with manual transmission and they were very trouble free. I understand Ford got rid of the 4.9 because it was a hydrocarbon hog and was too long and tall for the curved hood of the new-at-that-time F150.
Stick shiftin since '77
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:My factory knob is falling apart. The rubber bit under the top glossy plastic cover that contains the shift pattern is deformed and is coming undone. I'm deliberating to go aftermarket or go to dealer for replacement.
The factory knob on your fairly new car? Really? Did they make it out of the cheapest materials possible?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!