Replacement Tire Suggestions for Yokohama S32As

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions for Yokohama S32As

Post by permabanned »

the engine being mounted low and LS1 under the windshield status was hinting at a road race setup, but you dont run a locker in a car thats made for turns.

thats also quite a lot of engine for a road race. a higher revving smallblock would suit it a lot better and weight a hell of a lot less. no replacement for displacement obviously but a 7000rpm 383 would put out about 500 horse depending on the heads and cam obviously. the main difference is that the power would be much higher in the rpm range, right where you want it for road racing

aspirations for something like american iron series racing or just something out of the ordinary, you dont see many classic cars made to handle, its either restore or drag car, at least around here thats how it is
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

I had American Iron in mind when I started but the class is a little too restrictive so I'm on the fence about that one. The tracks I was considering had many curves and very few straights so torque and mid range power was the reason for the big block. The engine required a dogbox. In retrospect, the topheavy nature of the engine was probably not the wrong way to go, but it runs on pump gas (i was young) and the engine has a slight lash so it'll wear very kindly. Not to mention anything above a reliable 500hp sbc would cost more than this engine did.

I'll probably swap the current front suspension with a customized afco suspension and I'll let the fabricator handle the specifics. Currently it has del-a-lum bushings, 1" b-body spindles, 1-1/8 sway bar, customized howe centrelink pitman arms idler arms blah blah blah.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend, if at all possible, but don't expect a finished product. Just expect a mix of nice unfinished products.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

holy shit, 1 1/8 sway bar, my axles arent even that thick
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

Yeah, if and when I scrap the front suspension, that'll go along with it. I've read that too stiff a swaybar will cause the end links to break off the lower control arms but then again, a big block is fairly heavy. I think I have fairly stiff springs (I think 700lbs) and the QA1 coil overs are valved 50/50.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

if your end links snap that means you need stronger endlinks
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

Swaybar shouldn't compensate for lack of stiff springs. Stiffer spring should :)
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

truth. but when you got a ton of engine in the front youll need a bigass swaybar
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

truth. and don't talk about her like that.