Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am "Look, Grandpa's car still has a steering wheel!"
Funny, but ultimately a very sad story. I hope it is a lot way off before we get there.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am "Look, Grandpa's car still has a steering wheel!"
Funny, but ultimately a very sad story. I hope it is a lot way off before we get there.
Driver operational interfaces are tough to get just right. I'm sure there are manufacturers who would just as soon move along and get past having to spend time and money on them "if the car's just going to be driving itself anyway". I think that's the key. If lane minding or automatic emergency braking systems go down now, the driver intercedes and completes the trip. Without the availability of driver controls, a vehicle with an inoperative self driving system becomes a disabled vehicle, hopefully parked along the side of the road and not stopped in a traffic lane.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"