Advanced driver training

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
OntarioStickMan
Junior Standardshifter

Advanced driver training

Post by OntarioStickMan »

Hello everyone,

I finally bought my first vehicle with a standard transmission about a month ago and I'm loving it! It's so much more fun to drive and I think I'm actually beginning to appreciate the "art of driving". lol.

I was wondering if there are any courses I can take on how to properly drive standard. I think I'm pretty good with the basic skills to driving a standard but I would like some sort of reasurrance that I am doing things properly; I would hate to ruin my clutch/transmission/engine due to my inability to drive a car with a standard transmission properly. :)

I have phoned a few places where I live (Ottawa, Ontario) but the driving schools insist on using their own vehicles whereas I would much prefer to use my own. They also include a couple "rules of the road" lessons but I already have my full driver's licence and do not need such instruction. Anyone know of a place where I can receive this kind of training? Does such a place even exist?

Any help/information is greatly appreciated!

J
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

Welcome aboard.

This is the company you want to talk to about stick shift lessons in Ottawa:

http://www.proshift.ca/
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome to the forums.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Welcome to the site, OntarioStickMan. :mrgreen: Prodigal Son will show you the way. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
OntarioStickMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by OntarioStickMan »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I look forward to contributing to some of the posts on here.

Do any of you know what percentage of cars are equipped with standard transmissions in Canada? In the States?
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

OntarioStickMan wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I look forward to contributing to some of the posts on here.

Do any of you know what percentage of cars are equipped with standard transmissions in Canada? In the States?
In the States? 10% and dying! Not sure about the %, but it is pretty rare. You'll see a lot of automatics, and with newer cars, manuals aren't standard anymore. The new standard, for Americans, is Automatic. :x
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

black94boost wrote:...and with newer cars, manuals aren't standard anymore.
Saab 9-3! Saab 9-3! Saab 9-3! Gotta love it
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

black94boost wrote:
OntarioStickMan wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I look forward to contributing to some of the posts on here.

In the States? 10% and dying! Not sure about the %, but it is pretty rare. You'll see a lot of automatics, and with newer cars, manuals aren't standard anymore. The new standard, for Americans, is Automatic. :x
10% was actually the number for new vehicles sold with MT. :( It seems to have bottomed out at 9-10%ish. Weird.

I just hope the curve for Europe doesn't look the same as ours in the 70s and 80s.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto