My first time today

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
piper
Junior Standardshifter

My first time today

Post by piper »

Hi everybody, I drove my first SS car today!
My friend finally let me drive his Accord V6. It was too powerful for a newbie, for me at least.
This is really a great site, I learned all my knowledge from here. Thank you so much.
I was only in the car for 5 minutes before my friend said that's enough. I found it very hard to implement everything I learned here into a five minute drive. I was busy looking at the road, the tach, the speed while trying to think the stuff that I learn, and the shifter is new to me. One good thing though, I didn't stall at all. But the car was bucking crazy, I guess I gave to much gas.
Any idea how I can improve my skill without actually driving a SS car? I need some new friends.
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Re: My first time today

Post by DrNick »

piper wrote:Hi everybody, I drove my first SS car today!
My friend finally let me drive his Accord V6. It was too powerful for a newbie, for me at least.
This is really a great site, I learned all my knowledge from here. Thank you so much.
I was only in the car for 5 minutes before my friend said that's enough. I found it very hard to implement everything I learned here into a five minute drive. I was busy looking at the road, the tach, the speed while trying to think the stuff that I learn, and the shifter is new to me. One good thing though, I didn't stall at all. But the car was bucking crazy, I guess I gave to much gas.
Any idea how I can improve my skill without actually driving a SS car? I need some new friends.
Welcome to the site.

It's possible to improve your theoretical knowledge of driving a stick, but as for improving your physical skill, it's all about actual practice. Find another friend who's willing to let you drive around for longer than 5 minutes, or look around for a decent used/new car to learn on. Practice definitely makes perfect.

Best of luck. :D
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site.

you can't really improve a skill without using it. gotta get out there and drive. good luck!
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sorax
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Sorax »

Welcome. Of course you can't learn to drive stick without actually driving but you could better prepare yourself for taking full advantage of your next time behind the wheel. Be sure to read the F.A.Q. linked above. The no-gas method is extremely important to learning the feel of the transmission. A couple no-gas launches and you'll know the contact point and be able to better sense engagement of the clutch. And remember to be smooth with the gas and not to use it like a switch. If you buck forward and just take your foot off the gas you'll engine brake and make the buck feel worse. Just ease off the gas.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^^ Easing off the gas helps, but if I haven't give enough gas or released the clutch to quick, I push the clutch back in and do a rolling launch.
<3 fwd
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

lol, at first, I thought you meant your first time, for something else... :twisted:
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
RedVision_350
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RedVision_350 »

Welcome! :D
1994 Saturn SL, 5-Speed

Yarr, A Pirates Life For Me!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

eagle, haha I thought the same :? great minds think alike lol ?
<3 fwd