Replace manual windows with electronic?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Replace manual windows with electronic?

Post by StrangeWill »

How difficult would this be? Theoretically.

I've been thinking about doing it some time in the future... :P
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

cant be that hard...
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

You'd need the regulators, switches, wiring, door panels etc from the same car with electrical windows ... very costly, time consuming and it just adds unnecessary weight and more things to break.

I'd rather have manual windows.
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

I'm big on Opening the WIndows and Sun roof in the summer, so Power Windows is a must for me.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

you could probably jerry rig some sort of motor and switch to the shaft that the hand crank rotates to move the window. might not be pretty though. :lol:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

PureLife wrote:You'd need the regulators, switches, wiring, door panels etc from the same car with electrical windows ... very costly, time consuming and it just adds unnecessary weight and more things to break.

Only problem I have is that window on the other side of the car ;P
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

just get an automatic window regulator w/motor, your car should alraedy have a slot open in the door for cars that came with the option for power windows. you'll also need an automatic door card. Tap in to a wire source to power the motor (should also be included in the car, but un used if the car came with the option for power windows) and you should be set.
spak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by spak »

it sounds to me, that it would be easiest to buy two new doors, with the power windows on it, and maybe power locks too, if you dont have those, i dont, but my fuse box has places for power windows and locks, and it even has fuses in it for me! i think that its strange that it already has fuses for it even though it doesnt have the features :?:
1998 Dodge Dakota 5 Speed
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I think they have aftermarket kits for this that are not so expensive
MustangGT
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangGT »

cheapest solution would be probably going to the junkyard, finding the door matching your car, and either put it on your car, or strip the parts from the inside.

To tell you the truth - not worth the trouble. Save money for a better car...
V8 Mustang - the stereo's under the hood...
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

I agree with PureLife and MustangGT - probably not worth the trouble or the money. I have manual windows and it's fine, and I have 4 doors and a sunroof! 8) The way I see it (at least for my car) it's just one less thing that could break.
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

KevSC1
Senior Standardshifter

Post by KevSC1 »

PureLife wrote:You'd need the regulators, switches, wiring, door panels etc from the same car with electrical windows ... very costly, time consuming and it just adds unnecessary weight and more things to break.

I did both windows in my Saturn coupe in 4 hours, including a lunch break, and that included running wires.

I lucked out that I had power door harnesses (inc. wiring for locks, which I might add someday), but even without them, it wouldn't have been too bad.

As for weight, at least in a Saturn S-series, the difference in weight is at MOST an ounce a window - if that. I didn't actually weigh them, but the power ones might actually be lighter.

YMMV.
The Saturn Performance Club - The Club that *DOES* Stuff
http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com/