full throttle and short shifting

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
pHiLix
Junior Standardshifter

full throttle and short shifting

Post by pHiLix »

ok, heres the story. my previous car was automatic and i rarely put the foot to the floor when overtaking cars, etc because i know it will go all the way to redline which will obviously lead to wear at tear.

but now in the manual, sometimes i like to use full throttle then shift early (usually at 4000-4500rpm) since i have the option to do this in a manual car and not auto.

is this a common thing to do on manual cars, use full throttle but short shift? does it cause more wear and tear to the engine compared to accelerating slowly to 4000rpm?

any feedback appreciated, thanks.
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

I believe scionkid is an advocate of full-throttle shifts, but I may be mistaken because he refers to them as wide-open throttle shifting.

In any case, short shifting at high revs sounds like a contradiction to me :? Unless of course you don't consider 4000 or 4500 high. Are you talking about really quick sprints in each gear until you reach the highest gear for the current conditions?
pHiLix
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pHiLix »

Hatchman wrote:I believe scionkid is an advocate of full-throttle shifts, but I may be mistaken because he refers to them as wide-open throttle shifting.

In any case, short shifting at high revs sounds like a contradiction to me :? Unless of course you don't consider 4000 or 4500 high. Are you talking about really quick sprints in each gear until you reach the highest gear for the current conditions?
my car has a redline of 7500rpm so 4000rpm isnt all that much but i usually dont take my car over 4000rpm anyway during normal driving conditions.

nah im not talking about quick sprints to the highest gear. usually when i do this, it will only be for one gear (the gear im currently in) or two gears max. but usually i do it on the 3-4 shift.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i prefer full throttle to redline :twisted:

personally i wouldn't be worried about wear and tear going to 4k, full throttle or not. 4k isn't high.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

I'm confused... Can 4k = full throttle?
pHiLix
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pHiLix »

Hatchman wrote:I'm confused... Can 4k = full throttle?
well.. floor it until you reach 4000rpm then change gear. get it? :lol:
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Duh yeah I guess LOL. I don't think my gas pedal has ever really hit the floor though :|
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Hatchman wrote:Duh yeah I guess LOL. I don't think my gas pedal has ever really hit the floor though :|
well you must remedy that on your next drive! :twisted: i task you to go full throttle, to redline, through as many gears as you can until you're just going too fast. :twisted: do it! :P
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

jomotopia wrote:
Hatchman wrote:Duh yeah I guess LOL. I don't think my gas pedal has ever really hit the floor though :|
well you must remedy that on your next drive! :twisted: i task you to go full throttle, to redline, through as many gears as you can until you're just going too fast. :twisted: do it! :P
The definition of brow beating :lol:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:
+1 LOL The car benifits from being FT once in a while.. do it Hatchman! LOL Show that "Sport Sedan" next to you who's boss :lol:
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

I find myself doing that, my redline is shorter but IMO 4000 is 4000. I can't do WOT because if I do ill be WOT for about 3 seconds before i hit redline, but going half WOT is fun too.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

paul34 wrote:I've always been curious about this as well

Is there a differnece between going WOT to your shift point vs. accelerating slowly up your shift points in regard to fuel efficiency and engine wear?
Maybe and yes. WOT short-shifting improves engine efficiency, which may or may not have an effect on fuel economy. And WOT short-shifting, believe it or not, contributes to less engine wear because it allows maximum combustion efficiency, leading to less deposits.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

IMO, short shifting should be done at about the first 1st of the rev range. In the case of a 7500 rpm engine, short shifting would be to shift at 2500 rpm. And when you do short shift, the car accelerates slowly even if you use WOT.

Generally, the less power you use to accelerate, the more fuel you'll save. There are 2 ways to limit the engine's power output. The universal way is to tread lightly on the throttle and this limits the amount of air an engine can aspirate. The 2nd way is to use a high gear and WOT. Since the high gear limits engine speed, this limits the number of air intake.

The theory is that WOT is somewhat more efficient because the engine doesn't have to burn extra fuel to suck in air through a small throttle opening. However, it burns more fuel per engine revolution, which means more heat is transfered to the cooling system, and you need to keep an eye out for the temperature gauge.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

scionkid, is that how you shift? If so, please tell us what kind of milage you get with that theory.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Ideally, WOT and short shifting will give best mileage. Most cars switch to set fuel tables that usually are a bit richer than the feedback loop model at part-throttle, so real-world mileage might not reflect the savings.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites