general thing

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
richardnixon
Junior Standardshifter

general thing

Post by richardnixon »

so i got my first manual car a little over a week ago, a honda accord. it took me a sec but I got the hang of it really fast and I dunno if I'll ever drive another auto in my life!

I just had a few questions.

1. I noticed sometimes when I'm driving, usually in either third or fourth and I got to shift, I push in the clutch and take my foot of the gas and for some reason the RPMs shoot up real fast then go down to whatever it's gonna go to in the new gear. At first I thought maybe I was pushing the gas after all, so I got really consious of it and I noticed I'm in fact not pushing the gas. Is this normal or am I just crazy?

2. On the newer model Honda Accords, does anyone know if the gearshift knob is interchangeable?

Thanks!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: general thing

Post by potownrob »

richardnixon wrote: 1. I noticed sometimes when I'm driving, usually in either third or fourth and I got to shift, I push in the clutch and take my foot of the gas and for some reason the RPMs shoot up real fast then go down to whatever it's gonna go to in the new gear. At first I thought maybe I was pushing the gas after all, so I got really consious of it and I noticed I'm in fact not pushing the gas. Is this normal or am I just crazy?
2. On the newer model Honda Accords, does anyone know if the gearshift knob is interchangeable?
Thanks!
The rise in rpms is probably from not being off the gas when you push the clutch in. Try getting totally off the gas before pushing in the clutch. That way, when you get quick at that technique, you won't have gas there when the clutch disengages. If you have gas there, the rpms fly up when you take the load off the engine by disconnecting it from the transmission via the clutch :) As for the shifter knobs, I think most if not all Honda knobs are interchangeable since they have the same threads at the top of the shifter shaft :wink:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.