New manuals...

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: New manuals...

Post by AHTOXA »

Shadow wrote: Native speakers don't generally use the word "plot" to describe land for a house because it sounds silly.
I love your dumb generalizations and assumptions about native speakers and many things in general and, mostly, you're the one that sounds silly. But, I'm sure you've studied etymology of the word "plot", so you can make that statement. I'm sure you'll try to prove me wrong.

You make an excellent internet troll, or maybe you just live in your own bubble of bullshit.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:A plot of land is a plot of land. You can either live there or be buried there. It's your plot in either case.

And the plot thickens!

A lot is land that you buy to build a house. You don't get buried in a lot, you get buried in a plot. The word "plot" is usually used when talking about cemeteries or burial grounds. Native speakers don't generally use the word "plot" to describe land for a house because it sounds silly. Now a buriel plot, on the other hand....LOL
I would actually argue that "plot" is used regionally and can include an area of land not relating to burial. It's not as common as lot, but I've heard it used.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i like pizza.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, how about dem Snowflakes?!!!!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Hey, how about dem Snowflakes?!!!!
We actually have a small chance of snow here this afternoon. It was over 50°F two days ago. Ah Kentucky weather.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:
I love your dumb generalizations and assumptions about native speakers and many things in general and, mostly, you're the one that sounds silly. But, I'm sure you've studied etymology of the word "plot", so you can make that statement. I'm sure you'll try to prove me wrong.

You make an excellent internet troll, or maybe you just live in your own bubble of bullshit.

Wow, are you angry, Nancy? Ease up there. Are you offended because you're not a native speaker of English?

As for proving you wrong....sorry, not worth my time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2016 Jaguar F-Type AWD plus stick shift(!) first drive

"
If tapping paddles and letting computer chips smother your mistakes sounds too easy, you should check out the V6 manual.

The manual gearbox is shared with the XE sedan, features semi-dry-sump lubrication and a 45-mm throw, and has closer ratios to suit the F-Type’s sportier brief. The press material also draws attention to the development time lavished on shift lever mounting bushings and the rod linkage in the search for driver-pleasing tactility. In reality, it’s a mixed bag.

The pedals are perfect for heel-and-toe braking, the clutch entirely user-friendly and the lever easily in reach –- Jag has even sculpted the armrest to make sure your elbow is ideally positioned. But there’s a stickiness when you pull or push the lever over the neutral threshold, and the throw could be shorter. It is not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to behold, either.

You buy a Cayman or a 911 with a manual gearbox because they shift so slickly that it actually adds to the experience. There’s nothing really wrong here, but the decision to go manual should be based on cost, and not some quest for extra involvement."

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... irst-drive
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

LOL
topic........................................................................................................................................................................................................you guys.

I'm with AHTOXA on plot vs lot, definitely regional and BY DEFINITION plot is just land for any usage, burial or otherwise. Yes, English is my first language.
In the spirit of off-topicness, I rewired my garage lights to be a single 240v circuit on one double-pole switch instead of two 120v circuits with 3 switched banks. saves probably 40' of wire too. Quite happy.

About the jag: yea, sounds about right. Reminds me of when the Nissan 350Z started blipping the throttle to rev match down shifts.

The good news is I found (in the snow) that the VDC-off button DOES turn off traction control as well (What they misleadingly call ABLS).
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5