Interesting bit on shift knob weight

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Interesting bit on shift knob weight

Post by watkins »

FDSpirit wrote:The S2K one is nice though
If I could get one like that, I'd be very happy. But since my car only has 5 speeds, that would look a little, well, cheesy :lol:
Pop off cap, fill, paint, replace.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

FDSpirit wrote::lol: . The Tick???!!
Yes. Yes it is.
Win.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

You don't need a weighted shifter when the actual shifter is longer than your arm. :lol:
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

i think for the most part, oem shift knob weights are optimized for the general populace's specs - be it average hand size, arm length, and feedback of "notchiness" etc. in other words, the oem shift knob weight is the best matched weight for that particular transmission for the general public.

having said that, as enthusiast drivers, heavy vs. light knobs will always be a personal preference. my current shift knob is lighter than the oem but its a sphere shape, whereas the oem is a teardrop shape. it fits better in my hand and it takes no more effort to shift than it did with the oem knob. having said that, shift "feel" doesn't have than solid "thunk thunk" feeling when changing gears... i'm not sure if i like the lighter knob, but, i do like how the sphere shapes fits in my hand. when i tire of this one, i'll probably look for a oem weight or slightly heavier sphere shaped knob...
08' Acura TSX ASM/Ebony 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

One, or two, could write a thesis on matching shift detents to knob mass to get the perfect shift action - and it would still be a matter of a pinion.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

My duracon shift knob is like 70grams lol, I've tried a 380gram shift knob and it does make a huge difference, you don't feel any syncro resistance but didn't really like the ball shape and the metal knob was slippery and burning hot in summer.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I should have named this thread "knob job".
1974Alfa5spd wrote:You don't need a weighted shifter when the actual shifter is longer than your arm. :lol:
:lol: I guess I won't bother playing with knobs then.

My knob is probably 5.5-6oz (156-170g). It appears to have had a previous life as an 8-ball, though now it's just a plain black ball approximately the size, shape, and material of a billiard ball.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Where would I go to look and see if anybody sells a shifter knob in the shape of Clifford The Big Red Dog's head? I know, I know, I know, GOOGLE IT! Are there any preferred vendor's of my fellow SSers? I've seen the ones that look like skulls, and find them very interesting indeed.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

My factory knob is falling apart. The rubber bit under the top glossy plastic cover that contains the shift pattern is deformed and is coming undone. I'm deliberating to go aftermarket or go to dealer for replacement.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

One more thing to obsess over!
My knob is a hardball which is supposed to weigh 5 ounces, so about 140 grams. Maybe that is why some of
my gears are a bit notchy? Of course, a longer shift lever may compensate for a lighter weight knob.
Notice the OEM pattern insert from original shift knob is now mounted in the cigarette lighter hole to the left of the radio.
Last edited by ClutchFork on Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote:Where would I go to look and see if anybody sells a shifter knob in the shape of Clifford The Big Red Dog's head? I know, I know, I know, GOOGLE IT! Are there any preferred vendor's of my fellow SSers? I've seen the ones that look like skulls, and find them very interesting indeed.
I want a Curly Howard head for a shift knob. Nyuk nyuk nyuk! Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote:Where would I go to look and see if anybody sells a shifter knob in the shape of Clifford The Big Red Dog's head? I know, I know, I know, GOOGLE IT! Are there any preferred vendor's of my fellow SSers? I've seen the ones that look like skulls, and find them very interesting indeed.
1) Obtain Clifford toy
2) Decapitate
3) Mount to shift lever
4) ...
5) Profit!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:One more thing to obsess over!
My knob is a hardball which is supposed to weigh 5 ounces, so about 140 grams. Maybe that is why some of
my gears are a bit notchy? Of course, a longer shift lever may compensate for a lighter weight knob.
Longer lever really won't change it all on its own, it's the mechanical advantage that's involved that affects it. A longer lever with the fulcrum further from the load will have the same MA and therefore knob weight will have the same effect. Of course we don't know how yours is setup, but even if we did we'd still be comparing apples to oranges. Every transmission is different and yours may naturally be more notchy than another.
watkins wrote:
1) Obtain Clifford toy
2) Decapitate
3) Mount to shift lever
4) ...
5) Profit!

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:Longer lever really won't change it all on its own, it's the mechanical advantage that's involved that affects it. A longer lever with the fulcrum further from the load will have the same MA and therefore knob weight will have the same effect. Of course we don't know how yours is setup, but even if we did we'd still be comparing apples to oranges. Every transmission is different and yours may naturally be more notchy than another.
These Mazda transmissions in Ford trucks tend to be notchy--so I have heard and experienced. I weighed a baseball and an aftermarket shift knob. They were within about half an ounce in weight. Doesn't seem the factory knob was any heavier. Every floor shifted vehicle I have had has been a Ford truck and eventually the knob pulled off on a hard 1-2 shift, sometimes throwing the knob.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Every floor shifted vehicle I have had has been a Ford truck and eventually the knob pulled off on a hard 1-2 shift, sometimes throwing the knob.
I visualized that and LOL'd.

With a nice long lever, one could conceivably experiment with duct-taping weights on to see how they affect shifting. Hmm...I too have a long lever...who am I kidding I'm too lazy for that. Though, mine is hollow so it would be easy to do it permanently and have it look fine.