Buying a second hand car

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

a new driver should learn to drive an automatic before he/she goes on to learn how to operate a manual

yes
63%
no
38%

Total votes: 16

Jpk3200
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Jpk3200 »

I know exactly what you mean... :D
"Piston engine goes 'boing boing boing boing', but the Mazda goes hmmmmm..."
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Giving a beginning driver a powerful car to learn on is like asking them to play russian roulette...

I'm thankful I beat the odds.
Someone_1500
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Someone_1500 »

whats the most critical or crucial mistake that a manual driver can make?

from all of your experiences... whether it involves car damage or safety of you and others.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Forgetting to drive...Not watching the road.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

After driving manual for a month as a detailer, I was asked to go out and put a tank of gas in a brand new car that was to be delievered. So there I was trying to pull a 3 point turn on a steep slope. Not wanting to stall nor burn the clutch, I gave it a lot of gas as I released the clutch. They weren't kidding about Saturns being torque heavy. Luckily, I stopped within inches from a concrete wall.

I walked away w/ 2 important lessons.
1) When in trouble, clutch and brake are your best friends.
2) While occasional major clutch wearing incidents are undesirable, they are almost always cheaper than body damage and paint jobs. In my case, I should've had rode the clutch while backing uphill, instead of foot off the clutch and went way too fast.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Saturns are cool, lol. A couple friends of mine took their cars to the drag strip for bits and kibbles, one with a Saturn with a 100hp engine, the other in an 88 Acura Legend, 2.7L 160 hp V6... Out of three runs, the Saturn won twice, lol.

I've heard really good things about the L300 and its V6 engine.
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

The L300 unfortunately is not available in standard if I'm not mistaken, but it is a nice car... my dad wanted to get one, but I won and got a coupe instead... you thought the 97hp saturn was fast... this is one is faster and has a longer power range in each gear.. it's great...
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Roberdito
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roberdito »

Back to the original question, I learned to drive a manual before I ever touched an automatic, and I'm ok (the car still works too). I think if you could learn to drive with a manual then you could drive anything. That means there is no point in time where you couldn't drive any car out there. Things happen, good deals surface, if you can't drive a stick, your choices are severely limited.

P.S. Go with the stang' 8)
StandardShifterMz3s
Senior Standardshifter

Post by StandardShifterMz3s »

I voted YES for the poll question:
a new driver should learn to drive an automatic before he/she goes on to learn how to operate a manual?
Simple reason..... If you have the option to learn on an AUTO..... do it. No options... then learn on a Manual.

PS. Learning to drive first on the AUTO makes the learning process on the manual, thereafter, limited to clutch/shifting operation.... instead on learning to drive as well.
Whisper Softly: --> Zoom-Zoom...
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Rest of the world learn to drive in a manual. Why can't we do this in North America?
adamkpro3
Junior Standardshifter

Post by adamkpro3 »

I think most people have no interest in driving here they just want to get where they need to go, or they want to read/eat do other things while driving. :(
StandardShifterMz3s
Senior Standardshifter

Post by StandardShifterMz3s »

scionkid wrote:Rest of the world learn to drive in a manual. Why can't we do this in North America?
"We're" NOT the rest of the world.....maybe that's why?

--> Where as, in rest of the world MANUAL is dominant and in N.A ...AUTO is dominant.
Whisper Softly: --> Zoom-Zoom...
tomazws
Junior Standardshifter

Post by tomazws »

mustang!
VERYBadStickDriver
Junior Standardshifter

Post by VERYBadStickDriver »

StandardShifterMz3s wrote:
PS. Learning to drive first on the AUTO makes the learning process on the manual, thereafter, limited to clutch/shifting operation.... instead on learning to drive as well.
i liked this reasoning. makes more sense