Drive your automatic like a stick..LOL

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
Jeffs
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Jeffs »

next time you race him, tell him to put his car in neutral, rev the engine to about 2-3K and place it in D, might get a better launch that way :lol:
545i--->6-spd, B&B exhaust, Rogue Engineering SSK, de-badged, 25% tints
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Neutral drops are BAD! They'll destroy your engine mounts after a while. :evil:
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Jeffs wrote:next time you race him, tell him to put his car in neutral, rev the engine to about 2-3K and place it in D, might get a better launch that way :lol:
Nope. Not good. Best way to launch an automatic is brake torque. Hold the brake down as hard as you can while you build up torque in the torque converter (hold the gas down). Light goes green -> dump the brake -> you shoot.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Jeffs
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Jeffs »

hahahahahaha you're right i totally forgot about brake torquing in an auto. At least that way you only destroy the brakes and not the tranny which is much harder to replace. :lol:
545i--->6-spd, B&B exhaust, Rogue Engineering SSK, de-badged, 25% tints
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Jeffs wrote:hahahahahaha you're right i totally forgot about brake torquing in an auto. At least that way you only destroy the brakes and not the tranny which is much harder to replace. :lol:
Actually torque braking destroys the drivetrain, and not the brakes becasue the car wants to move, but you are preventing it from doing so.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Yeah, it won't affect the brakes at all; they are not slipping. It's like a clutch. If it isn't slipping, it isn't wearing.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I was toying around in my dads car, waiting for him to come out of the store and I found that you dont even have to engage the brake to shift, all you have to do is just basicaly rest your foot on the brake. There is a bit of room, to where you can push the brake just a bit, and the brakes dont move, just the brake lights turn on, and it allows you to shift. So I could be driving down the street, flashing my brake lights at people, and not slow down a bit. I was doing some synchronized light flashing to the music in the car, and my brother was like "hey, the lights in the back are flashing to the beat of the music" i just laughed and laughed.

BTW, when we went on our trip, my dad rented an 06 toyota avalon, and when he floored it, no it didn't have that much power, but it would rev all the way up to about 6k before shifting. It was pretty cool. I never got to drive it though, and he never even used the tiptronic. Its better than an auto, but still not as good as a real stick
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

eaglecatcher wrote:I was toying around in my dads car, waiting for him to come out of the store and I found that you dont even have to engage the brake to shift, all you have to do is just basicaly rest your foot on the brake. There is a bit of room, to where you can push the brake just a bit, and the brakes dont move, just the brake lights turn on, and it allows you to shift. So I could be driving down the street, flashing my brake lights at people, and not slow down a bit. I was doing some synchronized light flashing to the music in the car, and my brother was like "hey, the lights in the back are flashing to the beat of the music" i just laughed and laughed.
There are certain positions on an automatic that you can move the stick to without braking, or pushing in the lil knob; like from R to D, D to N, 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 or D
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

A heated debate so let me help you guys out,

Automatic base word auto. In car sense an Automatic car with well, Automaticlly change for you. I don't know much about the mechanics but I would think that and automatic car is programmed to be driven in the powerband rpms. When I floor my gas *Very Rare* the car shifts at a lot higher rpm then when what it would do just normally driving at the speed.

I could be 100% wrong just my view
~Ian
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

yeah, I have noticed that when I drive normal, it shifts at like 3000, but when I have the gas down, to merge and quickly get up to speed on the street, I have found it shifts more towards like 5k or 6k at the most.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Bodder wrote:A heated debate so let me help you guys out,

Automatic base word auto. In car sense an Automatic car with well, Automaticlly change for you. I don't know much about the mechanics but I would think that and automatic car is programmed to be driven in the powerband rpms. When I floor my gas *Very Rare* the car shifts at a lot higher rpm then when what it would do just normally driving at the speed.

I could be 100% wrong just my view
~Ian
No, you are absolutely right. When the gas is floored, this signals the computer to shift at the appropriate point where the next gear is able to fall back into the powerband. Shifting an auto tranny manually doesnt do this (if you dont know the car that is).
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

my moms jag, is an auto. the shift pattern is a U, there is the PRND, on the right side of the u,and on the left side, it goes 5432. It is a 6 speed, so say you were cruising down the highway in 6th, could you move the stick over to the 4, and pass someone, and then pop it back into D? that would cause some strain right?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

To pass someone, just floor the gas in D. The transmission will downshift for you much more efficiently than you trying to force the car into 4th.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

On some cars though, the tranny is retarded, and just kinda flops around like a big huge lazy dog.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Yeah, that's true. In the old Ford Aerostar I use to drive, a long time ago, it would take like 3 seconds for it to downshift.