"Popping the clutch "what exactly does it mean?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
pHEnomIC
Junior Standardshifter

"Popping the clutch "what exactly does it mean?

Post by pHEnomIC »

I hear this phrase: popping the clutch many times.

IVe been driving stick for months now and know most of the slang and stuff as well as the advanced techniques, but what exactly does this mean?
2002 SOM T/A m6
1997 Black Z/28 a4
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

It's the same thing as dumping the clutch, IIRC.
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

Post by camera_man »

Popping the clutch refers to when the clutch is suddenly and completely released. No pause, no gradual release. Just let it go all at once. It's very hard on the drivetrain (which makes sense). Used a lot for very quick launches or burnouts.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

six wrote:Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.
Yup.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
initialeclipseshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by initialeclipseshift »

Johnf514 wrote:
six wrote:Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.
Yup.

ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:
Take it from 4th to 2nd and take the corner no problem ^_^
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

initialeclipseshift wrote: ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:
Actually, it causes wear but it is not that hard on the clutch as there is only minimal slippage. However, hammering the transmission, differential, constant velocity joints, crankshafts, connecting rods, piston pins, etc. etc. etc. is not a good idea.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

scionkid wrote:
initialeclipseshift wrote: ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:
Actually, it causes wear but it is not that hard on the clutch as there is only minimal slippage. However, hammering the transmission, differential, constant velocity joints, crankshafts, connecting rods, piston pins, etc. etc. etc. is not a good idea.
damn, you beat me to it lol... Yea.. you'll get a nice choke from the seatbelt :shock:
bklynvw
Junior Standardshifter

Post by bklynvw »

poping the cluch is just getting off the clutch very hard like instead of moving your foot up, you pull it in to you and the clutch shoots up.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Post by victim »

initialeclipseshift wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:
Yup.

ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:
you wouldnt smell nothing because your not slipping the clutch
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

scionkid wrote:uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:
Ah right... I was thinking of downishifting and not rev matching then poping hte clutch... i guess...
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Sypher wrote:
scionkid wrote:uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:
Ah right... I was thinking of downishifting and not rev matching then poping hte clutch... i guess...
yeah when i first got my car i did a few way underrevved downshifts to 2nd and let off the clutch real fast and i heard tire squeal and the seatbelt hurt me :(
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
scion_xA
Senior Standardshifter

Post by scion_xA »

jomotopia wrote:
Sypher wrote:
yeah when i first got my car i did a few way underrevved downshifts to 2nd and let off the clutch real fast and i heard tire squeal and the seatbelt hurt me :(
Dang, that must be some quick acceleration.
2006 Scion xA
Mods: TRD Short Shifter