Hi from St. Louis!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
SueZee
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '14 FJ 6MT, '78 280Z 5MT

Hi from St. Louis!

Post by SueZee »

Thrilled to find the website. Driving manual again after a few decades off and loving it. Got the bug after buying my '78 Z a year ago and had to have one for my daily driver! It was a challenge to find an SUV (one daughter plays cello so my choice in vehicles was limited) with 4wd in a manual but I did and I love love love my FJ! Anyway, glad to find other fellow stick lovers!
'14 Toyota FJ Cruiser-MT
'78 Datsun 280Z-MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Hi from St. Louis!

Post by Squint »

SueZee wrote:Thrilled to find the website. Driving manual again after a few decades off and loving it. Got the bug after buying my '78 Z a year ago and had to have one for my daily driver! It was a challenge to find an SUV (one daughter plays cello so my choice in vehicles was limited) with 4wd in a manual but I did and I love love love my FJ! Anyway, glad to find other fellow stick lovers!
Welcome! FJs are fun vehicles (I worked at a Toyota dealership for ~1.5 years) though they aren't the best on gas. There are only a handful of vehicles that come to mind regarding spacious vehicles and manuals, and at least half of my immediate list have been canceled (FJ, Honda Element - not 4WD to my knowledge - Bill can correct me if I'm wrong) so glad you were able to find one. Another possibility could be a Subaru Forester for future reference - they are considered a compact SUV officially, I believe. The Subaru Outback used to have a manual but they dropped it for the 2014 or 2015 year models.

Anyway, ask any questions if you have them. We like to opine about anything and almost everything. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome! I'm a fan of FJs as well. They are more civilized on the road that Wranglers - at least the Wranglers prior to '07 - but they can still hold their own offroad with a few inexpensive modifications and a factory rear locker.

EDIT: the FJs are also a really smart buy. Just like Tacomas and Wrangers WRXs and a few others, they hold their value insanely well.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Welcome! I'm a fan of FJs as well. They are more civilized on the road that Wranglers - at least the Wranglers prior to '07 - but they can still hold their own offroad with a few inexpensive modifications and a factory rear locker.

EDIT: the FJs are also a really smart buy. Just like Tacomas and Wrangers WRXs and a few others, they hold their value insanely well.
FJs are dead now, unfortunately. We never sold many of them at the dealership, but they did have a loyal following for those that have owned one.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

They are expensive, that's why. For that money, most went with the image, which is the Wrangler, especially after '07, when the Wrangler came out with 4 doors and meaningful interior space.

But, for as expensive as they are, they are moderately capable, highly dependable, depreciate well and drive good for the vast majority of the road driving that most of us do anyway.

I have wheeled with a few faily stock-ish FJs, save for a mild lift, agressive tires and an optional factory locker. They did very well. Armor them up, beef up the front axles and steering, and you can go to town.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:Armor them up, beef up the front axles and steering, and you can go to town.
...or away from town.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Pedantic bovine is pedantic.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
SueZee
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '14 FJ 6MT, '78 280Z 5MT

Post by SueZee »

I really love it. I would like to do some minor mods though. Tires will be the first thing. But, one project at a time. Husband is bringing my Z to it's prior glory. He did all the rust work, welded on new panels, big brake kit, racing suspension and aggressive big tires. I need to figure out the seats. Whether to stay stock ( they're in good shape) or go racier. Will need body work eventually, minor stuff, but I'm more interested in driving her again soon. Her tranny is like butter!
'14 Toyota FJ Cruiser-MT
'78 Datsun 280Z-MT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Welcome to the forums SueZee! :)
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k