Balance gas and clutch pedal on every upshift

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
FRSstyle
Junior Standardshifter

Balance gas and clutch pedal on every upshift

Post by FRSstyle »

So obviously you have to balance the gas and clutch on first gear. And there is some wear and tear on the clutch (but not excessive or premature).

In order to avoid wear and tear on the clutch, I just release the clutch in about 0.7 seconds. I don't quickly let my foot off the clutch, or release it slow, but I try to avoid the time the clutch is spent in between up and down.

But there is a jerkiness to the car that seems okay because I think the synchros are meant to be there.

Should I be doing the same gas and clutch balance on every upshift?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Balance gas and clutch pedal on every upshift

Post by theholycow »

The jerking is not related to the synchros. Synchros will affect the ease of moving the shifter into each gear. The jerk comes as you engage the clutch and it grabs.

If the jerk sends your head towards the windshield, your engine speed is too low when you engage the clutch. If you watch the tachometer you'll see it jump up as the clutch grabs. You might fix it by shifting faster, but you probably just need to give it a little gas before or as you bring the clutch pedal up. Exactly when and how much is a matter of practice. There was a thread about this just the other day.

If the jerk sends your head towards the headrest more than accelerating in the new gear should, your engine speed is too high when you engage the clutch. If you watch the tachometer you'll see it jump down as the clutch grabs. If you're giving it some gas as you engage the clutch, do less. Otherwise you might wait longer before engaging the clutch for it to fall naturally (if your car isn't afflicted with rev hang). If you don't want to wait, can't nail your timing perfectly, or have rev hang, you will need to ease up the clutch pedal more slowly like when launching from a stop. That's fine, the car was designed with the expectation that you will do that.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Cow said it better than I could have. Welcome to the forum FRSstyle!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome. As cow said, it'll just take practice. Don't worry about damaging anything. Your car can take the learning process and then some. At most it'll be uncomfortable for you and passengers.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Like others have said, don't obsess about minimizing the time spent between clutch in and clutch out. I'm sure you heard it from someone or read it online that slipping your clutch is bad. Don't focus on that, instead experiment to find out what gives your smooth starts and shifts. A little shift shock is acceptable but if you think its too much then just adjust your timing and slow down your clutch release if you have to.

Learning is an ongoing process, so don't expect to be an expert in a couple months. I've been driving for almost 2 years and I still try to work on some things every day. I'm sure there are those who've driven manual longer than I have who do the same. Enjoy the learning process and welcome!
2012 VW Golf R
PaintDrinkingPete
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PaintDrinkingPete »

daleadbull wrote:Like others have said, don't obsess about minimizing the time spent between clutch in and clutch out. I'm sure you heard it from someone or read it online that slipping your clutch is bad. Don't focus on that, instead experiment to find out what gives your smooth starts and shifts. A little shift shock is acceptable but if you think its too much then just adjust your timing and slow down your clutch release if you have to.

Learning is an ongoing process, so don't expect to be an expert in a couple months. I've been driving for almost 2 years and I still try to work on some things every day. I'm sure there are those who've driven manual longer than I have who do the same. Enjoy the learning process and welcome!
Driving manuals for 22 years here, and I agree with most of what everyone here has said... (and yes, I'm still learning every day as well)

Eventually, all of it just becomes muscle memory, and if you're timing your clutch release, you're probably thinking about it too much. Each vehicle/transmission/clutch will have it's own "personality" and sweet spots. Just get used to getting a *feel* for what feels right for your vehicle, and eventually it will seem instinctual.