New Member From Michigan

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: New Member From Michigan

Post by tankinbeans »

InlinePaul wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote:Welcome, Paul! I'm a recent fan of inline engines as well; hope you enjoy your stay here!
Thanks. I love inline engines. The six is the most beautiful being perfectly balanced, but I'll go for a 5, 4, 3 cylinder if it is the right situation. Anything over 6 though I have to go V unless I want a classic car.

I am also a fan of pushrods, but frankly the DOHC in my Ranger is pretty nice, very high tech and a lot of fun to atdrive.
I still can't quite wrap my mind around how a 3 cylinder engine works. I always thought there had to be at least one cylinder in each stage of the combustion cycle (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) at all times, and with fewer than 4 cylinders that's not possible. For that matter the I5 in my friend's car confounds me no end.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Is it true that if you live in Redford you get an unlimited supply of Redline fluids for your vehicles?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote:I still can't quite wrap my mind around how a 3 cylinder engine works. I always thought there had to be at least one cylinder in each stage of the combustion cycle (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) at all times, and with fewer than 4 cylinders that's not possible. For that matter the I5 in my friend's car confounds me no end.
They have run engines in all sorts of configurations. Suzuki had three cylinder motorcycles back in the 1970s. I don't think it matters. Look at the older Harley Davidson two cylinders on a single crank throw, they loped and it is a great sound.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Is it true that if you live in Redford you get an unlimited supply of Redline fluids for your vehicles?
Now that would be nice. But I do have a stash of 196 quarts of engine oil in my cellar. None is Redline though. Some Amsoil, some M1, a ton of Maxlife in regular, synthetic, and Nextgen.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I still can't quite wrap my mind around how a 3 cylinder engine works. I always thought there had to be at least one cylinder in each stage of the combustion cycle (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) at all times, and with fewer than 4 cylinders that's not possible. For that matter the I5 in my friend's car confounds me no end.

"A five-cylinder engine gets a power stroke every 144 degrees (720° ÷ 5 = 144°). Since each power stroke lasts 180 degrees, this means that a power stroke is always in effect. Because of uneven levels of torque during the expansion strokes divided among the five cylinders, there are increased secondary-order vibrations. At higher engine speeds, there is an uneven third-order vibration from the crankshaft which occurs every 144 degrees. Because the power strokes have some overlap, a five-cylinder engine may run more smoothly than a non-overlapping four-cylinder engine, but only at limited mid-range speeds where second and third-order vibrations are lower."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-five_engine

"Straight-three engines employ a crank angle of either 120° or 180°.

120° cranks are rotationally balanced; however, since the three cylinders are offset from each other, the firing of the end cylinders induces a rocking motion from end to end, since there is no opposing cylinder moving in the opposite direction as in a rotationally balanced straight-six engine. The use of a balance shaft in an antiphase to that vibration produces a smoothly running engine.[8]

A 180° crankshaft can be found in straight-three engines made by motorcycle manufacturer Laverda and in small cars such as the Suzuki Cultus 1.0. In these engines, the outer pistons rise and fall together like a 360° straight-two engine. The inner cylinder is offset 180° from the outer cylinders. In these engines, cylinder number one fires, then 180° later cylinder number two fires, and then 180° later cylinder number three fires. There is no power stroke on the final 180° of rotation."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-three_engine
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

So, uhh...what are your thoughts on one and two cylinder engines?

Think flywheel.
InlinePaul wrote:Now that would be nice. But I do have a stash of 196 quarts of engine oil in my cellar. None is Redline though. Some Amsoil, some M1, a ton of Maxlife in regular, synthetic, and Nextgen.
Why so much? Apocalypse preparedness?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:Now that would be nice. But I do have a stash of 196 quarts of engine oil in my cellar. None is Redline though. Some Amsoil, some M1, a ton of Maxlife in regular, synthetic, and Nextgen.
Why so much? Apocalypse preparedness?
All were obtained on special deals. For example 76 quarts Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 @ $3 per quart was the Advance Auto sale in February. We hit 8 AA stores. Besides that I may be OCD! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I see. Good work, I do the same, just haven't done it with engine oil.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i do the same with pizza, except mine doesn't last nearly as long... :oops: :? :lol: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:i do the same with pizza, except mine doesn't last nearly as long... :oops: :? :lol: 8)
Maybe you could try it, like with McDonalds.
http://blog.friendseat.com/do-mcdonalds-burgers-decay/

Or you could make pizza jerky.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

his sacred bovinty wrote:So uhh...what are your thoughts on one or two cylinder engines.
I guess if always assumed that, since they were generally two cycle engines, they operated slightly differently. I'm not entirely sure what the flywheel does, and confess to being somewhat mechanically illiterate (I'm trying to learn where I can) and so only have a basic understanding.

I'm good at asking stupid naive questions though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I guess if always assumed that, since they were generally two cycle engines, they operated slightly differently. I'm not entirely sure what the flywheel does, and confess to being somewhat mechanically illiterate (I'm trying to learn where I can) and so only have a basic understanding.

I'm good at asking stupid naive questions though.
Most one-cylinder lawnmower engines are four stroke, not two. Then there's two-cylinder motorcycle engines...

There's no need for there to always be a power stroke happening, although engines that are designed that way are smoother. The flywheel is a heavy wheel attached to the crankshaft that helps smooth things out by being heavy and spinning. (With a manual transmission the flywheel's job is also to transmit that power through the clutch. With an automatic the flywheel and clutch are replaced by a lightweight "pressure plate" and a torque converter that is as heavy as a flywheel.)

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Thank you for that explanation. I think I understand a little more than I used to.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Those one cylinder motorcycles were sometimes called "thumpers." I recall that BSA made a single cylinder 500 cc bike. What beastly bike. As you know, the bigger the cylinder typically means greater torque.

But if you want massive torque you have to check this out:

http://www.vincelewis.net/bigengine.html
Stick shiftin since '77