I just wanted to say thank you

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
SykoRedhead
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Honda Fit

I just wanted to say thank you

Post by SykoRedhead »

I just wanted to say thank you to the people on this board. I bought a 2007 Honda Fit five years ago now, and it was my first standard. My (ex)husband could not sit in the car with me without screaming at me about doing it wrong and I never thought I would be able to learn to drive it. I was so frustrated, and the car sat in my driveway for weeks. Everytime I'd try to drive to work, it would end in disaster and I'd end up crying at a stop sign because I couldn't get the car to go and everyone was beeping at me.

Everyone on this board was so incredibly helpful and patient, and I read everything I possibly can. I practiced, and used those tricks, and when I'd get stuck on something, I'd post and it was explained in a way I could understand. I'm a very technical person (I'm a programmer) so I need to understand how things work before I can use them, and this forum was great for that.

Now I've been driving stick for 5 years and could not be happier about it. There was a brief period of time where I had to drive an automatic, and I felt so disconnected from the car. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made to drive a car with a manual transmission. It taught me to be a better driver in general, because you have to pay so much more attention to how the car is responding to the input you're giving it. You learn more intimately the effect all these buttons and levers have on the overall handling of the car. I became a more aware driver, because I had to focus on what gear to be in and predict what gear I would need to be in. Winter driving is a blast, and I never get stuck anymore. I ran out of gas the other day and was able to start my car on a hill! My cars are so much more reliable, because I don't have to worry about all these silly automatic parts failing, and my clutch is in great shape. I teach all my friends to drive stick now and have no desire to ever drive an automatic again.

So that's all I got. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for being so patient and spending so much time explaining things to people!
'09 Honda Fit, '91 BMW 318IS, '91 Toyota Pickup, '94 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible, '94 Honda Civic
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: I just wanted to say thank you

Post by potownrob »

I'm glad we were able to help you and that you didn't give up and now enjoy it. I vaguely remember your username but of course forget when or where I came across it on here. Is the 318 a stick too??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, your username sure looks familiar from back in the day. Glad that you stuck with it and enjoying it now.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I wasn't on the board in 2008, but these peeps have helped me become a much better driver through their patience and occasional good-natured ribbing when I've done something tremendously stupid.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

Is that Jon Voight's lebaron you're driving?
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

RomPirate wrote:Is that Jon Voight's lebaron you're driving?
:lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
RomPirate wrote:Is that Jon Voight's lebaron you're driving?
:lol:
No, that's his Lebron, James.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Oh hey, I think I remember you as well; we joined the board here around the same time. Glad things have worked out for you the way they have for me! Thanks for stopping back in to say 'hey!'