New from Maryland

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
adicecream
Junior Standardshifter

New from Maryland

Post by adicecream »

Hi and thanks for being here. I'm a 63-year old women, have driven standard shifts since the 1970s, and currently drive a 1997 Camry. I'm not a car enthusiast, but am a manual transmission enthusiast. Since I have nearly 40 years experience I haven't had trouble shifting in a really long time, though I can admit to a bit of panic in a parking garage with ridiculously steep ramps maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

I came across your site while doing research on what my next car should be. That's still a big question for me.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: New from Maryland

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Your next car should be..........Amish, of course!

Unfortunately, that limits your choices more and more each year now in the USA.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome to the club!! Curious what cars you've owned and/or driven over the years. What did you have in mind for your next car (what kind of car etc.)??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

Hi adicecream! I am a 62-yo female and just bought my first MT, a Honda Fit.

Welcome to the forum! :D
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome, welcome!!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome!!!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Fit4Fun wrote:Hi adicecream! I am a 62-yo female and just bought my first MT, a Honda Fit.

Welcome to the forum! :D
Hmm....deja vu all over again!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

adicecream wrote:Hi and thanks for being here. I'm a 63-year old women, have driven standard shifts since the 1970s, and currently drive a 1997 Camry. I'm not a car enthusiast, but am a manual transmission enthusiast. Since I have nearly 40 years experience I haven't had trouble shifting in a really long time, though I can admit to a bit of panic in a parking garage with ridiculously steep ramps maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

I came across your site while doing research on what my next car should be. That's still a big question for me.
Hi and welcome. So your '97 Camry is a manual? If so, it's a rare bird indeed!
adicecream
Junior Standardshifter

Post by adicecream »

Hi and welcome. So your '97 Camry is a manual? If so, it's a rare bird indeed![/quote]

It is a rare bird and I had to fight with dealers who thought I was crazy for wanting it. But it has been a great car and still runs beautifully. I'm thinking about a new one only because of the rust and the rattles.
adicecream
Junior Standardshifter

Post by adicecream »

potownrob wrote:Welcome to the club!! Curious what cars you've owned and/or driven over the years. What did you have in mind for your next car (what kind of car etc.)??
I drove a 71 Datsun, and owned a 76 Honda Civic, 84 Corolla and my current 97 Camry. I tend to keep cars till they die a natural death.

I don't know what I am getting next. Was looking at VWs and Nissans. Some cars are "manual mode" which seems like fake manual to me. My perfect car would have some luxury and technology without being huge or BMW-priced. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

And thanks for the welcomes.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, it can be tough getting taken seriously when you say you want manual. They don't want to sell manuals, they don't want to touch them, they don't want anything to do with them, and they can't believe that anyone would want one. They just want to sell what's on the lot.

I too keep vehicles until their natural death, and possibly beyond. :)

Manual mode is not a manual transmission, it's just a slightly more obedient automatic with a slightly different interface for letting you select your gear than "PRND321". Selecting your gear isn't all there is to manual, and I'm not sure it's even the most important thing about it. A newfangled sequential/dual-clutch doesn't do it either. No clutch pedal, no mechanical connection between my hand and the gear...no sale.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ When it wouldn't do what I wanted, I just kept slapping at it until it did.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

adicecream wrote:I don't know what I am getting next. Was looking at VWs and Nissans. Some cars are "manual mode" which seems like fake manual to me. My perfect car would have some luxury and technology without being huge or BMW-priced. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.
Have you looked at the Nissan Juke? It is a step up from an econobox, supposed to be fun to drive. Personally I am a Honda Fit fan...supposed to be as close as you can get to the Civic of yesteryear. But the Fit's not big on luxury.

http://www.nissanusa.com/juke/

2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
yen09

Post by yen09 »

Wow. Great looking car.