New from Ontario

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: New from Ontario

Post by wannabe »

Squint wrote:Not a big deal, everyone has to start learning somewhere. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was a year ago. What I was trying to ask, though it probably wasn't clear, was that I've heard the suspension is hard, as in you feel EVERY single bump in the road. It isn't smooth (think riding in a luxury car). Does it have enough room for taller person? For example, my brother is 6'2"...
drew sat in the driver seat at teh auto show...he's 6'7" and his seat was touching the back seat...he fit!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

A late welcome! Nice choice. :wink:

I rode in a newer mini (it was a 4 door; don't remember much more than that) when getting picked up @ Raleigh/Durham airport. It was the performance artist relations guy for Duke University. It was part of a multi-show tour and I was woozy/tired; I slammed his door into a concrete lightpost base when entering the vehicle. He wasn't terribly outgoing after that. I apologized profusely to limited avail. Hopefully insurance covered it.
Anyway, getting sidetracked: the ride was great; I was thoroughly impressed. Very quick too. Hope you enjoy it thoroughly! Don't pick up any slightly hung-over/jet-lagged scraggly-looking musicians though.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
scientist
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Mini Cooper

Post by scientist »

Thanks PD! I am enjoying it thoroughly. Haven't hit my door into any lightposts, so that's good... I will keep your passenger advice in mind!
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
Dirac
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Dirac »

My very first car was a VW Jetta manual that I drove around Toronto for years. I don't live in Toronto anymore and that was nearly a decade ago, so I'm feeling nostalgic for that car (I now have an automatic - gasp!).

So I'm tempted by this 1987 Saab as a second car, just to drive around town for a bit of fun:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ct ... 21537.html

What do you think? Likely to hold up for another 10k miles? 20k?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Dirac wrote:My very first car was a VW Jetta manual that I drove around Toronto for years. I don't live in Toronto anymore and that was nearly a decade ago, so I'm feeling nostalgic for that car (I now have an automatic - gasp!).

So I'm tempted by this 1987 Saab as a second car, just to drive around town for a bit of fun:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ct ... 21537.html

What do you think? Likely to hold up for another 10k miles? 20k?
Watkins is our resident Saab pert.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Engine in those is approximately bulletproof. Do it.