Do you look inside cars to see if its stick?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Do you look inside cars to see if its stick?

That's what windows are for!
95%
I have better things to do
5%

Total votes: 154

copen.
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Mazda 3

Re:

Post by copen. »

jomotopia wrote:i do it all the time for nice or sporty cars, and i'm usually disappointed :?
Same. :D
towid
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Accord V6 Ex-L

Re: Do you look inside cars to see if its stick?

Post by towid »

Good looking car or not, I always , always try to see if they have a stick shift.

Again, I personally drive an auto and having a second car soon enough with stick shift to learn how to drive a manual. It is a personal choice and automatic is way more relaxed and chilled out. I have heard drag race drivers saying that sometimes they miss auto just for the heck of relaxed driving and nothing to worry about.
No Woman deserves your tears and the one who does, will never make you cry.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I do it all the time. That's how I got my present vehicle. We saw a Ranger parked at the store with a for sale sign, ran over and peeked in the window, called the number and made an offer. Next morning it was mine!

I even was checking out a nice Ranger where I park and it had a stick. He has a pool ball for a shift knob, but not the typical 8-ball, but whatever number is red because his truck is red. One day I saw him follow me in the parking structure and so ended up talking with him.

Even look at Ranger pickups as I pass them on side streets as you can tell immediately if they are parked. Rangers never came with automatic floor mounted mode selectors.

What a sham, eh? Floor mounted automatic mode selectors are a poor attempt to make an improperly equipped car look sporty. But so many fall for it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

guilty as charged (albeit not as much as i used to)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I even was checking out a nice Ranger where I park and it had a stick. He has a pool ball for a shift knob, but not the typical 8-ball, but whatever number is red because his truck is red.
I was thinking of replacing mine with a blue #2 to match my car, but I've got plenty of more worthy projects that I'll never get to first.
What a sham, eh? Floor mounted automatic mode selectors are a poor attempt to make an improperly equipped car look sporty. But so many fall for it.
As much as I dislike the idea of column-shifted manual (and I know you feel different), I equally dislike the idea of floor-shifted slushbox. It doesn't need to be operated constantly, and in the floor position it wastes space that could be used for another seating position or storage without providing any increased functionality or ergonomic enhancement.

I'm also not a fan of non-standard interfaces like dials and buttons. I used to like them but the Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco really drove home the reason why standardized interfaces are important; people had lots of difficulty with start buttons and weird transmission controls when they tried to stop their vehicles. Innovative interfaces for stereos, windows, power seats, etc? Fine. Engine and transmission? No, stick with the interface that people's reflexes are trained for, there was nothing wrong with that interface anyway.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I do all the time. Unfortunately, I'm disappointed more often than not. :(
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

You can stack the deck by being selective about which cars to peek into. Small economy cars and sports cars are likely to have decent odds, especially older models. Other good bets are Jeep Wranglers, Mazda Miatas, MINI Coopers, most Porsches, and many Subarus. Then there are slam dunks like the Civic Si and Mazdaspeed3 which are stick-only, but that's cheating.

And yes, I do peek :-)
2013 Honda Civic Si
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

:lol: Stacking the deck like that sounds like walking through the parking lot looking for sticks. I glance in whatever I happen to be walking past.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Oh no, I don't mess around ...
2013 Honda Civic Si
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'll look when the occasion presents itself, and only if it won't be completely obvious. If I'd have to make a B line just to look at the gear lever I'll avoid doing so, but if it's in my general path I will look. I also tend to look at VINs to ascertain country of manufacture.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I'll look depending on the car. For example, we took a 2007 BMW 3 series in on trade a week or so ago (not me personally, the dealership), and I went and looked at that one. It's an auto. Siiiiigh
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

I do often. Yesterday saw an older Ford pickup truck, maybe an early 90's model. The trim level was actually called Explorer.
Nice to see it was a stick, had to have been a 4 speed for that year. Probably not all that uncommon in that era to have a stick.

My neighbor's 1971 Chevy C-10 is a 4 speed manual, but first is a very low gear. He usually starts in second.
2007 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 5MT
2002 Chevy Silverado LS 4x4 4AT
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

InlinePaul wrote:I do it all the time. That's how I got my present vehicle.
I wonder with your screen name if you ever had a Ford with the inline 300cid 6. I did in a 1980 Ford Club Wagon. It was a rare
because it actually had a 4 speed manual on the floor! That was a smooth riding truck.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Stelcom66 wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:I do it all the time. That's how I got my present vehicle.
I wonder with your screen name if you ever had a Ford with the inline 300cid 6. I did in a 1980 Ford Club Wagon. It was a rare
because it actually had a 4 speed manual on the floor! That was a smooth riding truck.
Did I EVER have a Ford 300 cid inline six! Yes sir! I started with my first in a '77 F100 3-speed manual on the column, followed by a 1984 with 4-speed OD on the floor, followed by a 1995 with 5-speed on the floor. So I drove Ford 300 cid inline sixes from 1977 through 2011 when I sold the '95 and bought the Ranger, also an inline engine. :wink:

Here is the 1977's engine:
Stelcom66 wrote:My neighbor's 1971 Chevy C-10 is a 4 speed manual, but first is a very low gear. He usually starts in second.
Creeper gear. Usually found in heavy duty pickups with manual transmissions. Drive it like a 3-speed for most use. I drove one like that in a F350 dump truck for a municipality when I was a temp in their urban forestry division many years ago.

Of if only reverse were a creeper gear in all manual transmission vehicles.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

InlinePaul wrote:
Did I EVER have a Ford 300 cid inline six! Yes sir!

You most certainly did! Great picture of the '77 engine. The Club Wagon is something I really wish I still had. I don't think standard shifts have been available in vans for years. I recall changing the oil filter from inside the van! It was tough to park, no power steering or even a radio. Once it got rolling though - a nice ride. Used it as a pickup truck for the most part. If I recall correctly, the Club Wagon's 4 speed's first gear was down to the left, where second would normally be. I think I have some videos of the kids playing with it when they were little, when I stopped driving it they used it as a fort. Didn't really want to sell it but a guy who installed carpets offered good money for it. Being a van - the length capacity was huge.