New from Ontario

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
scientist
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Mini Cooper

New from Ontario

Post by scientist »

Hi Everyone,

I've been wanting to learn how to drive a manual for a while now. I decided to get a new car, and really wanted to go for a manual, and found this site while looking for tips. I called a driving school and took a lesson before I bought the car, and it went really well, so I was pretty confident and excited. I traded in my old Civic for a new Mini Cooper. The drive home from the dealership was not so great! I made the horrible decision of picking up the car right around 5pm. The stress of driving it home during rush hour was horrible. I stalled it so much and made the other drivers so angry that I wasn't sure I'd ever improve.

Anyway that was a week ago, and things have improved tremendously since then. I've been practicing a lot when it's quiet, and got some help from a friend who has been driving a manual for years. Now I'm doing pretty well. I'll admit I'm still avoiding driving when it's really busy and I am nervous starting on hills, but I'm starting to get more confident.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking forward to the good discussions here and becoming a pro!
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Re: New from Ontario

Post by DarkPilot »

Which part of Ontario? I'm in London and glad to see another Ontarian around here.

As for busy traffic, don't sweat it too much it'll come in due time. My personal hell is having to go through the 401 at Toronto at rush hour...

Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I used to live in Ontario....now I don't.......welcome.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Bienvenue! Which mini did you get? My brother has flirted off and on with the idea of getting one once he got out of college and got a job... I've heard the driving part is fun, though the suspension could use some work. Accurate rumor mill?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome! Image
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Welcome, hat!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hello Down South There!

Sorry, but the Finns got you beat on the music videos:
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
scientist
Junior Standardshifter

Post by scientist »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and encouragement!

I'm from Waterloo, so the rush hour really isn't so bad- nothing like commuting through Toronto at all.
Squint wrote:Bienvenue! Which mini did you get? My brother has flirted off and on with the idea of getting one once he got out of college and got a job... I've heard the driving part is fun, though the suspension could use some work. Accurate rumor mill?
Thanks! I got a 2011 Mini Cooper. I was thinking about the Cooper S, but I really don't drive fast enough to need the turbo charged version. It is a lot of fun to drive. I don't know a ton about cars, so I may not be the best one to comment on the suspension, but I've found it to be pretty sturdy, more than it looks like it would be. My dad drove it and he said he was impressed with it. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Not a big deal, everyone has to start learning somewhere. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was a year ago. What I was trying to ask, though it probably wasn't clear, was that I've heard the suspension is hard, as in you feel EVERY single bump in the road. It isn't smooth (think riding in a luxury car). Does it have enough room for taller person? For example, my brother is 6'2"...

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Wwelcome from West Virginia. I don't live here, just camping out.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:Wwelcome from West Virginia. I don't live here, just camping out.
+1
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
scientist
Junior Standardshifter

Post by scientist »

Thanks everyone!
Squint wrote:Not a big deal, everyone has to start learning somewhere. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was a year ago. What I was trying to ask, though it probably wasn't clear, was that I've heard the suspension is hard, as in you feel EVERY single bump in the road. It isn't smooth (think riding in a luxury car). Does it have enough room for taller person? For example, my brother is 6'2"...
Ah, thanks for the clarification, I'm glad to be learning about all of this. I don't really feel all the bumps, it is a fairly smooth ride actually. After some more driving I'll probably have a better idea, but I've been impressed so far. It's smoother than my old Civic at least.

I'm only 5'6", but my dad is 5'11" and he said he didn't feel cramped at all when he was driving it. I think the back seat is a lot tighter for space and would be less comfortable for a taller person, but if your brother would be mainly driving I think there's a good amount of room in the front.
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
scientist
Junior Standardshifter

Post by scientist »

Squint wrote:Not a big deal, everyone has to start learning somewhere. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was a year ago. What I was trying to ask, though it probably wasn't clear, was that I've heard the suspension is hard, as in you feel EVERY single bump in the road. It isn't smooth (think riding in a luxury car). Does it have enough room for taller person? For example, my brother is 6'2"...
I was out driving for longer this weekend, and I did feel a lot of the bumps in the road, so I have to modify my answer for you. It's still ultra fun to drive, and I'm so much more confident now too, but it can be bumpy driving.
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Well it does fulfill the stereotypes then :) Glad you enjoy it, sounds like a fun little car.

For Pony!
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Post by Charles421 »

Welcome!!!

Yep that ride home from the dealership ... I can only imagine. But hey, you got home in on piece, and you are off on the right foot. Congrats on the car and learning a valuable skill. ;)
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels