Straight-cut

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Straight-cut

Post by zender05 »

I've never driven a car with straight-cut gears. Have any of you? Is it be impractical for the street? I mean...the only thing you're losing is engine braking, correct? (i'm thinking about doin it) To those of you who will mention that it's expensive and time-consuming...I know...but I'm putting in a lsd and changing gearing in a few months, so I figure I might as well shot-peen, cyro, and generally bankrupt myself in the process. :D
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Actually most reverse gears are straight cut so theoretically many of us have driven with straight cut gears ;)
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zender05 »

Sypher wrote:Actually most reverse gears are straight cut so theoretically many of us have driven with straight cut gears ;)
True, but what makes the two different? Why is there traditionally less engine braking in a transmission with straight cut (forward :P ) gears? Or am I misinformed? My reverse gear is straight cut too...why is there so much engine braking? (for those of you who haven't driven a '05 tC...I have a ridiculous amount of engine braking in forward gears also) I know that first off, to get rid of most of it, I'll have to reduce rotational mass; and I'm doing that with a flywheel and tranny work. I also know that in order to reallly get rid of rot. mass I'll need to do block/head work...but that's hugely insane as far as pricing. And lol, I think I'm getting off topic.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Not sure how straight cut gears affects engine braking... all I know is that straight cut produces more noise (and possibly harder to get into)
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Post by victim »

straight cut gears are the ones that make alot of whine? right?

like the old muncie m22's
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

victim wrote:straight cut gears are the ones that make alot of whine? right?
yup. Just like how most reverse gears whine.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

People would be afraid of you because it will sound like you have a supercharger.