2007 Honda Fit vs some lexus sc400

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
Evaunits01
Senior Standardshifter

2007 Honda Fit vs some lexus sc400

Post by Evaunits01 »

So the story goes as following:

Crusing along on a street in Davis, when this car starts tailgating me for a good block and half. The otherlane was completely free. So i brake check the car and the lexus pulls over to the next lane. Up ahead a intersection and it turns red. The chick in the other car proceeds to look over with her guy friend next to her and backs up to line up the car. Ok games on. :evil: So it turns green and i gun it and beat the car by a bit feeling funky for that matter. Meanwhile my girlfriend in the car is like what are you doing? I casually turn to her and say just ride it out.

Hate people who tail gate then proceed to back up to the line and try to race me....
(Didnt really even feel like it)
Honda Fit Sport Manual ^.^
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: 2007 Honda Fit vs some lexus sc400

Post by watkins »

Ive gotten over brake checking. I find it far more fun to DC down a gear or two
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

+1 on DCing. I love to see the look on their face when they're inches away from my bumper then they slam the brakes.
Evaunits01
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Evaunits01 »

true, but i dont wanna risk an accident
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

And brake checking doesnt?
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

watkins wrote:And brake checking doesnt?
at least then there's lights to flash at them telling them they (and you) are being stupid. Bright flashing lights do get most peoples attention when nothing else does.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:Ive gotten over brake checking. I find it far more fun to DC down a gear or two
Yes, unless you have DBW with lag, which keeps throttle open for like 5-6 seconds sometimes. In this case the RPMs just stay up there but no deceleration.

:|
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^ That would suck :lol:

I sometimes just drive along with my left foot on the brake and that keeps the cars back, through the mountains no one keeps up so no problems with tailgater's there :lol:
<3 fwd
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

kamesama980 wrote:
at least then there's lights to flash at them telling them they (and you) are being stupid. Bright flashing lights do get most peoples attention when nothing else does.
That's why I like my 4-speed Fiero. The back-up lights come on any time you go into the gate for reverse, but reverse doesn't engage until you're really deep into the gate. So on the highway I can go into the gate for reverse and get my B/U lights to come on. That usually surprises any tailgaters enough for them to stop. I've heard of Fiero guys thinking about using high powered bulbs in their B/U lights to blind the f**k out of tailgaters too :twisted:.

Using the B/U lights doesn't present any safety issues either like brake-checking or downshifting. But my MR2 has a better way: it shoots flames out of the exhaust; I'm pretty sure that if someone were less than a foot behind the car when it happened they'd catch on fire :twisted:.

BTW nice race if you managed to beat that Lexus with your Fit. We need a thumbs-up smiley :mrgreen:.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

AHTOXA wrote:
watkins wrote:Ive gotten over brake checking. I find it far more fun to DC down a gear or two
Yes, unless you have DBW with lag, which keeps throttle open for like 5-6 seconds sometimes. In this case the RPMs just stay up there but no deceleration.

:|
Unless you have engine brake assist, which cancels out engine braking when you get off the gas. This is actually a good illustration of why this is a safety feature, expecially on a continent where few people drive stick, and few of those can downshift properly. It prevents your car from suddenly slowing without the brake lights lighting up, and thus help prevent being rear ended.

Not saying you have to like EBA; just pointing out a probable reason why the engineers who designed it thought it was worthwhile.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I think the main reason is that people are too stupid to learn how to drive correctly.
Evaunits01
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Evaunits01 »

Tinton wrote:
kamesama980 wrote:
That's why I like my 4-speed Fiero. The back-up lights come on any time you go into the gate for reverse, but reverse doesn't engage until you're really deep into the gate. So on the highway I can go into the gate for reverse and get my B/U lights to come on. That usually surprises any tailgaters enough for them to stop. I've heard of Fiero guys thinking about using high powered bulbs in their B/U lights to blind the f**k out of tailgaters too :twisted:.

Using the B/U lights doesn't present any safety issues either like brake-checking or downshifting. But my MR2 has a better way: it shoots flames out of the exhaust; I'm pretty sure that if someone were less than a foot behind the car when it happened they'd catch on fire :twisted:.

BTW nice race if you managed to beat that Lexus with your Fit. We need a thumbs-up smiley :mrgreen:.
Haha. I guess this is what happens when its like 12:30 at night and i just want to go home. Plus she backed up to line up with me... :?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I turn on my rear fog light in this situation. It's as bright as a brake light, but I don't have to change the speed of the car to light it.

Plus, most people assume I'm hitting my brakes and I just have a taillight out, so they still back off.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Haha, you only have one rear fog. Sucks for you. I have both. I think my car slipped through the inspection/removal of the second fog or whatever they do. Im 99% sure that American market Saabs of our generation are only supposed to have the one rear fog.

But then again maybe its a '99 thing. My friend's '99 9-5 has both as well.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:Haha, you only have one rear fog. Sucks for you. I have both. I think my car slipped through the inspection/removal of the second fog or whatever they do. Im 99% sure that American market Saabs of our generation are only supposed to have the one rear fog.

But then again maybe its a '99 thing. My friend's '99 9-5 has both as well.
Manufacturers will often make changes within a production year, without even announcing them:

- mid or late '06 headlight washers were removed on the GLIs and GTIs
- late '08 model two-door rabbits received a full MAF (dashboard display), mine's only half-window between the gauges
- other shit like that
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650