Twin stick transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ekincam
Junior Standardshifter

Twin stick transmission

Post by ekincam »

How does a twin stick transmission work on a truck? Is it two transmissions mated to each other?
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

I never seen it for myself, but my guess is there are 2 gearboxes. 1 gearbox is like a normal one on a car, and its output shaft is the input shaft of the 2nd gear box. So if the 1st box has 5 gears, and 2nd box has 3 gears, you have a total of 15 speeds to select from.

It's like a bicycle with derailleurs on both the front and rear sprockets. My bike has 3 in front and 7 in the rear, giving a total of 21 combinations. A lot of these combinations actually overlap. It's useless to have overlapping speeds, so on the truck in my example above the 2nd gearbox should have 3 gears that are far apart enough.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
slickRick
Senior Standardshifter

Post by slickRick »

My dad used to drive a mack truck with two shifters. It was ridiculous, sometimes you'd have to shift both at the same time and they were far apart, not an easy task. I think now most new trucks use buttons/levers on a single shifter instead of dual shifters.
Hey... shift happens!
2004 Mazda3 S ~ 5 SP MT
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w-ffkS37miQ
Holy crap :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xAADEoJpTFQ
Lol double clutching

I liked the freightliner argosy till I saw this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f6rB_HnIYzw
DW10+BE4/5L
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DW10+BE4/5L »

In the B model Mack video it seems that the driver is using the sticks in a serialized fashion, not at the same time. It also looks like the driver floats both sticks, that is doesn't use the clutch.

The International driver keeps his left hand on the steering wheel. In the beginning he floats the long shifter.

I didn't know there were two stick vehicles until I saw this. In never transmissions the range and splitter are operated conveniently with two switches on one stick. From a product development viewpoint it seems logical.

And of course the newest transmissions are fully automatic as seen in the Australian tractor.
Daywalker
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Daywalker »

wow, that is pretty sweet. I want one of those
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Twin stick transmission

Post by Bill B »

Not related to the truck shifting, but I saw an old GTO advertised with a his and hers shifter. Anyone know what that one is ?
ekincam wrote:How does a twin stick transmission work on a truck? Is it two transmissions mated to each other?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Re: Twin stick transmission

Post by hockeystyx16 »

Bill B wrote:Not related to the truck shifting, but I saw an old GTO advertised with a his and hers shifter. Anyone know what that one is ?
yea, his shifter is the gear shifter
her shifter is his dick
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

LOL. On the second youtube video, I saw this comment:
idiot wrote:Good hell, that sounds like an old gas eater to me! Whats it got, a big six Oshkosh gasser? I hear bangin, poppin and backfirin! Sounds great!haha!
The guy probably thought that the double clutching meant that the engine was malfunctioning or something :)
Pinky Demon
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Pinky Demon »

My dad has a Ford Aeromax semi. It has a dual stick like setup in which when you go through the first 6 gears, you flip a switch and you get an additional six gears. Bad thing is though, you have to downshift through each gear you traveled through.
Struck by Mazdaspeed!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Pinky Demon wrote:My dad has a Ford Aeromax semi. It has a dual stick like setup in which when you go through the first 6 gears, you flip a switch and you get an additional six gears. Bad thing is though, you have to downshift through each gear you traveled through.
why is that? why can't you just clutch in and coast or just block downshift? :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

cuz big diesels dont have a lot of powerband to block shift thru. downshifting one gear will put it close to the redline.

jumping gears would result in mechanical overrev
-Roman
95 Probelem GT