Heel Toe Experience

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Lynxmann81
Junior Standardshifter

Heel Toe Experience

Post by Lynxmann81 »

So I've been practising my heel toe downshifts and I've been getting pretty good at it. My pedal setup uses a floor mounted throttle (DBW) that's a fair distance below the brake pedal. I'm using the sides of my right foot instead of the traditional heel and toe which seems to work better.

I executed a perfectly smooth 3-2 heel toe downshift while I was following a Prius that decided to take a right turn really slowly. It felt really good; It was as if I had accomplished something cool. I guess the next step would be to incorporate double clutching in. :)

Anybody else have as much fun heel toeing as I do?

Ian
Ian
2002 Steel Gray BMW M3 6MT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

loads. DCHT is even more fun.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i double clutch heel-toe from 5th to 3rd for just about every turn i take. it's a blast. :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

haha, I DC 4-2 for almost all of my turns. I never really use 5th gear until I hit 70mph, then I can get up to 100mph and be under 3k rpm.

gotta love super overdriven gears.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i SCHT into 2nd all the time. right now im getting better almost every day at how much to blip. when i get my blips right on, ill throw DC into my HTs

sometimes at night or on empty roads with a shallower turn coming up, ill HT into 3rd and take a racing line thru the turn. its fun to do once in a while. but only if there are no cars anywhere in sight . whatever speed you take corners at now, you can go twice as fast if you take the racing line. if you wrap your car around a lightpole, im not responsible for it

as far as downshifting, i DC rev match every downshift, no exceptions. its feels much more natural to me for some reason to DC my downshifts. the 1st day i got my car from my stepbrother i did SC rev match (back then i had no clue how much to blip, id just stab at the gas) and i felt like a piece of the shift was missing.
with my very low clutch grab point (starts grabbing about 1" off the floor, FP just above that) its really a quick motion to lift my foot up just a tad while my right foot is blipping.

and i dont really feel like complicating myself with different downshifts for diferent gears. DC rev match downshift. every gear. every time.
HT downshift before every corner im not gonna have to stop at
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Mr_J
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mr_J »

Hi Guys,

I drove a 2005 Mazda 6i. The brake pedal and the accelerator are too far apart for me to just roll my foot. And I can't do an actual heel-toe because either (i) the heel of my boot rubs against the pedal well, or (ii) my knee runs into the steering column. And I really like my current driving position so I do not want to change that. I sit close enough to the steering wheel so that I don't have to extend my elbows too far in front of my torso, and I like sitting this way because it prevents me from having to extend my leg too much in order to fully disengage the clutch. So, given that I do not want to change my driving position, I think the best way to move away from single clutch rev-matched downshifts would be an after-market pedal extender. Does anyone have any experience with these? And if so, do you know what would be a good place or type of store to find one, and how expensive they are?

Thanks.

Mr_J
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

dont twist your foot all over trying to actually brake with the toe and blip with the heel. you can, but its not necessary on the street (on a track tho, you want threshhold braking, then you twist your foot.)

keep your foot straight up and down. left side of your foot brakes. then just roll your ankle right to blip. its much more natural motion.

or just ask six how he HTs. he drives a MS6, pedals cant be much different

if you get aftermarket pedals, make sure to get the ones that bolt onto the metal part of the pedal. the ones that clip onto the stock pedals are pure garbage
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Mr_J
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mr_J »

hockeystyx16,

In fact the difference between the 6 and the speed 6 is night and day. Today, while getting my car serviced, I had a chance to sit in a speed 3, and I was able to roll my ankle onto the accelerator whilst having my foot on the brake. I cannot do the same with my car, unfortunately. Thank you for your recommendation regarding the aftermarket pedals. I will definitely look into that.

Mr_J
vtec2
Junior Standardshifter

hm

Post by vtec2 »

hm what is the DCHT? How is it done?
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Re: hm

Post by NonChalant »

vtec2 wrote:hm what is the DCHT? How is it done?
Double-Clutch Heel-Toe

Drop the shifter into neutral (clutch out), rev match, and then go to the lower gear. (As opposed to simply rev matching when the clutch is down).

You use the clutch twice = Double Clutch
jomotopia

Re: hm

Post by jomotopia »

NonChalant wrote:
vtec2 wrote:hm what is the DCHT? How is it done?
Double-Clutch Heel-Toe

Drop the shifter into neutral (clutch out), rev match, and then go to the lower gear. (As opposed to simply rev matching when the clutch is down).

You use the clutch twice = Double Clutch
that's the DC part. the HT part you brake with part of your right foot and blip the throttle for the rev match with another part of your right foot. allowing you to brake and rev match at the same time.
vtec2
Junior Standardshifter

hm

Post by vtec2 »

so going to the turn, saying im in 4th gear, I shift to neutral, rev match, shift into 3rd than ht?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

approach turn in 4th
brake
clutch in
shift to neutral while still braking
clutch out
rev match while still braking
clutch in
shift to 3rd
clutch out
vtec2
Junior Standardshifter

hm

Post by vtec2 »

wouldnt it seem that the normal heel toe would be quicker t han this?
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

it depends. I can do a DCHT downshift faster than a SCHT, because when you properly rev match it, there is no resistance from the syncros, and the stick almost gets sucked into the gear. This makes it much quicker to get in gear, and then you can almost dump the clutch.

It takes practice, and it took me about 4 months to get awesome DCHT almost every time, but its well worth it.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs