Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Depends if you're looking new or old. I had an Escape with the 2.5, identical to the current model but for minor cosmetic differences) and it was pretty decently spacious and the mileage was pretty good for a rolling brick. It was FWD and did fine even during winter. If you're looking new and plan on keeping it awhile I'd personally avoid the CR-V because CVT.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:i assume she's considering an SUV/CUV with having a family in mind, or maybe otherwise carrying lots of awkward stuff (skool supplies??) around?? she might very well be better off looking at minivans with their bigger space and passenger carrying capabilities. the small SUVs/CUVs may be cheaper than the minivans, but they don't have as much space, sliding doors etc. plus a lot of these newer SUVs are not trucks anymore so they don't have that over the minivans in FWD form.
Well said.

However, you failed to address one major issue: Cost. Minivans are surprisingly expensive and those compact SUVs/crossovers are not. New, minivans' higher MSRP could potentially be offset by incentives and pricing flexibility, I'm not sure...nor am I sure about differences in depreciation/used prices.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:i assume she's considering an SUV/CUV with having a family in mind, or maybe otherwise carrying lots of awkward stuff (skool supplies??) around?? she might very well be better off looking at minivans with their bigger space and passenger carrying capabilities. the small SUVs/CUVs may be cheaper than the minivans, but they don't have as much space, sliding doors etc. plus a lot of these newer SUVs are not trucks anymore so they don't have that over the minivans in FWD form. of the SUVs you mention, the CR-V would be my recommendation. i'd go to jersey or westchester to get a decent deal though (might have to go to southern jersey to find a FWD model anyway). all that said, i'm not sure i would pass up AWD just because she works in a school. at least up here, the schools don't always close when it's bad out. :shock: 8)
Depends if you're looking new or old. I had an Escape with the 2.5, identical to the current model but for minor cosmetic differences) and it was pretty decently spacious and the mileage was pretty good for a rolling brick. It was FWD and did fine even during winter. If you're looking new and plan on keeping it awhile I'd personally avoid the CR-V because CVT.
Well said.

However, you failed to address one major issue: Cost. Minivans are surprisingly expensive and those compact SUVs/crossovers are not. New, minivans' higher MSRP could potentially be offset by incentives and pricing flexibility, I'm not sure...nor am I sure about differences in depreciation/used prices.
Definitely needed to add more context to the question and presentation and my apologies for that. So her lease on her Civic is ending beginning early next year. Brand's we've been visiting have been licking their chops because it's at the end of a fiscal quarter which I assume they don't do well in. She's looking up to continuing leasing and actually putting a small down payment of 2-3k on (she hasn't done this because all she leases is Civic LX's).

A three year lease in 2018 forecasting what can be near-definite in life events.
* Getting Married at the end of 2018
* Most likely will be moving in 2018 - this probably won't effect her as much as it will effect me. I plan on moving out closer where she lives (for potown; out east on Long Island. I'm assuming my work commute is going to probably nearly double in miles.)
* By year 3 of this car could potentially see a baby.

We want to be prepared for anything obviously and she has expressed interest in being in a larger vehicle. I think it's going to be a hard sell for her to get into something like an Elantra GT wagon, Golf Sportwagen, Subaru Crosstrek. I think this would be a more natural progression for her and a better value... but the problem is the space behind the rear seats with the rear seats up is a down side.

So with all of this being said, some summary points. Cost will ultimately be a huge priority I believe. On the flip side that's offsetting with this is she's not a feature snob either. Her last two cars literally still have plastic hub caps... and are base models. The problem with base models in the compact suv segment is that they feel extremely stripped. If she can ballpark in the 25-26k range I think we walk away happy. In that range for the cars mentioned above you can basically get something fully loaded. Another thing to note is she has the "luxury" of not needing to pay for gas though that may change in the next 3 years. She literally has been on a corporate plan through her fathers business where she hasn't paid for gas since she learned to drive in a decade ago.

My original public opinion here for SUV's that didn't have AWD was "uninformed buys" but ironically I'm weighing this option a bit. She's never driven an AWD vehicle before, she would rather benefit from lower costs (up front and running), and the need for AWD is not really there for either of us.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:My original public opinion here for SUV's that didn't have AWD was "uninformed buys"
In the past a 2WD SUV was pretty pointless and usually just for vanity (with some exceptions for heavy towing with truck-based SUVs). These days the SUV/crossover is most of what's available on the market to fill roles previously occupied by other types of vehicles; if the few non-SUV models available for a particular role aren't satisfactory then you're pretty much forced into the SUV category. The SUVs filling those roles have evolved into increasingly reasonable role-fillers, taking on the characteristics (such as reduced height, increased fuel economy, etc) of the models they're displacing, so they're not as misfit as they used to be. Fewer lone-commuter office dwellers are clogging the road in pointlessly huge empty behemoths.

I'd still rather see the SUV (and sometimes pickup) category NOT be the gratuitous default for the general market with everything else being weird, but que sera sera.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I personally would try to steer her toward a larger sedan like an Accord, Passat or Mazda 6 (all three offer good lease deals). I wouldn’t put down more than 1500 on a lease though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
theholycow wrote:
An inactivated smartphone (or even dumbphone for that matter) with a big microSD card is an effective device. Make sure it's sdxc compatible and slap in a 512GB card. Carry another and swap it in easily for a terabyte, or wait a little longer for terabyte cards to hit the market. Wait, nix that, the 1TB cards already exist https://www.sandisk.com/about/media-cen ... -SDXC-card
Thing is, not many phones will support that much storage. And definitely not dumb phones.
i thought apple was the only one who did this no SD card thing, but now a lot of them are doing it. Apple also seems to have paved the way for the invisible headphone jack, as others have adopted this practice. price gouging on upgraded storage bothers me a little. what really bothers me is they had this new iOS 11 in beta for what seemed like forever, and now it's glitchy as all get-up and eating batteries. they've had one update already but it was for something else. hope they fix the glitching soon so i'm not reminded of why i left android.
Samsung tried it with the S6 (no extra storage) but after the backlash they have added that back in starting with the S7 and onward.

Speaking of phones. I switched to T-Mobile about a month ago and couldn't be happier. They have really built their network in the last 3-4 years. It's nothing like their spotty network back in 2014; not even mentioning before. They went from a fairly janky carrier reception-wise to quite good, even outside of the metro areas.

Also, for the first time in a while I didn't opt for the latest and greatest phone. In fact, I was testing the Note 8 over a period of 3 months or so before it was publicly released. It's a great phone, but I couldn't see myself spending nearly a grand on it. So when I went to TMO, I ended up getting an LG G6. No regrets.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Also, for the first time in a while I didn't opt for the latest and greatest phone. In fact, I was testing the Note 8 over a period of 3 months or so before it was publicly released. It's a great phone, but I couldn't see myself spending nearly a grand on it. So when I went to TMO, I ended up getting an LG G6. No regrets.
As long as you are happy with your algae,....
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From SNL Weekend Update:

"LG has introduced a phone that emits ultrasonic waves which it says will keep mosquitoes away.... from your new brain tumor"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
Thing is, not many phones will support that much storage. And definitely not dumb phones.
i thought apple was the only one who did this no SD card thing, but now a lot of them are doing it. Apple also seems to have paved the way for the invisible headphone jack, as others have adopted this practice. price gouging on upgraded storage bothers me a little. what really bothers me is they had this new iOS 11 in beta for what seemed like forever, and now it's glitchy as all get-up and eating batteries. they've had one update already but it was for something else. hope they fix the glitching soon so i'm not reminded of why i left android.
Samsung tried it with the S6 (no extra storage) but after the backlash they have added that back in starting with the S7 and onward.

Speaking of phones. I switched to T-Mobile about a month ago and couldn't be happier. They have really built their network in the last 3-4 years. It's nothing like their spotty network back in 2014; not even mentioning before. They went from a fairly janky carrier reception-wise to quite good, even outside of the metro areas.

Also, for the first time in a while I didn't opt for the latest and greatest phone. In fact, I was testing the Note 8 over a period of 3 months or so before it was publicly released. It's a great phone, but I couldn't see myself spending nearly a grand on it. So when I went to TMO, I ended up getting an LG G6. No regrets.
that G6 looks nice bro. heard the LG android experience is good too. :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:I personally would try to steer her toward a larger sedan like an Accord, Passat or Mazda 6 (all three offer good lease deals). I wouldn’t put down more than 1500 on a lease though.
She's been bitten by the height bug on these test drives. She's never going to value anything of driving dynamics and is basically looking for something that has practicality and height. I really don't even think she would truly benefit from AWD either but I never want to say "never"- and then be caught without it.

Our number 1 collectively so far has been the Mazda CX5 though. I'm looking forward to visiting Hyundai though- think the Tucson for her could be up there and I also am personally intrigued by the Elantra Sport / GT variant. Hyundai at this point has probably one of the best corporate beaks in the business; and probably overall aesthetics for that manner.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:I personally would try to steer her toward a larger sedan like an Accord, Passat or Mazda 6 (all three offer good lease deals). I wouldn’t put down more than 1500 on a lease though.
She's been bitten by the height bug on these test drives. She's never going to value anything of driving dynamics and is basically looking for something that has practicality and height. I really don't even think she would truly benefit from AWD either but I never want to say "never"- and then be caught without it.

Our number 1 collectively so far has been the Mazda CX5 though. I'm looking forward to visiting Hyundai though- think the Tucson for her could be up there and I also am personally intrigued by the Elantra Sport / GT variant. Hyundai at this point has probably one of the best corporate beaks in the business; and probably overall aesthetics for that manner.
Hyundai retail program aims for faster transactions, more transparency
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017101 ... news-blast
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/ ... -assurance
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If there's gonna be any "Steering" on this site, don't you think that theholycow should be doing the steering? I'm quite sure he knows more about steers than you have forgotten......yeah.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sema tummy......

HYUNDAI’S WILD IONIQ SEMA CONCEPT- from Autoline Daily
And speaking of Hyundai, it’s taking a wildly different approach to one of its SEMA concepts. The HyperEconiq Ioniq integrates the best of hypermiling, economy and friction technologies into one package. Highlights include rear fender skirts, low rolling resistance tires mounted to skinny 5-inch wide carbon fiber wheels, aluminum brake calipers, an aero kit, coilover suspension to minimize ground clearance, enhanced e-generators and optimizing the air/fuel mixture. Combined fuel economy is said to be well over 80MPG, which is way better than the base car’s 58.

http://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2415
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: I'd still rather see the SUV (and sometimes pickup) category NOT be the gratuitous default for the general market with everything else being weird, but que sera sera.
"Que Sera, Sera"

When I was just a little calf
I asked my mother cow
What will I drive
Will it be sporty
Will it be trucky
Here's what she said to me

Que sera, sera
Whatever you drive, you'll drive
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What you drive, you'll drive

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart bull
What lies ahead
Will we have minivans
year after year
Here's a buncha bull he gave me

Que sera, sera
Que sera, sera

Now I have calfs of my own
They ask their mother cow
What will I drive
Will it be a tall car
Will it be a small car
I tell them cowardly

Que sera, sera
Que sera, sera
Que Sera, Sera
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:i thought apple was the only one who did this no SD card thing, but now a lot of them are doing it. Apple also seems to have paved the way for the invisible headphone jack, as others have adopted this practice. price gouging on upgraded storage bothers me a little. what really bothers me is they had this new iOS 11 in beta for what seemed like forever, and now it's glitchy as all get-up and eating batteries. they've had one update already but it was for something else. hope they fix the glitching soon so i'm not reminded of why i left android.

that G6 looks nice bro. heard the LG android experience is good too. :D
I'm going to see how the long-term experience is with LG vs. Samsung. I have read that it's fairly common for Samsung phones to slow down significantly over time; not sure due to what. I have noticed this with every single Samsung I've ever had, including my current S7, which is my work phone. That phone is so slow now, that when people call me, it shows a blank screen for a few rings before the normal caller ID screen comes up. It's pretty bad...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650