Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: 175 miles isn't all that much, really. My longest drives (with stops for gas but not to sleep or rest) have been right at 1050 miles. 15.5-16 hours. I've done that 5 times over the last 6 years. On my motorcycle, the current longest ride has been 250 miles with stops only for gas. I ride to MotoGP in Austin once a year, that's >500 miles in two days, 250 each day.
i think it's hard for a lot of people to understand how bad the first 60 miles or so of teamworm's ride can be. he has to take some of the most congested roads in NY state, let alone NYC. i'd imagine he takes southern state parkway west through long island, then the belt parkway through queens and brooklyn (NYC boroughs), then over the verrazzano bridge onto the staten island expressway, taking that across SI to NJ. alternately, he could take another busy LI parkway or expressway to another congested NYC highway, to the verrazzano bridge etc. this 60 mile stretch is almost always congested and, at absolute best, will take 1.5 hours to complete (during the day at least). The Jersey Turnpike (95) and Garden State Parkway are usually much less congested, but but then poor teampork is already wasted by then. for someone like me who will most likely have dealt with little to no traffic coming from upstate NY, the garden state and jersey turnpike are a nice relaxing ride, especially the stretches through southern jersey :) :P 8) :twisted: :mrgreen:
Just finished placing an order for new moto gear. Decided to upgrade my current stuff now that it's been a few years riding and I know exactly what I want and don't want in the gear I'm looking for.

Let's see. New boots, pants, jacket and an upgraded back protector for the jack. Today was a spendy day.
epic winning 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NO CARS WERE HURT IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS STUNT

A witness told WCVB-TV in Massachusetts that a Jeep Cherokee suddenly accelerated in one of the auction lanes and hit several people before crashing through the building.

The driver “avoided the cars and went on to hit the people who were standing between the cars,” Woody Tuttle, an employee at Lynnway, told the station. “Three [men] were on the ground being tended to. There was a woman who was crying, but she was standing up, and I saw two men on the ground who appeared to be dead.”

Another witness told WCVB that the vehicle was travelling at speeds as high as 40 mph.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/le ... z4gA3UQiev
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I believe it was actually a WK1. The KL cant chirp the tires and one witness claimed to have heard a tire chirp. I know it wasn't an XJ. And nobody I know who goes there was hurt. That's a good thing or a bad thing depending on which of the people I'm referring to.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:The KL cant chirp the tires and one witness claimed to have heard a tire chirp.
Potential alternate explanations for chirp observation:

1. Not a tire chirp, some other sound.

2. Chirp of tire being abused laterally or otherwise not a torque+traction type.

3. Tire pressure wrong, tire wet, or tire went from sand to clean pavement while at peak torque in 1st gear.

4. Surface not the same as the common dry pavement on which you've based your benchmark for chirpability, allowing chirp with less power.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The article now says 2006 Grand Cherokee.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sink the mayonnaise!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:i think it's hard for a lot of people to understand how bad the first 60 miles or so of teamworm's ride can be. he has to take some of the most congested roads in NY state, let alone NYC. i'd imagine he takes southern state parkway west through long island, then the belt parkway through queens and brooklyn (NYC boroughs), then over the verrazzano bridge onto the staten island expressway, taking that across SI to NJ. alternately, he could take another busy LI parkway or expressway to another congested NYC highway, to the verrazzano bridge etc. this 60 mile stretch is almost always congested and, at absolute best, will take 1.5 hours to complete (during the day at least). The Jersey Turnpike (95) and Garden State Parkway are usually much less congested, but but then poor teampork is already wasted by then. for someone like me who will most likely have dealt with little to no traffic coming from upstate NY, the garden state and jersey turnpike are a nice relaxing ride, especially the stretches through southern jersey :) :P 8) :twisted: :mrgreen:
Haha, nailed the route really much spot on. It's really getting out of NY that's the fatiguing and draining part... I probably averaged under 15 mph (parkway driving) for the first hour alone and literally would barely see past 2nd gear- shuffling in and out of 1st. I didn't expected the miles amount to be all that impressive but this is easily the most treacherous and lengthiest driving I've ever done with stick so far.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I heard that New York City is so crowded that nobody goes there anymore.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:The KL cant chirp the tires and one witness claimed to have heard a tire chirp.
Potential alternate explanations for chirp observation:

1. Not a tire chirp, some other sound.

2. Chirp of tire being abused laterally or otherwise not a torque+traction type.

3. Tire pressure wrong, tire wet, or tire went from sand to clean pavement while at peak torque in 1st gear.

4. Surface not the same as the common dry pavement on which you've based your benchmark for chirpability, allowing chirp with less power.
1. Yeah, potentially, but these are people who spend an awful lot of time around cars and should probably have an idea of what the noise was. Its a distinct enough noise.

2. Not possible in the constraints of the building.

3. Nope. That makes a scuff noise more often than not.

4. Just not possible. Actually not possible. A KL cannot chirp tires no matter what you do. Its programmed not to be possible.

That, and the one picture I did see was indicative of a WK1, which the Uninteresting One has since confirmed.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Fantastic day today.

Hiking in the morning for a couple hours. Followed by a fantastic 15 mile trail ride. Took a dirt nap once because the front tire washed out hard in a tight right-hander but no damage to bike. Followed by dinner, a couple of beers and a relaxing evening. Also got a gift from an old friend of mine. He sent me a Spiderco Manix 2 Lightweight, which makes it perfect for backpacking and hiking duties. This is my first Spiderco (surprisingly, because I have a lot knives), but I think I'll be ordering another one in a couple of weeks, that's how much I was impressed with the one my friend sent me.

Also yesterday did more hiking, more exploring.

Fantastic weekend; too bad it was short as always.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I drove down South to Canada this weekend and visited Point Pelee National Park.

"Parks Canada is inviting Canadians and visitors from around the world to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary at our national treasures from coast to coast to coast.

To mark this special year, we’re offering free admission to all Parks Canada locations, and we want you to join us for the celebration."

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-travel/admission
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Autopalooza 2017 has started!
Southeast Michigan car shows and cruises
http://www.autopalooza.org/

The Packard Proving Ground has some events scheduled as well.
http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Coming%20Events.htm

CEMA Show on Grounds of FCA Headquarters and Tech Center Saturday, June 10th
http://www.cemaclub.org/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Thanx, I depreciate that!

VEHICLE DEPRECIATION ACCELERATES
We’ve been reporting on how prices of used cars are falling in the U.S. market because so many cars are coming off lease. And that is increasing the depreciation rate of new cars. Hertz says its depreciation rates increased 15% in the first quarter. It says new cars are now depreciating at a rate of $348 a month. When people figure out the cost of operating a new car they often overlook the depreciation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... x-business
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

On the heels of the successful "Vowels for Bosnia" campaign, I'm starting "Dust for China".
I plan to contract with an airplane to dump dust from American Vacuum cleaners into the air over China's most polluted cities in order to save the Chinese from lung diseases.

I've got a theme song and everything!

First we need to ask people to contribute their dust to our cause instead of throwing it in the trash.
Then we have to send the dust to China.
Last we have the pilot disperse the dust as he flies over Chinese cities.
Are you with me on this? How difficult could it be?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39895558
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:On the heels of the successful "Vowels for Bosnia" campaign, I'm starting "Dust for China".
I plan to contract with an airplane to dump dust from American Vacuum cleaners into the air over China's most polluted cities in order to save the Chinese from lung diseases.
[/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12DeNdF0KPA[/youtube]
I've got a theme song and everything!

First we need to ask people to contribute their dust to our cause instead of throwing it in the trash.
Then we have to send the dust to China.
Last we have the pilot disperse the dust as he flies over Chinese cities.
Are you with me on this? How difficult could it be?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39895558
as long as you don't dump it over the prison camp cities. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.