Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:.

Anyone going to the Detroit auto show this coming weekend?
Eye maybe.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Anyway, here's a photo of the Buick hauling two bargain clearance freezers home.
A friend once told me he brought home a washer or a dryer in the back of his Omni and he was even able to close the hatch, but aren't those receiver hitch trays the best for hauling sumpin' with your passenger vehicle? Next best is having a utility trailer to tow behind. After that, you're into pick-m-ups and vans.

I have a hitch tray from Hebrew Freight for hauling my snowthrower. I got the model that has a short fence around the perimiter and a ramp/gate at the curb side so I can drive the snowthrower up there with no lifting required.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It really is great, but it sure does exacerbate my car's inherent family trait of sagging rear end. I tried to give it a butt lift with load-assist shock absorbers:

It helps, but nowhere near enough.

With the length of overhang involved, shorter front tires would cantilever the rear up a little, and those wheels that I just scored at the junkyard have tires with a shorter size, which I've been meaning to try at the front.

Lowering the front would help too, of course...but if I'm getting into spring work then of course it makes sense to put in some taller, stiffer rear springs. If it had leaf springs I could just give it blocks between the axle and spring like a pickup. With coil springs, which don't mount so easily, I don't think that's viable. Gotta figure out where to get appropriate springs, maybe that 1992 Roadmaster wagon I've been looting lately.

Or maybe I should try air adjustable shocks.

A zillion years ago I had an old Cadillac with OEM air adjustable shocks and a non-functional computerized auto-leveling system. I did a little plumbing and gave myself schraeder valves in the trunk, pumped them up with a compressor, it was leaky. Then I filled them with some fix-a-flat and went to the gas station to pump them up again. Worked great until I drove out of the gas station's entrance, where going down the large bump made the shocks go "pop" and left fix-a-flat goop on the road...

Then of course there are air bags that you place inside the coil spring.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

Eye maybe.
Then I might see you there. We're planning on going on Saturday, I think.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:

Eye maybe.
Then I might see you there. We're planning on going on Saturday, I think.
It's so crowded there on the weekend that nobody goes there anymore.

I'd try to get there early....really early....parking on the roof of Cobo Center (so close you can leave your coat in the car), getting your tickets and standing in line until they open doors to the exhibit halls. Then, see the exhibits just inside the doors first and work your way to the back area displays. Snack on some Mackinac island fudge to keep you going and then go to Greektown or Mexican village for a real meal after you leave the show. Slows or Rubz BBQs are also good choices.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:It's so crowded there on the weekend that nobody goes there anymore.

I'd try to get there early....really early....parking on the roof of Cobo Center (so close you can leave your coat in the car), getting your tickets and standing in line until they open doors to the exhibit halls. Then, see the exhibits just inside the doors first and work your way to the back area displays. Snack on some Mackinac island fudge to keep you going and then go to Greektown or Mexican village for a real meal after you leave the show. Slows or Rubz BBQs are also good choices.
That's the basic plan. Get there early and be done looking around by midday. And Mackinac Island fudge is a requirement. I used to have family that lived on the island and made home made fudge... *drools*

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:It's so crowded there on the weekend that nobody goes there anymore.

That's the basic plan. Get there early and be done looking around by midday. And Mackinac Island fudge is a requirement. I used to have family that lived on the island and made home made fudge... *drools*
Sorta like no matter how you prepare it, if you're in France and you toast some bread, it's French toast, right?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Sorta like no matter how you prepare it, if you're in France and you toast some bread, it's French toast, right?
Yup, toast.

However, we might end up not going - people are sick. :(

Is anyone else having issues where the site logs them out randomly going between forums or while attempting to post? Or is it just these computers I'm using?

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote: Is anyone else having issues where the site logs them out randomly going between forums or while attempting to post? Or is it just these computers I'm using?
"Not Me!" Said the Flea
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Sorta like no matter how you prepare it, if you're in France and you toast some bread, it's French toast, right?
Yup, toast.

However, we might end up not going - people are sick. :(

Is anyone else having issues where the site logs them out randomly going between forums or while attempting to post? Or is it just these computers I'm using?
it acted like that while trying to post last night, but it didn't really log me out (and hitting the back button the rubbish i was trying to post was still there). the site was having major connectivity issues though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I like those Harbor Freight hitch haulers. I bought my generator and jump pack from HF. I Remember the old Dodge Omni. You could haul some stuff in the old hatchbacks. We used to haul a lot of stuff in my dad's old hatchback Chevette.
Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:Anyway, here's a photo of the Buick hauling two bargain clearance freezers home.
A friend once told me he brought home a washer or a dryer in the back of his Omni and he was even able to close the hatch, but aren't those receiver hitch trays the best for hauling sumpin' with your passenger vehicle? Next best is having a utility trailer to tow behind. After that, you're into pick-m-ups and vans.

I have a hitch tray from Hebrew Freight for hauling my snowthrower. I got the model that has a short fence around the perimiter and a ramp/gate at the curb side so I can drive the snowthrower up there with no lifting required.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

My dad was visiting here in TX beginning last Saturday and through this past Wednesday. Weather was mostly a miss, but it was still a good time. It was good seeing the old man given that I see him maybe once a year or so.

The big question is whether I'm going to get up before 6am tomorrow morning and drive an hour away in order to do some bird photography. I have a feeling I'm going to be sleeping in instead.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: The big question is whether I'm going to get up before 6am tomorrow morning and drive an hour away in order to do some bird photography. I have a feeling I'm going to be sleeping in instead.
The early bird gets the worm....you DO want the worm too, right?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Bill B wrote:I like those Harbor Freight hitch haulers. I bought my generator and jump pack from HF. I Remember the old Dodge Omni. You could haul some stuff in the old hatchbacks. We used to haul a lot of stuff in my dad's old hatchback Chevette.
My HF hitch hauler was an open-box bargain, though not as much a bargain as those freezers!

I also scored a Hitch Haul brand folding receiver bar at Walmart for $10. It allows me to fold my HF hitch hauler up when not using it, and also gives me a hitch ball so I can tow my trailer without having to remove the hitch hauler assembly. Oh, and now the hitch hauler is higher for more clearance, though obviously higher to load and higher center of gravity for stuff I'm hauling; and meanwhile the ball mount's nut is now what scrapes with even lower clearance, but I just laugh it off. When it wears down I'll replace it...the ball nut is a wear item. :lol:

In high school a good buddy of mine had a Dodge Omni. I didn't respect that car back then but I kinda get it now. Another had a beat to shit 1980 Mustang hatchback with a 4-banger. It looked and seemed more like an Omni than a Mustang at the time. That thing took a licking and kept on ticking. I had an old Caddy kinda similar to my current Buick...somehow that Caddy survived my abuse and ham-handed (instead of cow-hoofed) attempts at DIY.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Bill B wrote:I like those Harbor Freight hitch haulers. I bought my generator and jump pack from HF. I Remember the old Dodge Omni. You could haul some stuff in the old hatchbacks. We used to haul a lot of stuff in my dad's old hatchback Chevette.
My HF hitch hauler was an open-box bargain, though not as much a bargain as those freezers!

I also scored a Hitch Haul brand folding receiver bar at Walmart for $10. It allows me to fold my HF hitch hauler up when not using it, and also gives me a hitch ball so I can tow my trailer without having to remove the hitch hauler assembly. Oh, and now the hitch hauler is higher for more clearance, though obviously higher to load and higher center of gravity for stuff I'm hauling; and meanwhile the ball mount's nut is now what scrapes with even lower clearance, but I just laugh it off. When it wears down I'll replace it...the ball nut is a wear item. :lol:

In high school a good buddy of mine had a Dodge Omni. I didn't respect that car back then but I kinda get it now. Another had a beat to shit 1980 Mustang hatchback with a 4-banger. It looked and seemed more like an Omni than a Mustang at the time. That thing took a licking and kept on ticking. I had an old Caddy kinda similar to my current Buick...somehow that Caddy survived my abuse and ham-handed (instead of cow-hoofed) attempts at DIY.
Eye wunce hauled 27 yards of sod hoam in my Chevy Vega hatchback. It was purt neer riding on the suspension bump-stops owl the whey hoam. Good thing the trip was less than 5 miles and traffic was light.
A lot like this, except Blue, with White Stripes and white interior.